Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Post by Kymberli »

Thankful yall haven't gotten off the topic o Zarek vs. Zsadist

Zsadist-what he went through at the hands of the mistress was horrible. The sexual abuse he went through is unbearable and was very hard to read. Even though he is "fictional" person...it was still very hard to read what he endured.
His life before his change was that of a slave, but he was a happy slave, it was only after he changed that his life turned to torture. The one person who tried to show him kindness the mistress had her killed. I think that Zsadist gave up hope. He gave up.. When Phury found him and save him "physically" he still didn't have hope. He was a shell of a man. The only emotion he had left was anger and only through pain was he able to live. Remember when he had Phury beat him. That part really did floor me.
Then he finds Bella. He knows what she must be going through beening held against your will. He had empathy for her and he didn't know what to do with all the emotions that brought.
I think that it was hard for him to cope because in his life he was happy and life was ok, then he was a blood and sexual slave and then life was ok. I think what was so hard for him was living in fear that the "bubble was going to burst"

Zarek-His life was nothing but pain and torture. Never in his life did anyone show him any love and compassion.
Even though he still had a heart in him. I think about how he went to his mother, seeking comfort he felt that pull towards her and then he was beaten so badly. Then I think about how he tried to help the last lady that owned him and he tired to defend her when her lover was beating her. That cost him his life.
Then he becomes a Dark Hunter and even Artie won't touch him. I wonder why in the first place she offered him a chance to become a Dark Hunter. If he was so bad that she didn't want to touch him then why let him become one of her hunter? I have a lot of theories on this one. Then to lose his village and have everyone believe that he was the one to kill all those people. He even believed that he killed all those people. I don't understand how Ash could let that happen. I understand him wanting to keep some of the secerts from him, but he could have made it so everyone thought someone or something eles had killed everybody. That was just cruel.
Everytime in Zarek's life that he reached out to people, he was cut down and hurt. He lived with the motto was I gonna hurt you before you can hurt me.

That being said. I think that Zarek had a harder life than Zsadist. His whole life up until he was with Astrid he never had anyone care for him. He never knew what it felt for someone to reach out to him and not hurt him. I cried in both books, but with Zarek's book i cried so hard that tissues couldn't handle it and I had to get a wash rag. There was something about his story that just cut through me.

A side note on Ash..the theories I have about him :shock: In one book I have a certain theory and then in the next we get to see more of him and that theory grows and changes into something more. I have gone back and reread the legends in the all of the first 5 books(Julian, Kryain, Talon, Zarek and Wulf). I figured out a big thing out about Ash and that Lynz thought that I had cheated and looked it up. I didn't. I literally got a legal pad and started writing down names and things said about this person and that person and I had a big :idea: light bulb moment.
I finished Vane's book last night and I am going to take a day or two before I start Valerius book so that my Twinnie, Lynz, will have time to catch up. I love all these books. I am so glad that everyone suggested them.
Sorry for the long post. Z & Z are two characters that I feel very passionate about.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

Twinnie~ I don't think you've ever written such a long post before! But we've discussed all of that before.
But i agree mostly with what you said, Different men, different forms of torture, different ways of dealing.
and thanks Twinnie for waiting! I don't care if you are a book ahead of me, but if you got 2 books ahead of me- i would be sad.

Acheron the Atlantean God of match making- are we sure he isn't Cupid? I think he sees things if he focuses but he can't focus all the time, things slip threw the cracks.
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Lynzeee wrote:Acheron the Atlantean God of match making- are we sure he isn't Cupid?
Yes, because we delt with Cupid in Julian's book, didn't we?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

nissanmama wrote:
Lynzeee wrote:Acheron the Atlantean God of match making- are we sure he isn't Cupid?
Yes, because we delt with Cupid in Julian's book, didn't we?

It was a joke.. :?
Keeper of The Randomness
MelandStv
Settled in Forks

Post by MelandStv »

Whew! You'll have to excuse me. I just tore through 10 pages of posts while I was supposed to be working.

cullengirl Quote: I just finished Wulf's book and guess what? I didn't cry! I was waiting for the point where the tears would come, but I was dry. I dunno. I guess I didn't think Wulf's story was too sad. Grr. I was too excited to realize that I didn't have Vane's book in hand. So, now I have to split reading for his book and then read above basement level Valerius's book.

Funny (in a weird way :D) I'm not a big crier but the letter (you know what I mean) made me tear.

dragon-girl Quote: Although it gets confusing sometimes, I like the overlap that you get with the DH stories. Although you don't notice it so much in the first three books, you later get things where you think "Oh, so that's why they couldn't be there!", etc. It's really interesting.

I completely agree with you on this. When I was reading Wulf's book which pretty much goes on at the same time as Talon and Zarek I had quite a few "AHA!" moments; "that's what Ash was doing!" or "That's what they meant by that." I appreciate that the author tries to blend her stories together tightly.

una Quote: I mean no offense to Artie, except that her over the top selfish and childish nature really burns me. It's truly grating on my nerves the way she "plays" with Ash. I'm in full support of Simi getting a heifer goddess BBQ snack! I'll even bring the BBQ sauce!

Amen to that Sister!!! Even though the Greek Goddesses and Gods are supposed to be childish, superficial and selfish (ever look into Zeus' history? That God was a PIG!) Artie still gets on my nerves!

LadyDi Quote: The scene in which the other Dark Hunters are in the lodge or house or whatever and Zarek is left outside, pounding at the door, did not seem right because Acheron was one of the people that locked him out and forbid him from coming in. We've met Ash - be it in one book or 20 books - could you see him making that sort of cold, callous, hurtful gesture? And I didn't like the reference to "someone even more hated than Zarek"

Wasn't this a dream not Memory from Z's point of view and he thought everyone hated him. Please correct me if I'm wrong ;D

twilightmom Quote: So, I've now read Julian and Kyrian and the short story Dragonswan (which I didn't care for). My biggest hurdle/issue is Kenyon's writing tends to be a bit more on the "romance" side, especially at the beginning of the books. The writing is all about the HOT SEXY men and their future mates can't stare enough. The women are all "I can't help myself, I just want him" etc., etc. The actual language she uses is so cheesey sometimes.

Got to agree with you here. While I totally enjoy the story line the writing makes me roll my eyes sometimes. And her gratuitous use of the word "hissed" irks me. That just not a word I associate with the actions associated with it. I could do with a little more action and a little less "baking".
For the questions that were asked further along in your post, some of those will be answered once you read Wulf's story :D

Lynzeee Quote: I am so curious to see who is pulling the strings, but it is refreshing to know that Ash doesn't know EVERYTHING, but i believe if he applied himself- he could and would. While i blame everything on Artemis much like i blame everything on the SV... this is all a little over her head.

Me too!!!! I think that's why I like these books as much as I do, the whole mystery of them.
I cannot wait to read Ash's book. I am so curious about him it almost hurts. LOL!

OK, I really need to do some work before my day is over and I can go home and read :D
PS I LOVE THE SIMI!!!! She cracks me up!!!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Welcome, Mel. Are you brand-spanking new to the Lex? If so, welcome again.

Kym: Excellent post! I love long insightful posts *wipes proud tear from eye*

I'm mid-way in Dream Hunter now. It's ok. I don't love it. I'm confused by a couple of things. None of which I can discuss here yet. Grr.

My theory about Ash is more solid now. Kym: I haven't been writing mine down, but I've been following the breadcrumbs. We need to talk.

I just discovered I'm another book short. I'm a dork. :?
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Welcome MelandStv, way to read through and catch up on this thread! Glad you found us and feel free to now join in the discussions. Where are you in the books? I've just finished Vane and am waiting for Valerius to arrive via Postal Service. :D Simi is fantastic!

Kymberli, great post! I loved your insight - you and I share a lot of the same feelings about these males! And I would love to know your theories on Ash!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

una wrote:I've just finished Vane and am waiting for Valerius to arrive via Postal Service. :D Simi is fantastic!
Crap! *slaps herself on the wrist* Sorry! I've been a little distracted lately. :oops:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

I never thought i would say this, ever. okay prepare yourselves.
I think I like Dark-hunter better than BDB. Don't get me wrong, i am so madly in love with Zsadist that I should be thrown in the looney bin. But the Dark hunter books are so more into details- of everything its not just the baking scenes that are more detailed, I can paint such a clear picture of the characters that i don't even need an actor/actress replacement. Also, I love that the women in these books are far from physical perfection, but they're personalities make them beautiful- which I think is truly important. I've met some physically beautiful people before who just looked hideous to me, seriously ugly because they were ugly people deep down. take for instance- Bride, I was talking to GNE earlier- she is a wonderful woman, but because of society women like her are looked upon as ugly, that is so not the case! you can be a bigger woman and be a total knock out. Marilyn Monroe was a size 15, now that is suppose to be considered ugly? are you kidding that woman was a knock out!
even Astrid the Nymph wasn't physical perfection- it is just so refreshing to be reading about women who i feel that i can relate too, because i am so far from a skinny ***. Back to the main point, i love the brothers, but these books have captured my attention in ways i don't feel that BDB did, there is a lot more mystery going on, and not to mention my undying love for Greek Mythology, anything that has Vampires, Werewolves(among other were- animals) and Greek gods and Goddesses is the perfect read.

And i love The Simi.
Keeper of The Randomness
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli »

Way to go Twinnie. I agree with about the Dark Hunter books. I almost didn't read them because I felt like I was cheating on the brothers and I am I got over that. As I keep reading more and more of the books, I find that I am drawn into their world so much deeper than into the world of BDB. I still love the brothers don't get me wrong, but the Dark Hunters have so much more going on. To me there are several different levels to the Dark Hunters. You have the couples love story, you have Greek God and Goddesses, you have the mystery of who really is Ash, all the little characters that make the world of the Dark Hunters. I know that the BDB has lots of characters and storylines that arc together as well, but not as good as in the Dark Hunters.
I have to tell you that the theories I come up with while reading these books are almost as fun as reading the books. I have some many.