Required School Reading

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
clariissaa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Required School Reading

Post by clariissaa »

Catcher in the Rye ( eh. it was ok except for all of his unnecessary short stories )
To Kill a Mockingbird ( again.. :roll: . if they give me another book about people living in the Great Depression I will lose my mind )
This textbook ( not really but kinda ) on World War I
and some articles ( blek )
danceLove318
Settled in Forks

Post by danceLove318 »

In past years I've had to read To Kill a Mockingbird and A Midsummer Night's Dream for summer reading. This year my AP English class had to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass I've pretty much liked all the them to a certain point but I don't really like when I'm told I have to read something.

This year we're also going to be reading:
The Catcher in the Rye
The Awakening
O Pioneers!
The Great Gatsby
The Scarlet Letter

I also had to read The Prince last year for my AP European history class.
cutesweetiezzz
Fishing with Charlie

Post by cutesweetiezzz »

Last year in grade 9 we had to read Cue for Treason.
It was a horrible book.
Seriously, my teacher is sooooo slow.
We slept like a couple of months on a 200ish pages book.
Not cool.
I finished reading it and during the class I was reading other books under that book.
*coughTwilightcough*
Thank you Camille for making me this banner and being such an amazing friend and person. Love you. <3
AlainaTwilight
Learning to Love Green

Post by AlainaTwilight »

WishIWasACullen wrote:I'm the same way with the whole once-it's-assigned-I-don't-wanna-do-it thing. It's so true. I love to read but hate HAVING to read something. Anyway, when I was in high school this is what we had to read (and this is only what I can remember so it's give or take a few...)

9th grade
Animal Farm
The Odyssey
Romeo and Juliet
lots 'o' poetry

10th grade Honors English
To Kill a Mockingbird
Julius Caesar
even more poetry

11th grade Honors English
Antigone
Oedipus Rex
Oedipus at Colonus
The Scarlet Letter
The Great Gatsby
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Huckleberry Finn

12th grade-Advance Placement English
Othello
Heart of Darkness
Things Fall Apart
Pride and Prejudice
Macbeth

I know that there are more, especially from AP Eng. but I honestly can't remember them. But yes, if anyone had to read Heart of Darkness, tell me what you thought. Personally, I hated it but the rest were pretty decent. :D
At my school, we read The Great Gatsby, and Huck Finn in AP 10th, and we read To Kill a Mocking Bird in 9th grade. We did Night, The Crucible, and Ferinheight 451 in 11th grade. There are others i know i'm forgetting, but i tend to do that with assigned reading. I prefer reading for fun. :)
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

...I read To Kill a Mocking Bird in 7th grade...but my teacher was...strange, to say the least.

I'm going to be a freshman, but the books we were assigned to read for summer reading are like on a fourth grade reading level. The one's I read were Fever 1793 (which I had already read in sixth grade, and then again in seventh) and Ironman.
WishIWasACullen

Post by WishIWasACullen »

AlainaTwilight wrote:At my school, we read The Great Gatsby, and Huck Finn in AP 10th, and we read To Kill a Mocking Bird in 9th grade. We did Night, The Crucible, and Ferinheight 451 in 11th grade. There are others i know i'm forgetting, but i tend to do that with assigned reading. I prefer reading for fun. :)
Oh yeah!! I forgot that we did those as well (Night, The Crucible, Fahrenheit 451!!). We also read Frankenstein. And more, I'm sure. Thanks for the refresher!! It's been a while for me :?
"Is it not enough… just to have a long and happy life with me?"

"For Now...."

E <3 B

oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

vamp na hEireann wrote:Last year we had to do The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and The Field by some lad that I can't remember his name.That is the stupidest play ever.84 pages of two lads fighting over a field and it took us a whole year to finish it although I finished it in about two classes.The Outsiders wasn't too bad.
I wish we had read The Outsiders when i was back in school. It was, or rather still is, one of my all-time favourite books. My cousin had to keep sneaking copies of it to me because my mother thought it was too violent for me.

i still have the Robert Frost poem Nothing Gold Can Stay memorized.

sad.
Anarey

Post by Anarey »

In my country there's not such thing as summer reading, I only had to read Jane Eyre and The Pearl in years 11 and 12.
ImageCan't wait til Nov 20!!

"A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss; but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain."
-Abraham Crowley
Krystal
Lured By the Scent

Post by Krystal »

Were are going to be reading Twilight in English this year! It is so awesome! When my teacher told our class that, all the girls jumped up and screamed, it was so funny. I was doing it too, except I only screamed a bit and was thinking about it all day, and wasn't really paying attention to any of my other classes. lol
The teacher also got all excited about the movie, and was just like "OMG the movie is coming out in november, I am so excited! " It was awesome, but I am not 100% sure what else we are reading, I'd half to look in my binder and I don't have that with me right now. (:
But I can't wait to start it in class!
by myhopesaresohigh @ vesperarium
Fanpire

Post by Fanpire »

We had to read loads of books in primary school...I don't remember them but on secondary...we had to read The Holes and then To Kill a Mockingbird
And this year we're reading Merchant of Venice - Shakespeare