Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Post by twilightmom »

First off, Una, prayers for your dad. Glad to hear he is responding.

Best things for me:
  • Birth of my son and daughter; being a parent.
    Celebrating 10 years of marriage with trip (w/out kids) to Maui.
    Seeing my niece be born.
    Meeting my fremily on the LEX.
    Being able to visit my family every summer.
    Deciding to be a stay-at-home parent.
Una & Spooky: I have to check to make sure my doors are locked at least 3 times before bed. In fact, I think I'll go check now! (I don't actually turn the locks, just look to make sure they are locked.)
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Hallo everybody...I'm pleased to annouce that I've finally finished my dissertation: it's not as good as it might have been have been, as usually, it needs a lot of editing and stuff but I'm glad it's over. I'm so tired...I'm going to submit the bound copies next week after a bit restyling of the text. Thank God it's over!!!!! I'm a bit worried for the defence now but I'll think about it later...

Una I'm sorry for your dad, I'm sure the docs are taking good care of him.

And now, since I've lost a couple of QQTD, let's start again with the current one.
QOTD (or few days depending on the activity level): What are you best memories of the decade you are currently in? If you just turned 30, go with your 20's.

- Getting my M.A., not for the diploma but for the big party and jokes with my mates
- Living at student's house (we don't have dorms and student houses are like English colleges) and all the girls I met there
- Meeting my husband to be
- My trip to Brazil
- My research time in Dublin and all the fun I had in Ireland
- Discovery of teaching
- Seeing the All-Blacks live in Marseille performing the Haka
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

QOTD (or few days depending on the activity level): What are you best memories of the decade you are currently in? If you just turned 30, go with your 20's.

This time 10 years ago:
Jan. 99 - I was still on my honeymoon in N'awlins (New Orleans)
Mar 99 - kinda weird, but getting my very long hair cut to my ears
April 99 - Winning a surprising scholarship to college
June 99 - My 29th birthday (it was awesome)
Aug 99 - started college
Oct 99 - Bought our house
May 01 - Graduated with Highest Honors with my AA
May 03 - Graduated with my BA
May 05 - Graduated with my MA
June 05 - My godson, Austin, was born
Aug 05 - Started teaching professionally
Dec. 07 - Discovered Twilight
Jan 5, 08 - Discovered Lex and made new friends
Spring-Summer 08 - Met my SuperTwin and friends turned into Fremily
June 08 - Had the best ever Virtual Birthday party!!! :D
July 08 - Nephew, Evan, was born
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Dimber thank you. His temperature is normal and he got some good sleep last night. Although the swelling hasn't gone down nor has the pain lessened, he is feeling MUCH better! Thank you guys, again!! *hugs*

Congratulations Dimber, that is QUITE an accomplishment! My brother says that the writing of the dissertation was more difficult than the defense, you'll do great, I'm sure!

TwiMom you still qualify as OC, you check the door because you are keeping your family safe. You're not OCD! You can join my club of OC! :D
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

As I was going to bed last night (and checking the locks), I remembered one of the other things I do - look to make sure the garage door is closed. I must do this at least 2-3 times before I go to bed. Same with checking the kids.

GNE: Where on the list is discovering "Dark-Hunters?"

Dimber: CONGRATS!! What a great accomplishment.
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Congrats, Dimber! That's a huge accomplishment. :D

twilightmom- My sister has to check her alarm clock at least 4 times before she goes to bed. She sets it early as it is, but it's so annoying!

GNE- Wow, I can't picture you with really short hair! I always like to have mine short. It's easier to maintain and since mine is kinda fine, short hair gives it volume.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

CG: I will look for a picture of me when my hair was short. It was cute. I have a couple of when my hair was growing out some. I like my hair long. With the type of curly hair that I have, the longer it gets the curlier it gets. When it's short it either frizzes or straightens - neither is a good look for me.

Twimom: Just for you-->
Fall 08 - I discovered Sookie Stackhouse and the Dark-Hunter series!!!! :twisted:
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I have always preferred my hair long. I don't know why, but I've only tolerated it when it is short. Just last year I decided to grow it out again. It's past my shoulders and I am hoping to get it to mid-back. Then I'll have it layered a bit so it'll have some body. I've never layered my hair, when it was long, it was all one length (except for my bangs). I'm excited to be trying something new. Of course, I'll start the layers at my shoulders so I can still put it up/back.

I also stopped coloring my hair. All the streaking is now gone and I'm completely loving the color! It's strange...usually you want what you can't have.... Goodness, am I officially old now? :shock:
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

This one was taken the night of my 29th birthday. I was having a good night, but I was still really really sick. I had surgery a week later. June 99

Here's me with my then 6 month old, niece, Meghan. April 99

This one is just bad. Ick, but it shows you another short hair cut I had. This one was April 2007.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I've always had the "bob" cut. It seems to suit my face. If I grow it out, it becomes lanky and I'm too slazy to do anything with it. With the bob, all I do is wash and style. I'm a low maintanece gal who likes to get as much sleep as possible. :wink:

GNE: I think short hair looks cute on you!

Una- I've never "dyed" my hair. I've used henna maybe once or twice but it doesn't really show unless I'm in the sun. :roll:
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!