Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Writers Central

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that fanfiction was stealing, it's just that my problems with it would be the same as the problem I would have if I tried to steal someone's work!

I'm not denying that I've plotted a story or two in Forks, but I always tend to veer towards the story of new characters I introduce, rather than existing ones that SM created.
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Well I've been incredibly busy of late. I managed to edit Wolf Prince down from its behemoth 120,000 word count, to a much more managible 90,000. What is even more amazing is that even though I removed a little over 30,000 words, the story is still very much intact and ready for sale. I got a few rejection letters, including one from Jodi Reamer, assistant, but she was incredibly nice. After doing a bit of research, I learned the hard truth that 120,000 words for a first time novel, is too large, and unless the story catches them right off the bat, they aren't even going to look at it.

HOWEVER, there is a silver lining to all of this... My manager (career/ film) has been pushing me to find an agent that deals with both film and book, and my best friend's agent is Julie Kane-Ristch...(Producer of Spiderwick Chronicles, just to name something off the top of my head). He's been in love with WP since its conception, and he's been helping me polish up the book/script a bit. Once it is ready, he's promised to let her have a look. Julie is a big time agent and a member of the Gotham Group Agency.

I'm still reworking my query, and I have a brand new list of agencies to submit WP to, as well... It looks like I'm going to be incredibly busy for the next several weeks to months! WOOT!

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Great news, Alphan!
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Wonderful Alphan! Good luck! I'm excited for you and how far into the process you are. Keep us all posted.

I've been busy doing Nanowrimo this month, so I have lurked rather than posted. It's been a tough o At least I'll have another finished manuscript within a few weeks. I should also be querying the first nano novel next month.

Where is everyone else at in the writing process?
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I'm still playing the waiting game after a rewrite. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to rewrite some of it again, but I'm okay with that so long as it's something I can do within the storyline.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

So lately I "think" I've turned into a writer. I have a story that I started writing for one of my college English classes at least four/five years ago and about a month ago for some reason I decided to pick it up again and start writing more of the story. I have some ideas but I don't have everything figured out yet. I'm just kind of having fun writing as I go along & get ideas and seeing where this takes me.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

pennybug84 wrote:So lately I "think" I've turned into a writer. I have a story that I started writing for one of my college English classes at least four/five years ago and about a month ago for some reason I decided to pick it up again and start writing more of the story. I have some ideas but I don't have everything figured out yet. I'm just kind of having fun writing as I go along & get ideas and seeing where this takes me.
Discovery is one of the most wonderful things about writing. Even after spending weeks developing and then flushing the story out, I always find new things and learn new things about my characters. Even though I'm writing the story, I enjoy the adventures my characters are going on. Writing, if you can keep focused, as quite possibly one of the most rewarding ventures you could ever get involved...well at least while you're writing... afterwards comes the editing...agent hunting... publisher finding... :P
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Well I have yet another update... My friends agent has agreed to read my book. I had to create a resume, as well as standard query to go along with my book. My friend, as he works in Hollywood will be reviewing everything just to make sure it is perfect, before sending it off to my prospective agent. This is a HUGE thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as she is big name, and could get my book out there...

In other news, I've let a few prospective readers of various ages read the book (all good friends of mine, of whom I trust) and I'm getting back amazing feedback. One of the girls that I let read it, was one of the ones who got me into Twilight, and she read the entire book (312 pages), in one setting... The other reader is in her early 50's, a mom/grandma and she is loving it as well. SO...so far so good...

AND as a last side not...

Hey mods, can we actually create a forum just for writers/ writing, and writing works, as It is getting harder and harder for me to find the Writers Central part of this forum... My suggestion is to create a Writers Central Forum, with threads like "Fan Fiction" "Novel Writing" "Misc Writing" and General writing or something like that. I don't know about the other writers, but it would be nice to have a little patch of heaven. :D
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I will discuss your idea with the others. I think we could perhaps make a Twilight related art forum. It might work well there.
And Congrats! I'm just now writing my query letter and it's not an easy thing to do!!
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

That's great news, Alphan! I hope it works out for you!