Required School Reading

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Re: Required School Reading

Post by Amethyst1 »

Right now in English, we read "Flowers For Algernon" and wow. such a capivating book. With such depth and insight. It teaches you to be considerate. It's such a beautiful book, and the ending was...sad, because it's like nothing happened and as if time reversed itself. I defiantly recommend it!

I am not sure what we're reading next. I am in the 10th grade.

and last year we only read "a midsummer night's dream" - yeahhhh, i wasn't paying much attention. but i've got the basic storyline.
Last edited by Amethyst1 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strawberry
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by strawberry »

Last year we had to read The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman. It´s a really good book but also very sad. I nearly started crying not just once in school while reading it.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Flowers for Algernon was SO good!!! I remember seeing the movie on the short lived thing called a lazer disk. In Jr. high. It was pre-dvd and the size of a vinal record! I read the book and loved that also.

Wow, some of you have to read a lot of painful books! I liked Into Thin Air but I didn't like Into the Wild nearly as much.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

I loved Flowers for Algernon. It made me cry. We read that one in Grade Nine, i think.

I went to high school in the 80s so the teachers stuck pretty close to the "classics" or standard reading lists.

For Shakespeare we read Romeo & Juliet, Julius Caesar, King Lear.
We read Lord of the Flies, On the Beach (which was great), Stone Angel, To Kill a Mockingbird, Death of a Salesman, Beowulf, and A LOT of short stories. We were assigned Wuthering Heights and my classmates refused to read it.

I would have loved to have read a lot of the books everyone else was assigned. Catcher in the Rye was one we fought for but didn't get.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I'm reading Romeo and Juliet in highschool right now. So far, I'm not feeling it. First of all, I dont understand a darn thing the characters are saying to each other. And second of all...I just dont really like it. I'm only even slightly interested in it because of how its kinda related to Twilight. :roll:
x_mystical_dreams
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by x_mystical_dreams »

Last year we had to read Lord of the Flies, A Christmas Carol and Much Ado About Nothing :) I love shakespeare.
maybe someday I'll come around and tell you
all the things that I never said
with the courage that I never found

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Doodle
Learning to Love Green

Post by Doodle »

Last year for GCSE we did Hamlet and Pride and Prejudice for coursework. Pride and Prejudice is now my second favourite book :D Now at AS English Lit we are doing Regeneration by Pat Barker (which I love) and we're gonna start The Great Gatsby soon. Is it any good?
"because days come and go, but my feelings for you are forever"
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

we're reading Of Mice and Men by John Stainback (something like that) right now it's only 6 chapters and 100 pages but it's really boring...
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.
clariissaa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by clariissaa »

I have to read The Scarlet Letter and the Great Gatsby this year and some poetry. =D
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

clariissaa wrote:I have to read The Scarlet Letter and the Great Gatsby this year and some poetry. =D
I did that last year =)
Both very good novels.

At the moment, I'm reading the Bible..
Yup.
It wouldn't be so bad except it looks slightly awkward if you're randomly reading the Bible on the bus or something. Oh well xD
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3