Stereotyping

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Shuntiana
Wandering Through Town

Re: Stereotyping

Post by Shuntiana »

Unfortunately I think Stereotyping is human nature, in one way or another. Whether it's one thing or the other, we may not do it on purpose +Shrug+ but it happens.

I'm not saying I like it by any means, I'm just saying it happens whether we like it or not. I know it doesn't help out any situation. Trust me, when I was freshmen, there was a guy I liked, but I thought he was a prep and he'd never go for a nerd like me. Boy, was I wrong. After being in the same French and Art class together and never getting a hint if he wanted to, I just kinda gave up. And I'm sorry I did, because it will always be a "what if" for me. What if I had worked up my courage in Art class?? I'll never know, why?? because I judged. And the next few years he had sudden began to hate everything I liked, for no reason it seemed like, but I really knew the reason.
Lana The Fixer - The Twilight Mafia
Fear the Loch Ness Monster!! - Team Renesmee ^_^ Cause we got the best of both worlds :D
heartofmp*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by heartofmp* »

I absolutely hate stereotypes...im constantly being labled as "preppy" (I like Ralph Lauren and wear bright colors a lot)(but if you listen to my ipod youd be surprised...I don't listen to the radio a lot and my favorite music genre is alt. rock) and "quiet" just because, in school I liked reading by myself rather than talk to people I really don't like just to seem like I fit in. Around my friends I'm loud and talkative and in high school I hung around with a group of people so different I don't think anyone could stereotype the group as a whole... Once I was talking to a girl and she said "wow, I thought you really looked like a B****,but you are so nice!!" I guess I tend to keep to myself, (what is it with people and not liking anyone to just be by themselves?LOL) Oh well,Im proud of who I am and I know that I can get along with anyone,go ahead and stereotype that :lol: Go being YOURSELF!!

Edit- haha I just noticed something,I kind of made a hypocrite of myself (people I don't like, and then I get along with everybody) There are some people I don't get along with--those people who you thought you got along with but it turns out they bash you behind your back... *shrug*
Last edited by heartofmp* on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shugo_vampire
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Shugo_vampire »

Stereotyping is common at my school and I'm guilty of it, we all are in someway.

I hate how people stereotype of an anime fan as a shut in nerd.Were actually just like everyone else but we just didn't grow up in a sense. We like cartoons? So what? For a lot of us its keeps us out of trouble and keeps us out. We also dress up from time, so? Its that we love something so much we like to act like the characters? We also are very social beings, we love to talk to other fans. What do you think we do at cons. We mostly shop, talk to actors and writers and hang. We do anything from concerts to dances in three days! Its really fun. Also, not all of us are guys, were mostly female!
ImageImage
More than Just a Twilight Fan...
Hale_Yes!
Settled in Forks

Post by Hale_Yes! »

you know what really get on my nervs though? is when people are like (and im not saying this about anyone on here! just about the people i know personaly) " oh i really hate stereotyping..i cant stand anyone who does that!.
but then they turn around and are like " oh no dont talk to them, they are a geek/nerd/goth/prep.. u know. i think if they are going to tell someone else how to act, then maybe they should take a good look in the mirror.

.just saying.
And by the way, I adore you...in frightening, dangerous ways.
-Edward Cullen MS
alellie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by alellie »

People say I'm a nerd because I wear glasses, read a lot (Twilight, duh), and I'm Asian. xP
Vampirechick101/Alellie: PICAOS/ Zookeepers to Mr. Panda
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

alellie wrote:People say I'm a nerd because I wear glasses, read a lot (Twilight, duh), and I'm Asian. xP
O.K Do Yanks Stereotype Asians a nerds or something then? We don't over here. Actually I don't really know of any Asian stereotypes used in England..
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Spartan wrote:
alellie wrote:People say I'm a nerd because I wear glasses, read a lot (Twilight, duh), and I'm Asian. xP
O.K Do Yanks Stereotype Asians a nerds or something then? We don't over here. Actually I don't really know of any Asian stereotypes used in England..
It is a stereotype in USA. Well, not nerds as much geniuses.
I've observed my school since I looked at this thread, and I think we do stereotype people, but we're open to everyone. Like the "nerd" will talk to the "punk" and the "gangsta" will talk to the "prep" and we all don't care what people are stereotyped as. Now don't think my school's perfect (in fact, if you knew about my school you'd probably think the opposite). Because if you're a jerk people won't put up with you. We aren't that accepting.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
mrs.jordancullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mrs.jordancullen »

for some reason i was stereotyped as "rich" and "white" :?:
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

Boy, do I hate stereotyping! I was labeled as quiet and shy in my high school, only because I'm not first in the line to brag about something, or comment. I feel like I don't have to have an opinion about everything and share it with others.
italiangirl1577
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by italiangirl1577 »

I'm classified as quiet, the Shakespeare Goddess, and a 'know-it-all'. I don't sit in class and carry on full length conversations (quiet); I have a grade point average of 4.21 (know-it-all), and I have read almost all of Shakespeare's plays and even have parts of them memorized (Shakespeare Goddess). People also think that I'm anti-American, because I love Britain, but I'm not! I do like America, but the weather is better in London (I love rain!)! I just like Britain...a lot...I ♥ Britain! (& the guys who live there!♥)
Oh, and could someone please explain to me what "Emo" is? I have no idea.
Last edited by italiangirl1577 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.