Baby Boomer Lexiconers-- The 40 + thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Bewitched
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Baby Boomer Lexiconers-- The 40 + thread

Post by Bewitched »

Kat, it's so weird but comforting how much we have in common. It was a couple of years ago when I went through my ordeal. I went through a horrible situation with my boss, who happened to be my pastor. To say he was a little demonic would be putting it mildly. Anyway, it sent me into a a tailspin. For two weeks after the end of that job I sat around watching all nine seasons of Little House on the Praire. I guess I didn't realize how bad off I was but I knew I had lost all confidence in myself. I couldn't even do my sales job. I thought everything he (my pastor) said to me was true (he used things I told him when I was in counseling against me) even though everyone including my sales supervisor and people from the church were telling me that it wasn't.

Finally in August, I read about these wonderful books by Stephenie Meyer and low and behold all heck broke loose. I read them all in 4 days and I remember this clearly. Sunday night I was taking a shower and then I couldn't stop crying. For five days, I cried and reread the books. Anytime I wasn't living in Bellas world, my stomach was a mess. I was barely eating. I researched plane tickets to Forks and I really hate to fly. I felt my kids and husband would be better off if I left so my hubby could find someone better. He finally noticed when I tried to trade in my minivan for a mercedes coupe. At the end of five days, I woke up and didn't feel sick and I had stopped crying but at the urging of a friend; who went through a lot of hormonal changes; made appt. with a therapist and my dr. Basically I did what you did Kat. I lived my life like a different person. For the kids, for my husbands career. I myself totally acted like what I thought a good suburban housewife and mom was suppose to act. I became a shadow of myself. I let people walk all over me.

I try to not revert to the way I was for the last 18 years but somedays, the doubt creeps in. I have friends who can't understand how I can still like Twilight after all the heck it put me through but really, it helped me begin a new chapter in my life, gave me back who I was before I got married and really who can hate the fact I have so many lex friends who keep me movtivated and inspired. :D So that's my story. Long as it was. *laugh*

I think I will look into school Navarre. It's just a community college and I can take online classes, plus I only have to take one at a time, so I can pay as I go. I am still looking for something else but in this economy it can be tricky. I live in a college town so of course they have updated skills.

I'm now 7th on the wait list for City of Glass and 11th on the Hunted wait list. Have any of you read the Quilt series? I'm not sure of the name but someone told me that the stories were told around a quilt shop setting. I wanted to add that Lorna Lanvik is a great author too. She has a book called Angry Housewives eatting Bon-Bons. It's about 5 women who start a book club in there neighborhood. Each chapter is titled after whatever book their reading that month. It's really good.

Thanks again for listening. I'll make sure my posts are shorter from now on. *snickers*
Katwomankath

Post by Katwomankath »

I love long posts! Bewitched. I' dont care if you write a book.

It is weird that reading the Twilight books and getting on the Lex were the start of my self doubt and exploration also. Before coming on the Lex I was very isolated. I had moved several times for my husbands work and had to keep making and leaving friends. I finally pretty much gave up. I just dove into taking care of my kids and not doing anything for me. I too have met some great people on the Lex and also the Dex. I have also had some real heart breaking relationships with some of them. :( When you don't have understanding of why and what you are doing and are not used to interacting with people, you do and say things that upset people even though all you are trying to do is fit in and be a friend. Not everyone has the patience to deal with a person going through life crap. Heck I didn't even have patience with myself.
Banner thanks to Ouisa!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Katwomankath wrote:I love long posts! Bewitched. I' dont care if you write a book.

It is weird that reading the Twilight books and getting on the Lex were the start of my self doubt and exploration also. Before coming on the Lex I was very isolated. I had moved several times for my husbands work and had to keep making and leaving friends. I finally pretty much gave up. I just dove into taking care of my kids and not doing anything for me. I too have met some great people on the Lex and also the Dex. I have also had some real heart breaking relationships with some of them. :( When you don't have understanding of why and what you are doing and are not used to interacting with people, you do and say things that upset people even though all you are trying to do is fit in and be a friend. Not everyone has the patience to deal with a person going through life crap. Heck I didn't even have patience with myself.
Yep. Exactly. This place is actually the most sociable I've been. I mainly keep to myself. Easier and not as exhausting as having to deal with people.

Here, strangely enough, is easier and nicer. I truly enjoy myself here and I certainly do not mind long posts from anyone.
I hope no one took the first part of my first reply wrong. It was not implied towards anyone here. I'm talking about people out in the world in general.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Ok I am one of these. get it. Its hard another birthday gone by. But this Twilight thing, is making me feel so young. Maybe I am getting a little senile here, but I am hooked. And I am having a high school like crush on Robert Pattinson. For my thoughts, I should be locked up. I can't get enough. My son thinks I am crazy, I have my 3 yr grandson favorite song is Full Moon from the Twilight soundtrack. In the van one day he made me play it 5 times in a roll plus turn it up loud! LOL I gave my mom the book, and took her to the movie after she read it, then gave her New Moon book. She wanted to see the movie again, so we went again and the weekend it came out in DVD my mother had hers before mine. She is also waiting for NM to come out and keeps asking me when, I won't give her Eclispe or BD till she see NM. But its fun and its great that it not only expands ages but worldwide. This is phenomenal and the book has taken hold of people, and underlining all is a good message out there for the teenagers.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
navarre

Post by navarre »

diane771 wrote:Ok I am one of these. get it. Its hard another birthday gone by. But this Twilight thing, is making me feel so young. Maybe I am getting a little senile here, but I am hooked. And I am having a high school like crush on Robert Pattinson. For my thoughts, I should be locked up. I can't get enough. My son thinks I am crazy, I have my 3 yr grandson favorite song is Full Moon from the Twilight soundtrack. In the van one day he made me play it 5 times in a roll plus turn it up loud! LOL I gave my mom the book, and took her to the movie after she read it, then gave her New Moon book. She wanted to see the movie again, so we went again and the weekend it came out in DVD my mother had hers before mine. She is also waiting for NM to come out and keeps asking me when, I won't give her Eclispe or BD till she see NM. But its fun and its great that it not only expands ages but worldwide. This is phenomenal and the book has taken hold of people, and underlining all is a good message out there for the teenagers.
I think that is so cool! 8-) For me, age ain't nothin' but a number. ;) The Saga knows no age limit - it's timeless.
I lose myself in this saga constantly. I just finished re-reading the first 12 chapters of The Book That Shall Not Be Named
and I fall in love with Edward all over again.
I can't/won't let go of this series - I'm freaky, but I'm okay, too. It's a paradox! :lol:
Katwomankath

Post by Katwomankath »

diane771- welcome to the 40+ thread. I'm happy you have found us. I too get to listen to the soundtrack over and over. My 12 year old daughter plays it. Funny, but I introduced her to the books instead of the other way around. I understand how you feel about the books making you feel younger. They have given me a ton of food for thought and got the wheels turning in my brain. Stephenie does a great job of bringing her characters to life and puts into words the emotions we have all felt. It is easy to identify with her characters because we have all lived the emotions in one way or another that these characters portray.

To me age is all about experiences and how they shape you as a person. Before I found the Lex I kept to my self and shared nothing with anyone about myself. It was easier than being rejected or ridiculed. It is always hard to break into an existing group of people. I found out even on the Lex it can be heartbreaking. I hope this thread will always be welcoming and open to all who want to join in and hope that I will never make anyone uncomfortable. I hope to be able to acknowledge everyone and make them feel like they are valued as a person instead of just an annoyance, someone to make fun of, or ignore. I believe in talking things out and saying what is on your mind. I may not agree with you but I will respect you. To me the most disrespectful thing you can do to is a person is not acknowledge them. It shows a lack of character and they feel the other person is beneath them. I is a bit like watching a group of 12 year old girls with their whispering, secrets and lack of maturity.

Has anyone over time had a change of feeling for one or more of the characters? The reason I ask is because I started out being a full on Edward over Jacob person and with reading the books a few more times, life experiences, and just time I have had a change of heart. I have not turned totally against Edward but I am liking Jacob more and more. I really hated Rose at first but I have come to understand her more. I have many more examples but I'll start there.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the New Moon movie but I am very fearful. They didn't get into the characters properly with Twilight so I am afraid it is just going to head even farther from the true story line of the books.
I really hate deviation from original stories I have read or even remakes of songs that I have loved.

Navaree I agree my Twilight books are some of my most prized possessions and I can't seem to shake the pull to this saga no matter how many books I read.

Bewitched I hope you are doing well with your decisions about work and schooling. It is nice to hear that I am not alone in some of my strange emotions and feelings.

JoanneMaria - haven't seen you on here for a while I hope all is well.
Banner thanks to Ouisa!
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Katwomankath wrote:diane771- welcome to the 40+ thread. I'm happy you have found us. I too get to listen to the soundtrack over and over. My 12 year old daughter plays it. Funny, but I introduced her to the books instead of the other way around. I understand how you feel about the books making you feel younger. They have given me a ton of food for thought and got the wheels turning in my brain. Stephenie does a great job of bringing her characters to life and puts into words the emotions we have all felt. It is easy to identify with her characters because we have all lived the emotions in one way or another that these characters portray.

To me age is all about experiences and how they shape you as a person. Before I found the Lex I kept to my self and shared nothing with anyone about myself. It was easier than being rejected or ridiculed. It is always hard to break into an existing group of people. I found out even on the Lex it can be heartbreaking. I hope this thread will always be welcoming and open to all who want to join in and hope that I will never make anyone uncomfortable. I hope to be able to acknowledge everyone and make them feel like they are valued as a person instead of just an annoyance, someone to make fun of, or ignore. I believe in talking things out and saying what is on your mind. I may not agree with you but I will respect you. To me the most disrespectful thing you can do to is a person is not acknowledge them. It shows a lack of character and they feel the other person is beneath them. I is a bit like watching a group of 12 year old girls with their whispering, secrets and lack of maturity.

Has anyone over time had a change of feeling for one or more of the characters? The reason I ask is because I started out being a full on Edward over Jacob person and with reading the books a few more times, life experiences, and just time I have had a change of heart. I have not turned totally against Edward but I am liking Jacob more and more. I really hated Rose at first but I have come to understand her more. I have many more examples but I'll start there.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the New Moon movie but I am very fearful. They didn't get into the characters properly with Twilight so I am afraid it is just going to head even farther from the true story line of the books.
I really hate deviation from original stories I have read or even remakes of songs that I have loved.

Navaree I agree my Twilight books are some of my most prized possessions and I can't seem to shake the pull to this saga no matter how many books I read.

Bewitched I hope you are doing well with your decisions about work and schooling. It is nice to hear that I am not alone in some of my strange emotions and feelings.

JoanneMaria - haven't seen you on here for a while I hope all is well.
Hi everybody!

JoanneMaria (beautiful name) I find myself doing the opposite on the Jacob/ Edward , the more I read the book and I am upset with Bella also. I think Edward is getting a bad deal here. He is serious about Bella being around new Werewolfs and look at Emily, so at least part of his motives were good if you don't believe all of it. Bella never did make it clear enough to Jacob or stern enough about her love for Edward. I have been there. And by doing that Bella is also guilty of this pained relationships go on for as long as it did. I honestly do believe that Bella loved Jacob in a brotherly way and if Edward would have stayed away a part of her would always be with Edward. Now I could see Jacob settling for that over someone new, but Edward came back and then Jacob went all lovey dovey on Bella. He didn't imprint on Bella, since his transformation he would most likely have done to Bella, what Sam did to Leah when he met the person that he imprinted on. So Bella would be alone with no one. I didn't like Jacob not respecting Edwards and Bella's relationship and always trying to do something to bother Edward or even Bella. The worse was in Eclipse when he threaten suicide if she didn't tell him she loved him and to kiss him. That was a game and Edward took the high road. And I was upset with Bella also about letting things get so out of control in the book her heart and life belong to Edward, yet she hurt him by doing things or saying things to Jacob. Not Right.
Anyway I am so glad you love the book and I want MIDNIGHT SUN so bad!!!! I can see Rob in the role. Us (old) LOL ladies are pretty hip on whats going on! LOL :lol:
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
JoanneMaria
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: crying in the midst of a boundless labyrinth of ancient trees *New York*

Post by JoanneMaria »

Want to wish all a happy spring holiday!!!
"Life sucks, and then you die." BD 143
navarre

Post by navarre »

JoanneMaria wrote:Want to wish all a happy spring holiday!!!
Back at ya! ;)
Bewitched

Post by Bewitched »

Hi everyone. I wish spring would settle on a temp here. It's cold this morning. I started cleaning the garage two days ago when it got up to 65 but it got raining and cold and now my car is sitting in the driveway.

I went out to the community college yesterday and I don't think the advisor heard a word i said. He thinks I sould get an associate in Business but really, since my credit from when I graduated in 93 won't transfer over, I'll have to take all the gen classes again. How dumb. I've only been in the workforce for 20 some odd years. So I've been thinking, maybe I'll just take some online classes and use them as review so I can get a better job.

Tonight I'm taking my daughter and 3 of her friend to Hannah Montana. She turned 12 yesterday. i hope I have at least 4 more years before she turns into one big raging hormone. :lol:

Anyone got big plans for Easter? We are going to my in-laws. Should be fun.