Baby Boomer Lexiconers-- The 40 + thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
JoanneMaria
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: crying in the midst of a boundless labyrinth of ancient trees *New York*

Re: Baby Boomer Lexiconers-- The 40 + thread

Post by JoanneMaria »

I have 3 recommendations for future reading
The Graceling
The Shack
The Girl Who Could Fly
all excellent
"Life sucks, and then you die." BD 143
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

JoanneMaria wrote:I have 3 recommendations for future reading
The Graceling
The Shack
The Girl Who Could Fly
all excellent
Thank you, ma'am. I appreciate it. ;)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Katwomankath
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Katwomankath »

I'm home from a crazy weekend at dance competition. There were almost 600 dance routines performed over the course of the two weekday evenings ant the two weekend days. Over all our dance studio did well with High Gold awards and High platinum awards. I would explain the awards placing but I'm not sure I understand it completely myself. It is very strange. All I know is my daughter did very well and was awarded an all star award and was given a scholarship to take master dance classes and perform at nationals. My props and costumes looked great on stage. When I get pics I will post some or links.

Speaking of my daughter she is feeling much better from her ear infection and her dermatologist appointment went great. It seems my daughters body is naturally removing several moles from it's self and it is all good.

I agree about the Twilight Movie comments you made Navaree. I felt there was so much left out and changed that you truly did not get to know the character's personalities. I was shocked that there was so much of Alice left out and the prom dress they used for Bella was really bad. I did enjoy the movie just because it had to do with Twilight but I wish it would have been done differently. I enjoyed the views from the tree tops even though it wasn't in the books.

I need to read the books again because my memory is not so great given my "advanced" age and there is a new wave of readers at the dance studio asking me questions.

Book suggestions hmm... What kind of books does everyone like? I'm kind of a Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult book reader my self. I usually read all the books my kids read. I'm open to anything though I get into ruts. I really enjoyed the Host by Stephenie Meyer if you haven't read it.

I have to get my tax info together now. I hope you all have a great day. :D
Banner thanks to Ouisa!
Bewitched

Post by Bewitched »

Pretty new Lex! I finally have some time to pop in here. Glad to read your all back and doing well.

I got the 3 disc from Target and have watched the bonus features and the comentary. I guess I just accepted it as it was since nothing can replace the book. When I went to watch the DaVinci code i wasn't impressed with it either since i had read the book and of course books always explain more. Do you think that which ever one you do first; either read the book or see the movie version, sometimes colors your idea on the others "greatness"?

In answer to your question Kat, i like to read almost anything. Sometimes I have more than one book going at the same time. Right now I'm finishing up Dream Warrior; I'm picking through "Sugar Shock"; and I've started reading I Am A Main, the story of Standing Bear.

Now some of you might be thinking "Wow, who has time to read so much" and that brings me to my question that I wanted to ask earlier. You can PM if you feel this is more like a chat question cause I don't want to get me or anyone else into trouble.

I have a part time job right now that I like and hate. First of all I have about 20 years experience as a general secretary and about a year and half ago got a job working in a bank as a teller but it is the smallest branch and the slowest of all the branches. How slow? Most days I'm lucky if I wait on 2 customers before i leave at 1:00. We can read and surf the net but after a while even that gets boring. Some days I think my brain is melting. :shock: I have asked for a transfer and have been denied. My boss is like 12 and of course all the other tellers are his "friends" if you get my drift. Of course he tells me it because I'm one of his best tellers and they need me to be here. My co-worker isn't that great at her job and she 's been here as long as I have. The pay is less than at other banks but we have more responsibilities. The plus side is they work with me when I need time off, for the most part I can tolerate my co-worker, I love my customers (some days I do get more) and I'm pretty comfortable in the job.

Years ago I went to school for Medical Office Admin and never got to use it. I guess i'm just wondering if you all think it would be crazy to go back to school and take some refresher courses and try to get into that career again or should I just go for something i really really like even though it would require me going back to school to start all over again and there may or not be jobs available afterwards; like library sciences. I like working part time (for my kids) but I want something that is going to pay me better. I'd rather have a job where I don't have to work weekends and isn't a total commission paid job. (I work semi part time for a childrens publishing company too.)

I'm not asking a lot am I? *laughing* I don't know; I guess I'm going through a midlife crisis. I want to have a career I"m happy in and preferably i get to keep busy. Any advice from those of you who are around my age. Is this a faze or what? Thanks for listening to me ramble.
navarre

Post by navarre »

Bewitched wrote:Pretty new Lex! I finally have some time to pop in here. Glad to read your all back and doing well.

I got the 3 disc from Target and have watched the bonus features and the comentary. I guess I just accepted it as it was since nothing can replace the book. When I went to watch the DaVinci code i wasn't impressed with it either since i had read the book and of course books always explain more. Do you think that which ever one you do first; either read the book or see the movie version, sometimes colors your idea on the others "greatness"?

In answer to your question Kat, i like to read almost anything. Sometimes I have more than one book going at the same time. Right now I'm finishing up Dream Warrior; I'm picking through "Sugar Shock"; and I've started reading I Am A Main, the story of Standing Bear.

Now some of you might be thinking "Wow, who has time to read so much" and that brings me to my question that I wanted to ask earlier. You can PM if you feel this is more like a chat question cause I don't want to get me or anyone else into trouble.

I have a part time job right now that I like and hate. First of all I have about 20 years experience as a general secretary and about a year and half ago got a job working in a bank as a teller but it is the smallest branch and the slowest of all the branches. How slow? Most days I'm lucky if I wait on 2 customers before i leave at 1:00. We can read and surf the net but after a while even that gets boring. Some days I think my brain is melting. :shock: I have asked for a transfer and have been denied. My boss is like 12 and of course all the other tellers are his "friends" if you get my drift. Of course he tells me it because I'm one of his best tellers and they need me to be here. My co-worker isn't that great at her job and she 's been here as long as I have. The pay is less than at other banks but we have more responsibilities. The plus side is they work with me when I need time off, for the most part I can tolerate my co-worker, I love my customers (some days I do get more) and I'm pretty comfortable in the job.

Years ago I went to school for Medical Office Admin and never got to use it. I guess i'm just wondering if you all think it would be crazy to go back to school and take some refresher courses and try to get into that career again or should I just go for something i really really like even though it would require me going back to school to start all over again and there may or not be jobs available afterwards; like library sciences. I like working part time (for my kids) but I want something that is going to pay me better. I'd rather have a job where I don't have to work weekends and isn't a total commission paid job. (I work semi part time for a childrens publishing company too.)

I'm not asking a lot am I? *laughing* I don't know; I guess I'm going through a midlife crisis. I want to have a career I"m happy in and preferably i get to keep busy. Any advice from those of you who are around my age. Is this a faze or what? Thanks for listening to me ramble.
Since there are only three or four of us that inhabit this thread - :lol: I would say we can talk about anything.
I think it is a wonderful idea to go back to school. My co-worker is 40 and she just started back to school after 20 years and loves it. We are in the Accounting & Finance business and she has been a bookkeeper and an accountant (w/o degree because she is so good at her work) for 13 years.
She decided she wanted to increase her earning potential and has never looked back.
I have no desire to ever return to school only because I do not have the patience to sit in a class room or even on-line, because most of what I would end up taking would have nothing to do with what I actually do and I do not want to listen to some left-wing propaganda and pay the idiot professor for teaching it. I would go to school to LEARN my craft, not hear his hatred of my country.
*Sorry for the rant* Anyway my work is actually school enough for me, personally, because there so much to do and so much that I am still learning in the world of accounting. I have an Associates Degree, but that's all.

You are never too old to go back to school. I'm 44 years YOUNG! All of us are still young and that isn't artificial sunshine up the old wazoo either. ;)
Let us know what you are going to do. I think it is great, Bewtiched!!!
Katwomankath

Post by Katwomankath »

I agree with Navaree unless there gets to be a bunch more people on here this thread is for us to discuss what is important to us and our generation. If we get out of line I'm sure a mod will let us know.

As for your question Bewitched it sounds like you are not satisfied with what you are doing. Sounds like you need a bit more stimulation in your work day. I'm not sure if school is the answer but it wouldn't hurt to explore a bit and see if you enjoy it maybe take one class to test it out and go from there. I like Navaree would not enjoy all of the left wing hate the U.S. talk that goes on at the Universities and Colleges.

As for it being a mid life crisis or a phase I have to say that it could be part of a process many people go through around this age. Your a bit younger than me though. God knows my last year has been a very tough one because of questioning what I was doing with my life, where I was going with it and who I was doing it with. I have chronic illnesses and I just up and quit all of my meds, Burned a ton of bridges with friends and almost tore my marriage and family apart. After reading a book given to me by my hubby the Female Brain I learned that my behavior is not uncommon for women my age. Doesn't make me feel any better but explained a lot to me. I'm very lucky I have a very loving and understanding husband who is going out of his way to let me grow and have space but keep me grounded at the same time. I felt like for the last 18 years my life has been lived with every one's needs but my own being taken into consideration. My jobs, my hobbies, everything I did was done because it is what was best for the kids or allowed my husband better opportunities. Something snapped and I was tired of taking care of everyone. I wanted more out of this life for me. It is amazing what hormones can do to your thinking process. I'm on my way to getting myself in check and finding a happy medium for me and my family. Usually when this happens to women their kids are out of the house but I had my kids later in life so I still have a 12 year old and a 16 year old at home and it has been tough on them. I am getting back to my Drs. and reviewing my meds so that I can control the illnesses without putting me in a comatose state. Wow! Enough of that.

I will put some thought into good reads and get a list together.

JoanneMaria I hope your parents are doing better. Also thanks for the book recommendations.
Banner thanks to Ouisa!
navarre

Post by navarre »

Katwomankath wrote:I agree with Navaree unless there gets to be a bunch more people on here this thread is for us to discuss what is important to us and our generation. If we get out of line I'm sure a mod will let us know.

As for your question Bewitched it sounds like you are not satisfied with what you are doing. Sounds like you need a bit more stimulation in your work day. I'm not sure if school is the answer but it wouldn't hurt to explore a bit and see if you enjoy it maybe take one class to test it out and go from there. I like Navaree would not enjoy all of the left wing hate the U.S. talk that goes on at the Universities and Colleges.

As for it being a mid life crisis or a phase I have to say that it could be part of a process many people go through around this age. Your a bit younger than me though. God knows my last year has been a very tough one because of questioning what I was doing with my life, where I was going with it and who I was doing it with. I have chronic illnesses and I just up and quit all of my meds, Burned a ton of bridges with friends and almost tore my marriage and family apart. After reading a book given to me by my hubby the Female Brain I learned that my behavior is not uncommon for women my age. Doesn't make me feel any better but explained a lot to me. I'm very lucky I have a very loving and understanding husband who is going out of his way to let me grow and have space but keep me grounded at the same time. I felt like for the last 18 years my life has been lived with every one's needs but my own being taken into consideration. My jobs, my hobbies, everything I did was done because it is what was best for the kids or allowed my husband better opportunities. Something snapped and I was tired of taking care of everyone. I wanted more out of this life for me. It is amazing what hormones can do to your thinking process. I'm on my way to getting myself in check and finding a happy medium for me and my family. Usually when this happens to women their kids are out of the house but I had my kids later in life so I still have a 12 year old and a 16 year old at home and it has been tough on them. I am getting back to my Drs. and reviewing my meds so that I can control the illnesses without putting me in a comatose state. Wow! Enough of that.

I will put some thought into good reads and get a list together.

JoanneMaria I hope your parents are doing better. Also thanks for the book recommendations.
I'm glad to read that you are getting back to the meds that will help you, Kath. It is even more refreshing to read that you have a husband that seemed to see through the mess and walk with you through it.
Hang in there, stay solid and keep focused - ahead, not to the left or the right or behind you, but straight ahead. I believe you will make it. ;)
Keep us up to date on how you are doing - okay? Don't want to see you drop off the face of the earth. :)
Katwomankath

Post by Katwomankath »

Thanks navaree for the kind words. I do have a great husband flaws and all. It is taking some time to get my brain figured out but I think I'm getting there.

Wow we are up to 5 pages now. We have had a ton of lookers but not many posters. Either they are all too young or won't admit they are in their 40s or we just are boring. Oh well I wish more would join our little party I would welcome anyone who wants to join.
Banner thanks to Ouisa!
navarre

Post by navarre »

Katwomankath wrote:Thanks navaree for the kind words. I do have a great husband flaws and all. It is taking some time to get my brain figured out but I think I'm getting there.

Wow we are up to 5 pages now. We have had a ton of lookers but not many posters. Either they are all too young or won't admit they are in their 40s or we just are boring. Oh well I wish more would join our little party I would welcome anyone who wants to join.
I think it fascinates everyone that there are Twi-Hards in the 40+ range. I don't know why? We are, after all, the new Y.A. ;) :lol:
Katwomankath

Post by Katwomankath »

navarre wrote:
Katwomankath wrote:Thanks navaree for the kind words. I do have a great husband flaws and all. It is taking some time to get my brain figured out but I think I'm getting there.

I think it fascinates everyone that there are Twi-Hards in the 40+ range. I don't know why? We are, after all, the new Y.A. ;) :lol:
Very funny :lol: :mrgreen: I had to use it cause of TPBM thread. Now I have used that smiley.

They would be shocked when they hear I have 4 generations of Twilight fans in my family. My mom 76, my sister 54, me 48, my daughter 12, and my sister's grandson 13.

They are Voyeurs I tell ya! :twisted:
Banner thanks to Ouisa!