Stereotyping

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
waiting for a meteor
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: Stereotyping

Post by waiting for a meteor »

Stereotyping, great. :( Even at university students and professors of economics have cut and dried opinions about students & profs of philosophy and vice versa. Sometimes based on clothes and haircut only.
And those call themselves studied people. :(

I recall a documentation which said stereotyping helps us to avoid danger, like when we change the sidewalk or choose a seat in the last train.
But I wonder why do humans have to grow that instincts into bullying and whatnot?
No Rose, your backside is not getting any bigger – its frozen in time, remember?
Parallel evolution? My Twin = darkrider
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

We often liked to discuss in "Race and Politics in the early 20th Century Delta" seminar: is it still a stereotype if a person fits the sterotype? Any thoughts?
Last edited by Goodnight Elizabeth on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Waffle of Doom
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie
Location: On the Mafia's Living Room Floor, Plotting the Takeover of Japan

Post by Waffle of Doom »

I hate sterotyping, and for me like a lot of high school students, it's an everyday thing. I am immediatly judged by adults because of the school I choose to go to has a reputation of having 'trouble-makers' for students. Yes, a few of the kids go to my school because they got thrown out of public school, but they are the exception, not the rule. I get sterotyped as a goody-two-shoes by my peers because teachers like me and I talk to, and occasionaly hang out with some of the younger kids (I'm 15 and they're 13). I get pegged as a brain because I have some of the top grades in my entire school and help other students when they have trouble with their work, but I'm not a brain, I just work harder than a lot of the other students because I dislike school and want to get out as fast as possible, and because of the type of school I go to, if you work harder you can graduate early. A lot of people think I'm a b-word because when I walk, I hold my head high. I do that because I'm proud of who I am, not because I think I'm better than anyone else. Sterotyping has to be one of mankinds worst concepts ever, and as much as I would like to say that I never do that, I know I do. It would be nice if there were no sterotypes, but I know that will never happen. :(
FanFiction /Twilight Mafia ~Angry Little Sabina/ Team Laurent~ Co-Boss/Volturi~ Jinx
fireice99
Wandering Through Town

Post by fireice99 »

everyone thinks that just because i get good grades, that i must be a brainiac, nerd, whatever you may choose. However, most people when they first meet me don't get that impression at all! When it finally comes out that, yes, I'm in all honors classes, yes, i take math 2 grade levels above me, they're like oh wow you're one of those smart kids. And then they look at you all weird. Kind of intimidated, and then kind of like oh you're not the person i thought you were. it's very annoying. why can't we all just be looked at similarly?!?

Kaleb Nation is awesome! Check out his site for insightful comments as he reads New Moon.
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

fireice99 wrote:everyone thinks that just because i get good grades, that i must be a brainiac, nerd, whatever you may choose. However, most people when they first meet me don't get that impression at all! When it finally comes out that, yes, I'm in all honors classes, yes, i take math 2 grade levels above me, they're like oh wow you're one of those smart kids. And then they look at you all weird. Kind of intimidated, and then kind of like oh you're not the person i thought you were. it's very annoying. why can't we all just be looked at similarly?!?
you and i are like exactlly the same. i take the same kind of math classes as you, i'm in all honors classes, and am considered one of those kids that must go home and do math for fun. um, no! i am a normal person. just because i care about my grades does not mean that i don't have a life. i am actually very weird, and i am totally crazy. people who personally know me, know that i'm not the shy person i am in school. i'm actually very outgoing, very funny, and i love to laugh. i absolutely hate it when people judge you without ever getting to know you. it sucks.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
netnut
Wandering Through Town

Post by netnut »

YUCK! i hate stereotypes! actually, I think what i hate more is LABELS. the whole emo, goth, prep, punk, word usage sounds completely uneducated & childish. but when someone tries too hard to look a certain way, its really hard to keep from stereotyping.

i am guilty of stereotyping, but i blame growing up off of south park for that. of course we all go through/went through phases when we were in high school and so on, but i feel like that need to "play dress up" everyday should sort of tone down when you enter the real world. i mean, i have my own personal style, which usually involves lots of old-world prints, vintage-styled cuts, frills, and tight stretch pants. but i do not dress myself as a spectacle to be looked at. & when i did dabble with stereotypical styles, i made sure it looked well put-together & that i was able ot pull it off, or just not wear it at all.

i find it really lame when people try really hard to actually fit into the way they dress & the music they listen to & the way they do things just so that they can look like whatever stereotype they wanna be. just be yourself, dont go out of your way to look a certain way.

so yeah, when i see someone that looks like theyre really going out of their way to look "goth" or "emo" or "punk", & doing a really bad, tacky job at it, i will stereotype & pity the poor soul, because they probably are good people, but others will most likely not look past their facade.

maybe im just too much of a fashion & music snob.
steph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by steph »

stereotyping...hmm..where do i start? well i can start off here...sometimes its unavoidable as humans the first thing we see is outward appearance, it sucks but its true, now i like to think of my self as "evolved" enough to go beyond the outside appearance and get to know the person within and i know myself i have been guilty of not doing that and i can admit that. Its kind of one of those things that as you get older you learn what is really important.

One thing that sticks out in my mind is that i work for a bank and we have this customer that is really nice, hes always polite, never rude, always asks us how we're doing and everything. Well, i was helping him and when he was leaving the next customer gave him the dirtiest look and just looked at him like he was some freak that crawled out from under a rock! Oh, did i mention that my customer had alot of tattoos and peircings and horns? yep, horns....not like pointy ones or anything just the under the skin ones. But i just couldnt believe the look that guy gave him, like he was someone lesser or something....some people just cant get passed appearances.

i absolutely hate labeling people, i couldnt label myself even if i tried and i dont want to even try to place someone else into this little category of what i think they should be b/c there are so many facets to most people that doesnt just fit into one category.

sorry for the long post, btw, this was just my 2c and if i offended anyone i apologize in advance.
Psychicpoptarts
Wandering Through Town

Post by Psychicpoptarts »

steph wrote:i absolutely hate labeling people, i couldnt label myself even if i tried and i dont want to even try to place someone else into this little category of what i think they should be b/c there are so many facets to most people that doesnt just fit into one category.
Well said, Steph! Although, I have noticed that after high school, and during college, the stereotyping and labeling, at least in my experiences, are much less severe now. Of course there will always be people who can't get passed appearances, but for the most part once high school is over.. many people don't really seem to care to even take the time to try to stereotype or label people. I think most people get over that. Although, I completely agree with Steph, I couldn't label myself.. even if I wanted to.
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

I hate stereotyping! Me and my other friends are "nerds" because we're smart. The other kids are "popular" because most of them are mean to the nerds. Then there are the "Emos" cuz they wear skinny jeans and have different hair. I am a little overweight, too. I am not fat, but im chubby. I do eat healthy, though. We don't buy junk food and I play DDR almost every day. (I could kick anybody's butt at school) I have the overweight gene coming at me from both sides of my family, too. It is unfair! My friend is a stick and she eats waay more than me! I am terrible in Gym cuz I dont want to embarrass myself, but if I am ever just playing with my sister i am good. Im not stereotyping, but it is only the people in the "popular" group that stereotype. Suprise suprise.
List, Gnat ♥
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Jasper<3 wrote:Im not stereotyping, but it is only the people in the "popular" group that stereotype.
Generalizing (or making claims) about an entire group based on a few popular traits is considered stereotyping. Not all popular people stereotype. Not all people who sterotype are popular.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!