Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Post by spookybell »

Una! I always wanted to go to the grand canyon! One day I will.

Okay Spooky's top 13 fave childhood memories...
1. Watching reruns of the Monkees after Kindergarten
2. Summer Vacations in Lake Chelan, Eastern Washington and going to googly-eyes park
3. Getting my first cat at 9 years old... My uncle brought it to me in his pocket!
4. I'd like to say Disney Land, but I was 5 and don't remember it. So, I will say Disney World when I was 18.
5. Going Shopping with my grandma and grandpa (and frankly having my grandparents alive)
6. Lucky Charms
7. Smurfs
8. My best childhood friends Todd and Muffy
9. The swimming pool my dad built in our backyard out of wood and fiberglass.
10. Riding my dad's motorcycle once before my mom made him sell it.
11. Being an only child until I was 3. (I liked my brother when he was 14 and I was 17)
12. The playhouse my dad and grandpa buit me in my backyard out of wood and plastic sheeting
13. The grand dollhouse my grandpa built me... I still have it.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Spooky thank you for sharing! I have similar favorite moments. My dad building the loft in the guest house when I was kid, my parents taking me to San Francisco for my 18th birthday and seeing Phantom of the Opera. So many good memories.

:? I'm worrying today...not something I usually do. My dad went to the emergency room last night. It's not serious (I'm chanting this...) He has an outer ear infection that seems to not be responding to antibiotics. He called the doctor on Saturday (ear started swelling Friday) and got a prescription. By Sunday afternoon - he hadn't responded to the antibiotics (you know how you take the first one and within a few hours will note that you feel better, swelling goes down), the swelling was getting worse. So my mom took him to the hospital last night. He's had IV antibiotics and I was there this morning and it seems like it has swelled a little more. I know it's just a matter of him resting (they are doing a CAT scan today, but they did some other "test" yesterday and found nothing) and letting the antibiotics do their thing but still. He thinks he'll be there a few more days. Now, I realize I shouldn't worry, he's in good hands and I know it's not serious.

Thank you for letting me rant - I just really needed to get this off my chest. Thanks!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Una: I'm sending you & your dad some good thoughts. I'm surely it's nothing critical. Some infections take a lot more to be banished. It could be the wrong kind or not strong enough. He'll be better in no time. XOXO

Maybe it's my current mind set the past few days, but I can't really recall any happy childhood moments. I'm sure I had some. I was a happy kid. We were too poor to do a lot. My happy moments were everyday things. For example, the day my older boy cousins decided to let 8 year old me play in their treehouse was a HUGE moment. Being invited to my first slumber party was huge because she was very popular and also very nice.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Una... My thought are with you and your dad. I know those things can be scary and I hope it turns out to be an infection that needs the right antibiotic (as we all become imune to half of them) and he will be perfect in a few days. Hugs!!! Thanks for sharing.

I have a lot of great memories as a kid. If you asked me to list my best memories in my 30's... Umm... hmmm... not that my live isn't decent, but it can be a tad bit monotonous and well... life like!

QOTD (or few days depending on the activity level): What are you best memories of the decade you are currently in? If you just turned 30, go with your 20's.

For me... at 36, It's an easy short list.
1. My niece being born.
2. A few fun trips to Vegas with friends
3. Finding the Twilight saga
4. Finding the lex and my friemily.
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Thanks SuperTwin and Spooky! I appreciate it. I know I'm being sensitive but I am a Daddy's girl (even though I'm 32). I know he'll be okay and he's in the right place - they'll get him healed up but I just can't help and I appreciate you all letting me get it off my chest. I felt better after posting and your thoughts do warm my heart and put me at ease. Thank you!
spookybell wrote:QOTD (or few days depending on the activity level): What are you best memories of the decade you are currently in? If you just turned 30, go with your 20's.
Good question! If I take a decade from now (22 - 32), I'd say my list is (and truly this is in no particular order):
1. Graduating college (20s)
2. Getting married (20s)
3. Becoming licensed Architect (20s)
4. Discovering Twilight because it lead to (30s)
5. Finding the Lexicon because it lead to (30s)
6. Finding my SuperTwin and Lex buddies which lead to (30s)
7. Finding GREAT (book) series to become addicted to. (30s)

Okay - I lied, for those that can recognize the OC in that (remember it's only OCD when you aren't able to live your life), it is in chronological order. :lol:
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I'm a daddy's girl also. I totally get it. You have had some grear accomplishments UNA! Yeay!

I told my best friend she didn't have OCD only OC - it made us both happy. She has rituals like specific steps she does when she gets in her car, like locking the dors putting on seat belt, checking mirrors... always ina specific order, but only once. She has a routing when she leaves her house and when she goes to bed. It's all good safety stuff. So I told her she only has OC.

Now, my neighbor... every time he comes home he checks every door to make sure it is locked (like pulling on each handle 38 times) and the hood and the trunk. I'd say OCD and that click-click-click- for 17 minutes as he checks every door and every car he owns OMG makes me crazy!!!!!!
una

Post by una »

spookybell wrote:She has rituals like specific steps she does when she gets in her car, like locking the dors putting on seat belt, checking mirrors... always ina specific order, but only once.

Now, my neighbor... every time he comes home he checks every door to make sure it is locked (like pulling on each handle 38 times) and the hood and the trunk. I'd say OCD and that click-click-click- for 17 minutes as he checks every door and every car he owns OMG makes me crazy!!!!!!
Yes, your friend just has OC - which can be confused with Type'A'ness, they are similar. However, your neighbor is OCD - to waste that much time because of the ritual is a bad sign.

So does it show that work is just not captivating me today?!? :lol:
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Una: My thoughts are with you and your dad. Hopefully, it's nothing serious. I'm also a daddy's girl.

QOTD (or few days depending on the activity level): What are you best memories of the decade you are currently in? If you just turned 30, go with your 20's.

Since I'm in my late 20s...
  • 1. Completing my masters in May and in a career that I really love.
    2. Reading the TW saga and able to express my OCD without shame, but pride.
    3. Discovering the lex and my friemily
    4. Discovering my beloved cop and good smut. Thank you Gutter Ladies!
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Oh Una! I'm sending warm and fuzzy thoughts your way. I hope they find out what's wrong with your dad. It's just awful not knowing what's wrong.

Most memorable moments of the last decade of my life- ages 23-33...
1. our 10th wedding anniversary this past week
2. having my nephew's birth on my and mom's birthdays, making 3 generations of us with the same b-day
3. finding Twilight
4. discovering the Lex
5. making lots of friends on the Lex; I love my friemily!
6. witnessing the birth of another nephew
7. graduating college
8. getting married
una

Post by una »

Hey - some good news today: my dad's temperature is going down and the throbbing is lessened!! He is on round 2 of IV antibiotics. Thank you all again for your warm thoughts and wishes, I think they are working! :D :D

And my RLF aka "Book Buddy" is going to finally join this website! Woo Hoo! As soon as she creates her account, I'll steer her over here. She is a more avid reader than I am! I'm excited for you all to "meet" her!