Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
JenTheWriter
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Post by JenTheWriter »

Everything Phil Collins.
Everything Madonna.
Twisted Sister -- We're Not Going to Take It.

I have more, but I can't think. lol

I justed wanted to come and pout. My friend explained to me that I needed to play the game that this guy I'm interested in is playing on me. The one where he randomly says hi, has conversations, flirts ... (there is so much more to this story, and basic word that describes it is complicated). And she told me he does it to keep my mind focused on him. But how men don't play it daily, just here and there and I needed to play that game too and keep him thinking about me.

I've never played a game in my life and it feels wrong because it feels like I'm cheating. Why can't people just be themselves and not have to resort to childish-high school-like tactics? Am I wrong here? I mean I'm not naive when it comes to men and relationships, I was just fully unaware of this game.

And the sad things is -- it's working!
"And if you ever kiss her again, I will break your jaw for her," he promised.
Team Edward, Alice and Cullen! Swoonist. Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3's brain twin!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

JennyTheWriter sometimes playing a little is a good thing. I mean, there's always a moment when you can't play anymore, especially if you want the relationship to last long. But it's not like cheating, in my opinion, it's just a creative way to communicate. The problem is that men tend to go on playing also after the cards have been showed...so, I think you should ask yourself a little fundamental question: is he playing like this to keep me interested or just because he is a player and that's all?
By the way, I don't want to scare you: enjoy this wonderful stage of the relationship...it's so much fun!!!! And good luck for the after game :mrgreen:

Just a quick news: the bank gave us a positive answer and in a couple of weeks we should sign the mortgage contract. Within one hour bf and I are going to visit the flat again to arrange the last small things with the proprietor and take some pictures. Since the flat was redecorated some years ago we don't need to do anything but taking our own furniture with us. But, since every room is painted in a different colour we must take picture in order to buy the right type of furniture...we could change the color of the walls but it's just so classy and beautiful I don't want to change anything!
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Congratulations Dimber. That is very exciting and you are lucky that there is little work that needs to be done. Have fun buying furniture and decorating!
by Laniyeah on photobucket
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

That's great Dimber! Congratulations! Now you'll have a new place to put all of your fantastic books!

Holy! Exclamation! Points! Batman! I think I need a visit from the punctuation police.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Congratulations Dimber! What wonderful news, I am so happy for you guys!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Thanks everybody...everything should be settled by the end of April. Until then, I keep my fingers crossed: in such a time of crisis you never know what might happen with banks, mortgages and that kinf od stuff.
I see that the thread has gone very quiet, maybe it's just because of spring approaching. I guess we need a new question so I'll post one. I know it may sounds strange but it came to my mind after I finished reading City of Bones and found myself utterly fascinated by Jace. I thought this kind of hero recurs in literature: think of Heathcliff, the firce Mr. Darcy...so I asked myself why we usually like this kind of guys, and why this happens also the other way round, with guys liking "bad" girls. So, here goes the question...

QQotD Why do you think we seem to be always attracted to "bad" guys/girls? Do you think is what I call the red cross syndrome that makes us think we can change them or something else?

una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Glad to hear everything is moving, Dimber! I hope it all goes smoothly and as stress-free as possible!

Great question! I think it has to do partly with opposites attract - we tend to go for someone who is a different than us. If you think about it, a good team has a person that can cover each weakness. When picking the "bad" guy/girl, you are picking the person who will keep you safe, protect you while you are the one to give the nurturing, comfort, and such. I know for some it is because you want to change them (maybe you had someone in your life that was "bad" and this is your way of saving that person and in a way the relationship you had with them) but I've been thinking about this in a different way. What if it is the subconscious of our species in making sure that the "couple" can defend and nurture the village?
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Hi there!!! Where is everybody these days???? I really hope you're all having a lot of fun :D
I'm personally relaxing before the thesis defence on April 7th. I've just realised I haven't replied to my own question yet...I'll do this afternoon, as soon as I get back from work. I'm too sleepy at the moment to even think about a plausible and consistent answer :lol:

I've just hired a Beatles tribute band for my wedding party: that's totally awesome!!!!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =129142176

una

Post by una »

Great news Dimber! They look awesome! It has been quiet, but I'm sure with all that everyone has going on, that's why. Things always seem to pick up here during summer and winter breaks.
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

What a fun band dimber. That will be a blast.

QOTD: I used to like "bad" boys to look at and think about, but I wouldn't really want to date them or marry them. I was attracted to them because they were different than me. I was so shy and reserved and straight laced that wild and crazy seemed really exciting to me. I know that in reality it never would work because I would always be too nervous though to push that far out of my comfort zone.
by Laniyeah on photobucket