Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Post by twilightmom »

Thanks for all your comments and PM's... I have finished Julian and I did enjoy it. But I'm glad that the other books have more substance. Julian's book had a lot of "fluff" in it and seemed like it may be "typical romance" novel. I don't think I could last through a whole series of books like that, but one or two is okay. ;)

My comments: The smut was hot! (Well he is a "slave".) I enjoyed reading about their relationship developing and maturing. There were some parts that I felt were not well thought out - like the whole stalker thing... It's whole purpose was to make Grace realize how she felt about Julian (and for Julian to showcase his feelings for her - the elevator shaft, the books). But it wasn't planned well. First of all... Would this guy be THAT obsessed when he'd only met her once? His obsession wasn't developed all that well. But it was over very quickly, so I am okay with it. There were a few other places where I felt the same - like a sub-plot wasn't well developed, but ended quickly. And did we really need to have Paul show up? I thought that was a bit cliche - she'd already gotten over him... blah. Good thing Julian and Grace were so hot together, it made me forget the parts I didn't care for!! :D

LadyDi: I read your comment... I agree, I didn't like the Bill part... I kind of thought that if a woman and man were truly in love that Julian's "power" didn't influence them... (Except in Iason's case where Eros was involved). So I didn't like Bill getting so angry. I'm glad that this doesn't happen as much in the future books. But it leads me to another question... I thought the curse was lifted once Julian became free - is this not true? He was "blessed" with gifts when he was born. He was cursed by his mom because she was jealous (this is the women attracted, men get po'd curse) and he was trapped in the book by his brother. I thought that Aphrodite lifted her "curse" when she came and freed him from his madness, that's not what she did? AND we know that he broke the book curse. So I thought he was just left with his "gifts" from his mom... Hmm....

And LadyDi, just knowing that there will be HEA's isn't too spoilerish... I just didn't want to read and cry and then not be happy in the end. I did cry for a bit in this book!

Okay, taking quick break from DH to read TSoS! Oh, and I found out today that my library has 3 of the last DH books... They are listed as HORROR. They don't have the first ones, but they are doing an inter-library look for me.
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

twilightmom wrote:But it leads me to another question... I thought the curse was lifted once Julian became free - is this not true? He was "blessed" with gifts when he was born. He was cursed by his mom because she was jealous (this is the women attracted, men get po'd curse) and he was trapped in the book by his brother. I thought that Aphrodite lifted her "curse" when she came and freed him from his madness, that's not what she did? AND we know that he broke the book curse. So I thought he was just left with his "gifts" from his mom... Hmm....
He did break the book curse and is no longer a slave. His beauty is a gift/curse from his mother (Aphrodite). How can you be a son of the Goddess of Love and not be beautiful?! Come on! For a gift to herself, Grace asked his mother if she could get ride of Julian's beauty for the other ladies, but then he would be butt ugly and Grace said "No, Thank you".

twilightmom- PM me if you want more books. I'm more than happy to share and to deal. :lol: I checked my library copies out because I was so tired of split level reading. Luckly, they had 4-6 so far. I may have to go back to split reading if they don't have the others. ;)
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

I'm quoting from Fantasy Lover, page 238 e-book version:
[Aphrodite speaks]. "True, but I gave you a lot of other gifts that your girlfriend seems to treasure."
"Speaking of," Grace said as a thought struck her. "Can we curb the one that draws other women like a magnet?"
Aphrodite gave her a droll stare. "Child, look at the man.What woman in her right mind wouldn't want him in her bed? I'd have to blind them all, or make him fat and bald."
"Never mind. I'll just learn to cope."
"Thought so." Aphrodite vanished.

So yes, you are correct cullengirl, but since this was part of his blessing/curse (I mean, there was that scene where women were flocking to the sidewalk in front of Selena's tarot card table and Sunshine was selling sketches of Julian) - but then we never see that level of fervour ever again. Yes, the curses of being a sex slave in the book are gone, but I thought Julian was still going to have to deal with people making passes at him and groping him for a lot longer. I'm glad it's gone (we even get to see Bill in another book, and he's a nice guy).

I'm glad we get to see Julian again (I just finished Aidan's book, and there was a great "what are the characters doing this Christmas" little section - it was marvellous!) My favourite post-DH1 Julian moment would be when he and Kyrian are giving dating advice (to Vane, I think) (SPOILER, if you haven't read DH2) and when asked how they met their wives, Julian says "I was a sex slave in a book that she wished me out when she was drunk on her birthday" and Kyrian says "I awoke to find myself handcuffed to her" and Vane seriously considers it before the wives rush their hubbies away to help him prepare for his date.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
dragon-girl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dragon-girl »

LadyDi wrote:My favourite post-DH1 Julian moment would be when he and Kyrian are giving dating advice (to Vane, I think) (SPOILER, if you haven't read DH2) and when asked how they met their wives, Julian says "I was a sex slave in a book that she wished me out when she was drunk on her birthday" and Kyrian says "I awoke to find myself handcuffed to her" and Vane seriously considers it before the wives rush their hubbies away to help him prepare for his date.
He he, I loved that bit! :lol: It just made me laugh for ages. I wonder what that date would have been like if he had listened to them?
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I just finished Wulf's book and guess what? I didn't cry! :lol: I was waiting for the point where the tears would come, but I was dry. I dunno. I guess I didn't think Wulf's story was too sad. Grr. I was too excited to realize that I didn't have Vane's book in hand. So, now I have to split reading for his book and then read above basement level Valerius's book.

SPOILER for DH5

My favorite part of Wulf's book is where Amanda calls Wulf's house and asks how the "hunting" went. :lol:
LadyDi wrote: My favourite post-DH1 Julian moment would be when he and Kyrian are giving dating advice (to Vane, I think) (SPOILER, if you haven't read DH2) and when asked how they met their wives, Julian says "I was a sex slave in a book that she wished me out when she was drunk on her birthday" and Kyrian says "I awoke to find myself handcuffed to her" and Vane seriously considers it before the wives rush their hubbies away to help him prepare for his date.
*Giggles* I'm looking forward to that part.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

That is truly one of my favorite parts of Vane's book. I loved seeing Ash and the guys try to give advice only to have the women step in and save him. I found it SO touching. But I'm very partial to Vane's book and it is my favorite - that male is SO MINE! :twisted:

I have a few of the short books to read, I found it odd that Dragonswan was such a stand alone novel. I can't help but think/wonder if Sebastian was mentioned in Vane's book. I have to go research that after I get caught up here. I was traveling back from the coast so I missed the troll invasion. Well... miss is maybe not the right word but...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

LadyDi and CG: Thanks... I TOTALLY missed that part in the book... I was reading via ebook on my phone, so the type is small. If I looked up for a second, I probably started back up after that was mentioned and skipped. But also glad to know that it is not a focus later. Just FYI: I pretty much skip and skim these posts so I don't get spoiled... IF I see a name I don't know yet, I skip. SO I apologize if I repeat anything that's been said... Just hit me over the head!

So, I know there are songs out there for the BDBs... any for our DHs?? Because I heard "Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye (LOVE THIS SONG) last night and it made me think of Julian!!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I loved the dating advice scene. I don't wanna say anything else about that since CG isn't there yet.

Since we're all past Wulf....I have to say his book reminded me so much of Breaking Dawn. Favorite book so far? Tie - Kyrian and Valerius. Hmm...they have something in common, too.

I say it's fair game to discuss Julian, Kyrian, and Talon now.

Julian's book was delicious. It could've been a stand alone book. I agree with Twimom that it seemed a little "precious." The reason I love it is because we are introduced to many of the main characters. I love Grace. I love all the mated females so far.

Kyrian's book caught me off-guard. It was schmexy and steamy. I loved it from beginning to end. I read it while visiting my in-laws. During one particular scene I had to excuse myself so they wouldn't see my face turning red. Kyrian is my favorite. Oh my my my.

Talon's book was funny. When he wakes up and meets Sunshine Runningwolf is hilarious. Fave part? When Julian & Kyrian have to bring Talon clothes. It reminded me so much of Rhage, Butch, and V. There's such a history of friendship and camaraderie. Also, here's where I had my first "Aha" moment. This is where Kenyon won my heart. Instead of having the hunters fall in love with "tall, thin, lithe, gorgeous, big bosomed" women, they fall for every day normal-looking women -- who THEY feel are breathtakingly beautiful. She knows her audience. After reading BDB, MB, and P/C I was sick of the dropdead gorgeous beauties winning all the hunky warriors. I wanted a warrior to fall in love with someone who looks like me...or my best girl friend. Kudos to Sherrilyn Kenyon!

Pics:
Possible Simi
Another possible Simi
Wulf
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I agree, SuperTwin that I have SO much respect and love for SK. Her heroines are every day women. Any one of us could have one of these warriors because to them we are the most beautiful creature to them. There are moments in the book that make me realize that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder - so I guess I'll stop telling my hubby he's just biased when he tells me I'm beautiful. :twisted: :lol:

Julian's book can be a stand alone - but I understand why it is there. It takes something completely left field for our beloved center characters to meet and interact with the Dark Hunters. We have to meet the outsider who's friends with the otherworldly friend who come together to open the Pandora's box. Through Julian's book we meet the central characters who from there introduce us to the world. I didn't find Julian's book that cheesy, although I blushed a lot, it didn't turn me off or make them think of the "generic" romance novels (but I admit I haven't read many of them).

Kyrian's book was a complete turn around, action packed with mystery. We start getting the beginnings of the mythology and such and I was completely enthralled. Then with Talon's book, we had more humor and the continuation of the action and, it seemed, an explosion of characters. I love how SK hints at characters, how they are all really interwoven together in the plots and that we never loose a character. We still get to see Julian, Kyrian, Talon, etc. They don't go away - they come back and we can continue to see how they are doing. I really enjoy that. She gives us the whole world and doesn't cut people out once they have the HEA.

Okay, I'll stop here...this is getting long. Oo, and I like the pictures GNE. Simi is adorable and I love her! I also like your pick for Wulf...*swoon*
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
dragon-girl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dragon-girl »

Although it gets confusing sometimes, I like the overlap that you get with the DH stories. Although you don't notice it so much in the first three books, you later get things where you think "Oh, so that's why they couldn't be there!", etc. It's really interesting.