Shelfari and Good Reads

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LadyViolet
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Shelfari and Good Reads

Post by LadyViolet »

I did have a shelfari account but i couldn't be bothered to scour through loads of pages to find the books i wanted - i deleted my account a couple of weeks ago.
I now have a LibraryThing account which is soo easy to use but i've used up my 200 book limit on a free account so either i open a second account to put the rest of my books on or i borrow my dad's Amex card to get a years membership :lol:
*Does crazy dance with vampire penguin*
I'm staying!!!
I'm on The List :D
Jess & Rach - Valek's girls ;)
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I haven't had trouble finding books. Especially if I know the name of the book or the author. I have had trouble finding books I vaguely know the name of or don't know the author at all.

I am proud to say that I joined the 50 book challenge this year and I'm already up to book 13. I think I'll go back and put the pages numbers - that seemed really cool Nima. I am thinking I should have been like Variety and do 100 books. My hubby even laughed at me when I said I was doing the 50 book challenge. He said, what that's 50 books in month? When I told him a year, he laughed and said "How many times will you do 50 books this year?" He mocks my love of reading! :evil:
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
LadyViolet
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LadyViolet »

My problem was that the books i have are mostly british editions so the covers are often different to the american ones and i wanted them to match (like the freaky obsessed person i am)
*Does crazy dance with vampire penguin*
I'm staying!!!
I'm on The List :D
Jess & Rach - Valek's girls ;)
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Lady Violet, I understand how you feel about the covers being different. I'm very picky too, but I've learned to deal with it on most books. The Twilight Saga and Harry Potter were the main ones I wanted to have the right covers for. Have you checked the extra covers out? They have tons and tons of covers for a lot of books, there just not default, so you just have to select them.

Una, I'm glad you joined the 50 challenge group. I did last year, but I didn't make it, but I read more books than I ever have in a year! I love keeping track of the pages too.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

UNA! You are putting me to shame on the 50 book challange! I have finished 2 books and I am in the middle of 2 more.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Spooky, I'm not only a fast reader but I'm a voracious reader. Noone really shouldn't keep pace with me. The only way I'm able to keep pace with TwiMom and the DH series is that I wait for books at library (reading other books while I wait). Currently I have a stack of 7 library books, 6 books loaned to me by friends and three books given to me for Christmas to read. Yeah *smiles sheepishly* I'm a book addict! Yesterday I read a 225 (+/-) book in a day. That's on my breaks at work, standing at line to get food, the two hours snuggling with hubby before bed.... Yeah...it's insanity. :? :oops:
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I am jealous that you are a fast reader UNA and I do not get jealous very often. Maybe envious is a better word. I am clearly getting back into the book addict world, but being dyslexic always made me a slow reader, but I love stories and books. I read about 7 pages in 10 minutes if I do not get sidetracked. I've timed myself. I have actually practiced speed reading.

I just requested to trade books for like 5 of the DH series off paperbackswap.com (whish is awesome) However, I do not have book one yet... but i am preparing. I have a ton of credits and I rarly use them. I also bought the first (I think) changling series book form half price books. By the time I aquire all the books on my to be read list, I'll have about 30-40 books waiting for me! That would scare me if I had not taken the challange LOL but I'm determined to at least impress myself. Looking back it is an unrealistic goal, but I am going to give it 110% effort.

I don't get breaks at work. I've practically stopped watching TV to read. I have to make deals with myself to get housework done... 1 chapter = folding a basket of laundry. etc...

I love the library but I could never borrow a series from the library because I don't read fast enough. In fact, I got the Host from the library (I had NO idea that it was such a massive book) and I am like 2 weeks overdue, but I know if I return it, I won't get another copy for a long time. It's all good though, right. Reading is good!

I still can't properly use chagrin in a sentence. Would you exchange say chagrin means dissapointed? I have looked it up (thanks to S. Meyers and David Cook) but I don't get it. This is a Dyslexic issue. My head can not make a picture for the word.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
x. Jessica-Louise .x
Lusting for Blood

Post by x. Jessica-Louise .x »

I have the same problem as Ladyviolet I have a shelfari but it never has the covers I want for the UK :| and I like them to match.

My aunt also loves to read but reads slow as she is Dyslexic. She envys me being able to read so fast. I haven't joined a book challenge but I easily read between 50 to 100 books a year.

Ladyviolet has requested a book addicts thread so hopefully that should be up soon so us book addicts can have a good old chat about books! :D
Edward, Eммεтт, Jasper, Seth, Ian, Jared,
Dιмιтrι, Mason, Peeta, Rhage, Heath, Erik,
Stark, Dαмεη...Boys in books are just вεттεя
una

Post by una »

Great, I'd love to have a book addicts thread!

Spooky you are wonderful as you are...you shouldn't compare yourself to others. I'm sure, positively that you have some talent I'd be jealous of. If only the grass wasn't always greener on the other side. The problem/draw back with my voracious, fast reading is I miss stuff, sometimes I miss stuff a lot. So I end up going back a lot, rereading sections and such. I once read a whole book and when it was done...I couldn't remember most of the story. It wasn't' a great book to begin with but, geez, you think I'd remember more of the overall plot. It has its advantages but it has its disadvantages too. Do you find you have a similar problem Jessica-Louise?

The covers issue is true. I get annoyed that I have books that were released in the US (and may be second releases) and the covers don't match. Luckily my OC (obsessive compulsiveness - it's not a disorder because it doesn't prevent me from living....) isn't so bad with it that I HAVE to have the covers match from shelfari to the book I have but I can completely sympathize with those of you that do. It bugs me more when you have a paperback series and then the next book comes out in hardback first. Grr....I HATE having to wait longer to get the paperback so they all match!!!

Oh and speaking of good reads...has anyone heard of the Mercy Thompson series, by Patricia Briggs? I hear a new book is coming out. It's a great series...not YA, it's urban/paranormal fantasy but really good!
x. Jessica-Louise .x
Lusting for Blood

Post by x. Jessica-Louise .x »

una: Yeah I used to be really bad with that. I've been known to buy the same book twice get half way through and be like oh I've read this :lol: I'm a lot better now though seems I keep a record of what I've read on my facebook and shelfari. I read slower than I used to so I can take the story in more and think about stuff. I'm awful for stopping on a sentence and pondering over it for ages :roll:
Edward, Eммεтт, Jasper, Seth, Ian, Jared,
Dιмιтrι, Mason, Peeta, Rhage, Heath, Erik,
Stark, Dαмεη...Boys in books are just вεттεя