Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Post by LadyDi »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:You did fine, Di. There weren't any spoilers.
I didn't cry as much for Zarek than I did Zsadist, but I think it was because I'm a bit more desensitized now. I think Zarek had it worse than Zsadist since Zarek was mistreated since birth. If anyone was caught being nice to him - BAM! Zarek was always hated, never pitied. I felt horrible for him. Zsadist was chained by his Mistress and forced to be a blood slave. Remind me, please, on why Zsadist didn't bust out since he was a fully transformed bad-a$$ brother. I can't remember.
As for Zarek's baking know-how, I said he had centuries to learn. There's books, movies, magazines, television, places where he could watch it in action, and plain ol' imagination. I would think he'd have some pretty decent fantasies lined up.
Thank goodness I didn't spoil. I just finished Xypher's book this morning (I could have done it last night, but the bed was calling) which means I get to read Ash next! Yes!

The desensitizing is a valid point GNE. That's the only "bad" part of these books. The author has to make it worse, make the next guy's torture even more horrible than the previous one, or you as the reader may think "meh, he didn't have it as bad as Mr. X from 3 titles ago".
However, I think (and I could be proven wrong, after I read the next book) that knowing what you had and then losing it can be even worse than to be treaten shabbily from the beginning. Remember when Zsadist was walking down the hallway and his former colleagues wouldn't even look him in the eye? That's pain! (Actually Pain is Reyes from the Lords of the Underworld - a couple of gals and I are discussing him off-thread!)

The only "flaw" in your theory GNE is that Zarek never had access to TV, magazines, or movies. When Astrid checks out his cabin, she does find reading material, but no "Sex For Dummies".

As for why Zsadist didn't escape - special handcuffs?
Is it a spoiler to say "look for more characters like Zsadist?" There is one I'd love to mention by name, but that would be a mega-mega spoiler!
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

Most of you here already know who i am- if you are in one Adult thread sometimes you are in them all so Hello.

I am not that far into the books- at least i don't feel like it, i feel like I've hardly made a dent in them! I am currently reading Kiss of the night(Wulf's book) and I like it a lot.
I feel as thought Acheron as ruined me for any other Dark-hunter, I am so head over heals for his mystery and his hotness that i can't even see the rest of them. I can appreciate the fact that they are certainly gorgeous- but I want Ash and mostly i want to know more about him. I went to Borders today and bought all the books (minus the 2 that come after Vane's book they didn't have them). I got them all threw Acheron which looks more like a Bible it is so HUGE! i can't even believe it. Anyway, i am going to be finishing Wulf's book today or maybe early tomorrow, but i have to take my time with Vane, it will take a week to get the other two.

anyway thats me- reading Wulf's book, praying for my Ash- Because he is wonderful.
:D :D :D
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I felt more empathy for Zsadist in some ways while I felt more for Zarek. Zsadist at least had a somewhat decent childhood as a slave. He did his job and it appeared that some of the other servants were kind to him. The disdain towards him did not begin until after his transition and placement as a blood slave. I think the reason he never tried to run away was partly the chains and he was raised to be a servant. He had nowhere else to go. He felt trapped and that he had no options, this was his lot. Especially after the one girl who shows him kindness is killed. And at least when his brother came for him, he was able to save him, even though they both bear scars from it. Plus, as AWFUL as his captivity was, it was not nearly as long as Zareks. But through his abuse, Zsadist did loose what humanity he may have had. That was his coping technique, there was nothing he valued until he met Bella. She is what caused him to want to change. While I feel Zarek wanted things to change before he met his HEA. She was the first to give him the chance to change.

Zarek's mortal life was one of constant abuse and torment. And the kindness of others only made his punishment and pain worse. So by the time he becomes a DH, he is used to people staying away. Oh and just like Z, it's not like either of them had much of an opportunity to learn interpersonal communication. I'm not surprised that Zarek keeps everyone away. But he has himself to blame when he does try to reach out and he is thwarted - he made his bed and had to sleep in it. He may not have meant for it, but he did. You can't push people away and then be angry when you try to reach out and they turn on you. I'm sure when he first became a DH, it was his old habit to avoid people and especially anyone trying to show him kindness but as time wore on, I doubt he knew exactly how to change the position he placed himself in. And the slaughter at the village certainly didn't help him. But I have a feeling Ash knew all along - but I digress.

I cannot say I liked one better than the other, because to me they are completely different characters. However, with Zarek's book I did enjoy it although his ease at baking in the real was a surprise - I expected them to be much more clumsy. But then again...this is fantasy. However, I found it too convenient that he hadn't lost his soul. It seems odd to me that at the third book, those rules that are for the Dark Hunters are seemingly less so. More like guidelines since it seems Artie does what Artie does and Ash (I'm sure just to have as much peace as he can find - plus it is to his advantage) doesn't say anything to his hunters about it. I though you HAD to lose your soul to be a Dark Hunter. If Zarek didn't, then what other rules can be broken?!?!?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

*Waves at Lynz* We're discussing all the books up to and including Zarek. Join us!

Una: You raised some really good questions. It does seem that the rules don't really matter after all. The heifer goddess does what she wants. I love that Ash uses what he can to his advantage.

Di: I was also bugged that Ash was cruel to Zarek. I had the feeling at first that he was omniscient, but we learn that he isn't...or is he?

My Dream Hunter is sitting on my desk. I'm currently working on a syllabus. The first class is Tuesday, so I'm hoping I can start reading it after class Tuesday night.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

oh really? so i am not far behind with discussion fantastic!

Zarek's Book was crazy to read! I was actually mad at Ash for not stepping up and doing something about the exile, but as we all know Acheron does things for a reason, i am curious about how far into the future he can see- because clearly he does. Artemis bugs me- i think I told GNE this on Face Book, but she reminds me of a really obnoxious cheerleader from my old high school, i grew up in a very Over-privileged Town and most of them acted as though they were goddess.
I love, love, love Simi! and Zarek saving Simi, that was sure to win over Ash even more.

Finding out Zarek still had his soul this whole time and Artemis saying "he smelled" oh man, that really upset me. and then the low blow of finding out that he could always walk in the day time- that wretched *BEEP*!

I felt bad for him though, but like i said- i cannot see clearly when it comes to the hotness of the Dark-hunters, I am hung up on Ash.
Keeper of The Randomness
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Lynz, thank you for reminding me of something else that really bugged me! "Bug" is an understatement.

I was livid when I read that Zarek still had his soul and could also be in the sunlight. He had CENTURIES to endure the darkness. I thought Ash knew everything about his hunters. Wouldn't the fact that he still has a soul, can go outside, and ..oh..isn't technically a dark-hunter be something Ash would know? What's up with that? We see this again (something close to it anyway) not too long after Zarek's book.

Something or someone is at play....but who is it?
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

Una~ i should have responded in my last post.
I have a preference between Zsadist and Zarek. *points to banner*
But I love Zsadist a lot- more than i should.
I don't think they are the same- the are similar but they are certainly not the same.
Zarek's torture was much much worse as far as physical and emotional abuse goes, Zsadist's sexual abuse is horrible thus creating a different kind of guarded male.
But i really enjoyed Zarek's Book- especially the location! i have an intense desire to live somewhere subzero with a lovely log cabin and adult sized footed Pajamas(haha)

GNE~ I am so curious to see who is pulling the strings, but it is refreshing to know that Ash doesn't know EVERYTHING, but i believe if he applied himself- he could and would. While i blame everything on Artemis much like i blame everything on the SV... this is all a little over her head.
Keeper of The Randomness
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

In just picking a favorite character, oh, I love Zsadist, but I meant in a comparison I cannot choose one over the other because I don't seem them as two sides to a coin (since we were comparing and contrasting them). They are totally different characters with some similarities.

So far, it appears to me that Ash is omnipotent. I think it was cruel as well that Zarek was allowed to believe that he could not go in the sun. Especially considering his exile. However, I believe Ash did it all for a reason. Correct me if I am wrong (I do not own Zarek's book) but Ash gave both "The Little Prince" to Astrid and Zarek. Could he have been planning this for awhile? Did he match-make them from the beginning? There were little "things" along the story that makes me believe he engineered this long before. Which would explain why he allowed Zarek to believe he slaughtered the village and live in exile, believing he couldn't go out in the light. This was all his plan to ensure that Astrid and Zarek would bond?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

Una~ you put it in better words than i did. in Ash's words. He only hopes, he doesn't know. But i think thats a load of BS if you ask me. He knows what is going on, what will go on and how to prevent things- all while not messing with Free will. He is something else, probably why i love him so much. Speaking of Ash his book is looking at me from the bookshelf- i have so long to go until i get there.

I spoiled myself about Ash the other day- being stupid- you just don't know how upset i am about that.. oh well.

When i finish reading Story of Son, i am starting Vane's book- I liked him in Talon's book.

i had another theory about Ash- but I came upon it after reading Wulfs book. so yeah.
Keeper of The Randomness
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I just erased everything I'd written because I wasn't sure if it was a spoiler or not. I hate that. Basically I don't believe Ash knows everything all the time. There's proof in that. However, I'm not at the end or really close to the end. It's all speculation at this point.

I do feel that Ash played macthmaker for Astrid & Zarek. Una makes a great point about Zarek. 1. Something had to happen to push him over the edge 2. He had to have a reason to stay inside the whole time. (The following is not a spoiler-->)In one of the books, I'm not saying which one, Ash discusses a girl who approaches him. He is able to see her life and her future child's life and their timeline. He is also able to see what other possible life this girl could lead if she veered from her current path. Ash decides not to interfere with her and let things happen as they should. We also see in Zarek's book how he created a new life for the "bad guy."

I still don't believe he can see everything, but still the guy can see A LOT.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!