Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Writers Central

Post by Tornado »

When I see the publisher on Friday I will ask her whether or not she agrees with this assessment. Although it had occurred to me that a bit more resolution of the romance might be required, it had never occurred to me that anyone would demand that they marry. It seems a bit extreme! Perhaps the publisher herself will have a different opinion. I don't know. I don't hold much hope. If it is what they require, I just can't do it, so I will probably need to shelve this story and wait for another inspiration.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

If I may interject here...

Have you read Maggie Stiefvater's series? In it, the resolution is all in the reader's mind. Maggie says the book is hopeful, but the ending really could go either way. The series is brilliant.

In Hunger Games, the thing that made people the angriest was that the romance wasn't really resolved.

My adult romance/comedy ends in a marriage, but the story arc demanded it.

I agree with Alphan, it depends on your story. Sometimes, a promise ring is all it takes, or a promise of forever. Sometimes, just the feeling of peace and hopefulness is enough. My big question is why marriage is the resolution? Is this because of the time frame or the culture? Is it because of the market? What might her reason be?
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I'm not 100% sure why she is suggesting marriage. She is a Christian lady, and she knows that I am too, so marriage would certainly be considered the ultimate end to the relationship, but I don't think I have to have them married so early to stay true to my beliefs. SM didn't.

What's more, I even suggested having them engaged instead (although I can't really do that either, I just wanted to see how inflexible she was) and she said no, they have to be married. It honestly makes no sense to me. She has suggested that I save the trouble for book two, and then have everyone object to the marriage and them having children together, but that didn't make sense to me. Why would people object AFTER the wedding? The female is a queen, so it would take quite some time for a wedding to be put together, giving people ample time to object before the marriage.

I have considerable doubts about why she is making this suggestion because, if anything, I thought she would have been more likely to suggest an engagement. That's a pretty happy end to a love story for the first book in a romantic trilogy, don't you think?

In the story he is convinced it is impossible for them to be together, as It is against the law for the two of them to marry, although the girl has the ability to change certain laws, and she is determined to change this one. It is on that note that the book ends, with her resolution to change the law so that they can be together. I thought that was enough. I could certainly change it so that they could agree to have a relationship in secret, but I can't have them married at this stage.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Your reader's opinion simply doesn't sound right. You will definitely need to talk with your publisher!
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Do you think ending the story with her determination to change the law is enough, or do you think I need more?
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Until I've read the manuscript, I can't say if that is a good outcome, or not. However, for a multi-book deal, that seems a logical place. The only reason that I can think she wants them married is because they only want the first book. Resolution like marriage, unless it is something like Little House or Anne of Green Gables, normally comes at the end of the series. For a fantasy world, that would be even more appropriate. I mean, just look at EVERY stinking Disney movie out there!
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

That's what I thought! It always seems like the logical "happily ever after" for the very end!

This is a very small publishing house, and I work for them one day a week! I guess she could be trying to get it to such a stage that it can be just a one book deal if the first doesn't sell, although the woman I work for (the publisher) doesn't usually work that way, especially if she thinks it will stop me from self publishing it as an e-book!

Fortunately, thanks to something you said in your previous post, Open Home, I think I have thought of a compromise that might work. It fits in with my story, and I think it might be romantic enough to convince my publisher, if not the reader, that it would be a good way to end.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Good luck! Keep us posted!
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

I'm glad you've found a compromise Tornado, but in the end, it is YOUR story. I know it might be hard, but if you have strong opinions about how your story should be, you might need to seek out another publisher, of whom will be more open. However, if you can get the compromise to work, then go for it! :D

I'm just about to enter the publisher hunting arena. I just finished my full edit of my fantasy/adventure book, and it is now ready to be viewed. I'm sure there will be later edits and such, but at this moment, I've been sending it out to my readers, to get their opinions and such. I'm really excited, and I've contacted my agent, so we can get a cracking. My page tally as it stands is 390 pages with an approx 120,000 words. Unreal... It's unreal.

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

You're lucky to have an agent, alphanubilus. Getting one is not an easy thing! All the best with your novel!

Yes, I'll have to try elsewhere if this effort doesn't come good. The trouble is, there's so much of this romantic/fantasy stuff in the market at the moment. Mine probably isn't unique enough to receive much consideration. I don't know where else to try. I might just have to shelve it.