Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Post by una »

We need a new question. So to try to revive our discussions: what movie made the biggest positive impact on you during your childhood?!?

I have to think about this before I answer it.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Hi everybody! I've been away from the computer for a while and checked the Lex only briefly because of some health problems. I ended up in hospital twice before the doctors understood it was just a simple virus that could be cured in a very simple way. I'm still at home and probably until tomorrow...the only problem is that it's the third time I take this virus this year and the doctors don't have a clue about the reasons why my stomach is so weak and delicate. I'll end up becoming something like a vegeterian myself - and not in the Cullen's way :lol:

I'm realising right now I have two questions to answer, mine and Una's.

QOTD1 Regarding bad boys I have to agree with both Una and Bac. Your "theories" sounds both good to me...I personally think we are attracted to bad boys because they are different but also because, more or less unconsciously, people who are meek and quiet would like to go "bad" sometimes. I think what I call the red-cross syndrome plays a big part especially in women: it's in our DNA (usually, there exceptions to the rule) to care for other people and try to cure them, at any level. A friend of mine used to say every woman's dream is to be her man's last woman: it may be a bit too strong but there some truth in it. Unfortunately, there some bad boys that cannot be changed and that's why, I think, we keep talking now and then about this issue and why we are attracted to ambiguous - in the sense they have a dark side - characters like Jace, Edward, Jacob.

QOTD2 I don't have to think a lot about this question because I perfectly know which movie stands out among the dozens I used to like when I was a child: The Mission with Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons and Liam Neeson. I don't know if the movie is famous in the States but it was a must see for a while here in Italy. Apart from the beautiful landscape and the wonderful soundtrack, it was the story that hit me so much I cried each time I was the movie. I've been educated in the Catholic faith so the story obviously hit some hidden cord in me but, apart from the religious message and meaning of the movie, what I will remember forever is the strength and dignity with which the Jesuits in the movie took the side of the Indians, giving their own life to preserve what they believed in. I guess my care for the problems related to colonisation and stolen generations was positively influenced by the movie. Some of the scenes are really strong but what I remember isn't the blodd but the resolute expression of those who faced death for a right cause, being it either the chance to live in the forest or the permission to keep the mission going.
I've just realised it's hard to follow my words if you're not familiar with the movie...you can find all the information on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091530/
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Dimber I am so sorry to hear that you've been sick! I hope the doctors can figure out why so you stop getting this! Glad you are back!

QOTD: I've been thinking about this. I really can't think of a movie from when I was a kid that changed me. I think I have more of a kinship to books since there are books that stand out to me when I was young. However, there is no movie that really stands out as something that called to me or changed me in some way. I'm going to think some more on this one.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!! for those that celebrate it!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Just posting to say I'm here. I have no idea what's going on or what the topic is.

Feel me in, someone?
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

GNE - Nice to see that you've returned to the Lex and I have to admit that I've been absent too. So, I'm sending you *big hugs* and I'm glad your back.

QOTD - now I can't say that there was one movie in particular that changed me but I do have to say that I loved The Champ. It was just something about that movie that touched me and just thinking about it makes me want to see it. I may need to do some web surfing to see if it's on DVD. I just want to start crying thinking about the end.

Wow, it's nice to be back and posting again.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

Yes, I can't think of a movie that made a positive impact on my life as a child... However, I remember seeing Brian's Song when I was little and I cried so hard... I loved ET and Star Wars, etc, and those added to a life long love of Sci-Fi... But I can't say that a movie actually impacted me in a positive manner.

Welcome home, GNE and Skylar!!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I, too, can't think of a movie that impacted my life as a child. There are certain ones I remember seeing and what I was doing at the time, sure. The one that made the biggest impact on me in my early teens was "Anne of Green Gables." I saw the movie before reading the book. My BFF and I took the "oath of friendship." It just showed me the tenacity Anne had for relationships in her life. She longed to be wanted and loved. She put a lot of stock in her friendship with Diana. Most of us go through life with several close friends, but there's always that one "bosom friend" that is our bestest, the one who knows everything about us, the one we confide in. I've had mine for over 20 years now, and boy, have we been through the wringer together!
una

Post by una »

I have thought about this question (so sad, since I am the one that posted it) but it seems no one movie really changed me. I remember wanting to be certain characters. There are many times I saw characters and completely sympathized with their predicaments. But I think overall, most of the movies showed me that you can reach a goal. No matter who or what you are, you can make and achieve goals. If you can dream and work hard, you can achieve your dream.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Thanks for the welcome! *HUGS*

I can't really think of a movie that has made a positive impact on my life. Of course, when I'm lying in bed tonight trying to fall asleep I will think of one.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

The movie that stands out most to me was The Outsiders. I was as absorbed by it as I was with Twilight (maybe more) and after reading the book a million times, seeing the movie was just the icing on the cake. I taped it when it was on A&E one night and watched it repeatedly. I knew the movie line for line, I think. I wrote a lot of what would now be considered fanfic associated with it. Knowing that the author was a 16 year old girl was also inspiring to an aspiring writer such as myself.