The fashion thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: The fashion thread

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Mrs.TeddyBear wrote: With winter coming, I've been thinking about all the extra clothing I'm going to be needing to survive here in Finland... haha it's really not so bad, but mainly I wanted to pose a simple question here: gloves or mittens?

Last year I went with mittens, but I felt a bit childish doing so. They're very warm though, which is good, but I was thinking of maybe changing to leather gloves (probably brown?) this year. I think I would feel a bit more sophisticated and feminine with the leather gloves... not sure though, and my biggest problem is I don't know how warm they'll be. And are they even considered "fashionable" anymore?
Yeah, I think leather gloves are fashionable. In fact, I would like to buy a pair for myself. I would like a pair of Carolina Herrera's but I think they are slightly out of my budget! :)
I prefer gloves as opposed to mittens because I think that mittens constrain your hands too much. The lining of leather gloves depends partly on how warm they are. If you do decide to get some, make sure they are well-lined otherwise your hands will freeze. I used to wear leather gloves for horseback riding but they weren't lined and my hands got really cold in the winter months.
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Malteser
Settled in Forks

Post by Malteser »

Pahahaha!!! I have like nooooooooooooo fashion sense at all...I just wear jeans and t-shirts...most of the time they don't even match! pahahahahaha!!!
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Malteser wrote:Pahahaha!!! I have like nooooooooooooo fashion sense at all...I just wear jeans and t-shirts...most of the time they don't even match! pahahahahaha!!!
Time to get Alice teaching you a few pointers I guess... ;)
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I just found this and I think this is the most Amazing idee I have ever seen! It's a convertable wrap dress. I can't explain it propperly so here are some of the videos I found.

- This is the basic idea. The Infinity Dress. Amazing, isn't it?
- This is one with a longer skirt and more ways to wrap it. Gorgeous and elegant. Very Greek Goddess, righ?
- You can even wear it if you're plus sized as in this video. This one also has a different kind of skirt which I love.
- This is a two-layered skirt wich you can wear in a crazy amount of ways. Even as a cute dress or top. And I really like the long one at the end which is also in the other video by this user.

I can't tell you how much I LOVE these dresses!! I want to own one! No, I want to own multiple, in different colors! But I have no idea where to buy it. (I live in The Netherlands and all of these are from the US.) Maybe I should make one. It looks simple enough...

Does anyone here own something similar? Has someone here ever made their own dress?
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Suzan, I love that dress!!!!!!!
Do you know who sells it in the US? I see a shopping trip coming up while I'm in Chicago... (I could buy you one as well)
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I don't know actually, Marielle. I've searched a bit online, but appearantly it's an old model. The ones I did find were $150 to $250, which is a bit too much for me... It has multiple names, so try google-ing: Infinity dress (by TART) / convertable dress or convertable wrap dress / multi wrap dress / multi way dress etc. (Any idea how to translate that to Dutch?)They are also sold as bridesmade dresses. Maybe I should try bridal shops, hihi.

I did find tons of tutorials on how to make one and it sounds pretty easy actually. And it's definitely a lot cheaper. I'm sure it'll turn out to be much more difficult when you do it, though. But I have a grandmother who's pretty good with a sewing machine. Maybe she can teach me, hihi. I think I'll try this before spending that much money. Maybe if it works I can make multiple in lots of different variations...

Here's the best tutorial I found. She also made one with a bandeau top, which gives a bit more coverage in the back and also covers a strepless bra. (I actually already concluded that I'd need to wear a bandeau/tube top or tube dress under it, but you can buy them for a few euro's anywhere. Or you can easily make one separately from the dress. Maybe even in a different color.) You just have to make sure you pick the right fabric. It should be stretch-y so it clings to your body and so that you can wrap the straps easily.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

hmmmm, that's indeed expensive... perhaps I'll find something similar...

Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

Update – I’ve shown the dress to my mother and grandmother and they loved it as well! They’re going to help me make one. My mother suggested I make an example dress from an old duvet cover. :lol: I made one this weekend and it actually turned out pretty okay. It was just way too big, because I miscalculated the measure I needed for the waistline, hihi. Anyways, the concept works.
Accidentally, there was a big fabric market last Monday, so I went there and picked out a really nice, dark lime green fabric. My grandmother has a sewing machine that makes stitches specifically for this kind of stretch-y fabric, so she’s going to help me with that. Let’s just hope I don’t make this one too big, hihi.