Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Post by debussygirl »

I think the only ones that can speak parsletongue are Slytherin himself, Voldy, Voldy's mom, grandpa, and uncle, and Harry. I can't think of any other people who speak it.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Well, I would assume most of the Gaunts and the rest of Slytherin's direct descendants could use it too. It just follows logical thought, if the not-so-long ago Gaunts could, wouldn't their ancestors be able to?

Wow. I haven't been on here in a while....
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

I think those were the only people we were told about. Dumbledore told Harry that being a parselmouth usually was a trait of a dark wizard. IMO that implies that there were other dark wizards with the ability, but they just weren't pertinent to the story.
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

Such a strange thing to imagine that it couldve been Neville Longbottom to be the boy who lived. :roll: do you think that Harry Potter was gifted as a wizard or it was just his unmistakable luck and friends?
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.
Carrisa
Officially Bitten!
Location: Gushing over my favorite couple while obsessing over various other fandoms

Post by Carrisa »

I'd say it was a bit of both: he was a gifted wizard but also had the assistance of his undeniable luck and good friends. But what continues to confound me is what exactly made Voldemort go after Harry instead of Neville? What made Harry all the more likely the "chosen one" compared to Neville? And if he did go after Neville, would the same incident occur like with Harry? I personally think he should have devised a plan to go after both the boys to eliminate the possibility of either of them being the chosen one. But then, he never took the time to think that through since he wanted the chosen one to die by his hands/wand. That's what he gets for being so full of himself. :roll:
"Got it memorized?"
Visit me on Gaia Online if you would like: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/Mina_May
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

Yesyes, very full of himself and unaware of the ability of "love." :roll: What really makes me wonder is how he is able to kill so many more powerful wizards like Snape, Remus, Tonks, (and even Cedric!) but is unable to reach Harry Potter. He's slacking. :(

Speaking of Cedric Diggory, I came across this video. Its a Cedric Diggory tribute and even though Rob Pattinson is still very much alive, it still makes me sad:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x83dvj ... shortfilms
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Carrisa wrote: But what continues to confound me is what exactly made Voldemort go after Harry instead of Neville? What made Harry all the more likely the "chosen one" compared to Neville? And if he did go after Neville, would the same incident occur like with Harry? I personally think he should have devised a plan to go after both the boys to eliminate the possibility of either of them being the chosen one. But then, he never took the time to think that through since he wanted the chosen one to die by his hands/wand.
Voldemort went after Harry because since Harry was half pureblood and half muggle and so was Voldemort. He thought it was some sort of connection between them.
But I bet he would've killed Neville too, just to be safe.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
<3_my_Edward
Wandering Through Town

Post by <3_my_Edward »

Voldemort went after Harry because since Harry was half pureblood and half muggle and so was Voldemort. He thought it was some sort of connection between them.
But I bet he would've killed Neville too, just to be safe.
This is something that has always really confused me. Why wouldn't Harry be a pure blood wizard? Because both of his parents were technically wizards so wouldnt that make him pureblood?? Also I agree about Neville, I imagine that Voldermort was planning to kill Neville also, he isn't the type to leave any loose ends untied haha
"...I knew I was eager to get to school because I would see Edward Cullen. And that was very, very stupid." ~Bella
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

^^but harrys mom was a muggle-born so therefore she wasnt pure blood so niether is he...he is like 3/4 wizard..lol
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
<3_my_Edward
Wandering Through Town

Post by <3_my_Edward »

lol gotcha...that makes much more sense...
"...I knew I was eager to get to school because I would see Edward Cullen. And that was very, very stupid." ~Bella