What do you look for in a fictional hero?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

What do you look for in a fictional hero?

Post by Pel »

Sounds like a school assignment. Really, though, I'm writing something, and I'm looking for what makes people fall in love with the romantic hero. Because I already love mine, and I want others to do the same. Also I'm looking for input. Humor me.

P.S.
Saying "EDWARD!!!" is not helpful. I cannot write Edward, and I don't want to write an Edward clone.

P.P.S.
Although if Firefly wants to put up screencaps, she's more than welcome.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: What do you look for in a fictional hero?

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Basically, I look for perfection. Once I've found that, I look for flaws because that's what makes him real and so likable.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

I prefer a hero who I can relate to on some level. Someone who has a tragic flaw, it goes hand in hand with relating to the character. No one is perfect, no one can identify with a perfect hero, and with flaws come conflict. Conflict is essential to the plot, a hero becomes stronger when he resolves his issues. We all have problems and heroes inspire readers to hang in there, and we usually get something out of the story that can help us in our own lives.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Adam
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Adam »

I don't know how much help this will be, but I find that an element of antiheroism draws me to a character very effectively.

When you said that you want others to fall in love with your hero, I wasn't sure if you meant everyone, or just the ladies, but if you meant both guys and girls I'd be sure to include something like this:

Here is a prominent example that everyone on the forum should recognize - Edward and his days of hunting evildoers. Still good, but not heroic in the traditional sense.
EvenFreaksNeedLove
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by EvenFreaksNeedLove »

angst. I love me an angsty hero
What do I look like? The Wizard of Oz? You need a brain? You need a heart? Go ahead. Take mine. Take everything I have.
JB<3
Sharenei
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sharenei »

Hmmm...

I guess I'm horribly picky about my heroes; minor imperfections aren't enough, nor is some sort of overplayed tragic past. If they want the "Hero" tag, they are going to earn it in the strongest, perhaps most morally-questionable fashion possible.

I want my heroes to face the darkest sides of themselves--to see within them their darkest capabilities, to confront the monster within. To see with that monster's eyes the darkness inherent in their particular universe. And from there, I want them to decide what they will do with it. Will they rise completely above that darkness--while continuing to acknowledge it and accept it as part and parcel of what they are? Will they try to twist some of those elements and use them for the greater good, even if it means indulging a "scarier" part of themselves? Or does the monster win the conflict, taking an unassailable hold over them?

I've seen heroes of all three categories, though the last would probably be termed the "antihero", in a more accurate sense. Naturally, your mileage may vary.

It's tough to write a story with a good, strong hero. Good luck! :D
MiharuSkii

Post by MiharuSkii »

Flaws, antiheroism, angst

The best advice I can give you is don't make a Superman type hero that can do anything perfectly everytime, it's boring and pointless.
ImageImageImage
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Miharuskii:
I'm with you on not having a Superman-like hero. But even Superman has his demons, just not at the relateable level. I guess I always compare Chris Reeve Superman with the newer Tom Welling Superman in Smallville(before the cape). In Smallville, Clark deals with coming into his powers and the reprocussions of his choices. In the Superman movies, we just know the outcome- the perfect hero. I'd like to think that a ficitional hero has some nonfictional qualities that make him more human. I feel that a perfect ficitional hero is someone most people can understand and identify with. As I look at classic characters in literature, I notice that many of them are flawed, but those flaws make them perfect in their own way. It's who they are, without the flaws they wouldn't be true to themselves. A good example, Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind. A horribly flawed and complicated character, but without her flaws would she would be imperfect- she would remain unnoticed, unidentified.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

my ideal fictional hero will be slightly flawed, yes, but can also see through superficial layers and straight through to the heart of his heroine.
Nightvision

Post by Nightvision »

someone i can relate to and understand their problems