Required School Reading

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
soul alchemist
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Required School Reading

Post by soul alchemist »

I had to read the Outsiders. It wasn't that bad. Then Romeo and Juliet. I love it! Right now I have to read Gone with the wind. Its pretty sad.
The most gorgeous twins in my world.
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

so I'm in college so we have tons of required reading, but I'm an english major so I absolutely love it...this coming semester I have english lit so I get to go back to Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and all of my favorites which I'm incredibly excited about (I'm a book geek, I promise) the most interesting req. reading I've had to do was for a world history class where we read epics, greek lit...but I learned a lot from it...
eden1437
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Allendale for school/Chicago hometown/Forks in my mind

Post by eden1437 »

JenJen2112 wrote:so I'm in college so we have tons of required reading, but I'm an english major so I absolutely love it...this coming semester I have english lit so I get to go back to Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and all of my favorites which I'm incredibly excited about (I'm a book geek, I promise) the most interesting req. reading I've had to do was for a world history class where we read epics, greek lit...but I learned a lot from it...
Hey I'm an English major too!! I'm doing an emphasis in Lit...so this semester I'm taking a ton of "core" classes for my major which comes with a LOT of req reading, so out of all of those books/short stories I'm looking forward to reading Huckleberry Finn which I haven't read yet, The Odyssey (which I love!) and I finally get to read Dante's Inferno!
"...And so the Lion Fell in love with the lamb"

JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

omg you will love Huckleberry Finn and Dante's Inferno...have fun with them but if you have to do lit analysis like I do be prepared for a ton of rereading and highlighting/flagging passages in both of those...I love going back to "classics" and core readings...they remind me why I'm an english major
eden1437

Post by eden1437 »

JenJen2112 wrote:omg you will love Huckleberry Finn and Dante's Inferno...have fun with them but if you have to do lit analysis like I do be prepared for a ton of rereading and highlighting/flagging passages in both of those...I love going back to "classics" and core readings...they remind me why I'm an english major
Haha, yea, my profs love assigning analysis papers, but I love to write so I'm looking forward to it. Another favorite of mine that we're going to be looking at at the end of the semester is The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gillman (I believe that's the last name) lol. I love it! One of my classes (the one I'm reading The Odyssey for, the other is American Lit II) is World Lit...so there are a ton of readings I get to revisit. Today we talked about Antigone, which is one of the best by Sophocles in my opinion.

JessicaIsIntoxicated

Post by JessicaIsIntoxicated »

We had to read the typical Shakespeare... and also:

The Outsiders by SE Hinton
Ordinary People by Judith Guest
and
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (creepy)

I honestly enjoyed everything they threw at me!
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
lovvetwilight

Post by lovvetwilight »

I'm a freshman in high school, so I thought that I would have a lot of required reading, but I really don't have very much. I just finished reading Siddhartha last week. It didn't keep my interest. But I did like some of the quotes in it.

I think we're about to start the Oddessey. After exams, of course. I'm really excited, its supposed to be good!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4356617/1/Bad_Girl_Bella << please press

Team Edward Team Ian
eden1437

Post by eden1437 »

lovvetwilight wrote:I'm a freshman in high school, so I thought that I would have a lot of required reading, but I really don't have very much. I just finished reading Siddhartha last week. It didn't keep my interest. But I did like some of the quotes in it.

I think we're about to start the Oddessey. After exams, of course. I'm really excited, its supposed to be good!
I have to read The Odyssey AGAIN as a junior in college starting next week, and I'm pretty excited. It is a great read!

debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Odyssus's(sp?) character annoyed me so much that I couldn't enjoy the Odyssey.
But right now for my outside reading book for English I'm reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

I hate the book we have to read now. I mean I do believe in Evolution and Darwin, but for cripes sake The Lost World suckssss!!!!!!!! Just because it's 200 years after he died (i think) why do we have to read a completely crap book!?

I so wanted to do some more more of the bard too!
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX