Required School Reading

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Re: Required School Reading

Post by urcoolcarrie »

I have to read Three Cups of Tea for my summer reading this year. Yeah, I'm not even going to think about it until August. I hate it.

As for during the school year, I had to read A Tale of Two Cities. I HATED that book. I chucked it somewhere deep inside my closet the second I was done reading it, and its long lost. I never want to see that book again.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
Carrisa
Officially Bitten!
Location: Gushing over my favorite couple while obsessing over various other fandoms

Post by Carrisa »

Apparently, I have to read some book called Animal Dialogues or something like that over the summer. I thought I didn't have to read any required reading because I'm taking three separate English courses, but the school site said everyone has to read this book. At least it's about animals. :roll:

The last book of the year in my English 10 class was Lord of the Flies. It was kind of like torture, but I stomached it as best I could. My mind kept drifting every time I'd started reading, but I did catch on to what the author was trying to convey. He just had to be so darn wordy and symbolic about it.
"Got it memorized?"
Visit me on Gaia Online if you would like: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/Mina_May
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

My summer reading is Walden.
Blech.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

I have to read a book of short stories, which definitely aren't my thing, and I chose a very boring book. I have less than 2 weeks to finish it, but so far it's taken me at least a week to read 20 pages. If I don't like a book, I don't finish it, but now I have to and I don't know if I can :(

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Nup, not in my last year anyway. No subjects are compulsory so im not doing english. So no reading.
But the past years they gave us like, book assignments and whatnot.
And in our first years of high school they made us read for 10-20mins at the start of each english class
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

samajama wrote:I'm reading Macbeth eventually this year. I read LOTF and Odyssey, too. LOTF was awesome and the latter almost killed me, hahah
This thread has sadly been abandoned. I was rumanging through my old posts and saw this, though and it's needs to be corrected! I re-read the Odssey and the Aeneid and finally read the Iliad this year. Love them all! Shame on you, past self.
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I didn't realize this thread existed! It's awesome!

I'm not a student anymore...now I'm the English teacher assigning the books to be read :) I love reading all the comments about the books everyone had to read and what the reactions to those books were. Anyone have any new ones to add?? Feedback helps me make better choices for my students! :D

Thank you Naureen!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Blech this year I'm going to have to read Wuthering Heights. d:

Those characters frustrate me to death.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

Required school reading introduced me to Orson Scott Card. I loved Ender's Game Animal Dreams, Things Fall Apart, Brave New World, and Lord of the Flies (freshman Humanities english). In the sixth grade we had to read Mara, Daughter of the Nile and it's still among my favorites. The sophomore year it was all greek tragedies and Shakespeare (EW!) junior year we read things like The Scarlet Letter, Invisible Man (the one about a nameless black guy not the H.G. Wells one) as well as some Mark Twain and poetry. I loved Snake River Anthology But the "required" reading my senior year was great! We had one of those former hippie political activist teachers so we read things like The Handmaid's Tale, Hogg, Life After Man and other stuff that I didn't show my mom. As well as the school board approved stuff (which was mostly books I used to steal from my older sisters as a child and had already read anyway)

School required reading was the best.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

I'm from England and from the looks of it, our required reading is so much different. I've finished school now (long ago actually) but I remember that we didn't have all that many things that we had to read at home and most of our reading material we got on with in class. Anyway, I digress.

Shakespeare was huge, huge feature in my school days! Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Nights Dream were the top three. Unfortunately my middle school didn't seem to communicate with my secondary (high) school, do I ended up having to do Macbeth twice (as well as the Tudors for history, yawn :banghead: )

One of the books we had to read, and it's still one of my favourites, was Of Mice and Men. Others were An Inspector Calls and for drama, The Crucible. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure we went to theatre to see all of these. I think my teachers wanted us to get a visual to get us to pay attention. It worked, I still distinctly remember the dreamy guy who played Puck and that's going back a good 12 years!
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316