The Classics -- Films, books, etc

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Bewitched
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: The Classics -- Films, books, etc

Post by Bewitched »

Well I finally finished P&P. I had a hard time getting into it at first and I don't know why since I love the movie so much. Maybe because the movie gives you instant gratification. But at least now I can say I read it.

I got a chance to watch The Women last weekend. The orginal. I love that movie even though my kids make fun of the ending. Yeah, I know she was a little over the top. Sigh, I love my TCM.
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

Oliver Oliver TWIST!!!!!!!
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

Sing Food, Glorious Food, Maddy..... now!
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
obieewok
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by obieewok »

I found this really funky old bookstore in Terrell, TX called Books and Crannies. It smells like a very old public library, probably because that is where all the books are from. There is a cat named Mattie that lives there (little old lady runs the joint) since Hurricane Katrina displaced her and she prefers the Boxcar children section it seems. I noticed in the very back there is a little theatre, all black bricked with a big projection pull down. Every Friday night the little old lady shows an old movie of her choosing for her and anyone to enjoy. Hubby and I went last Friday and enjoyed "Made for Each Other" staring Carole Lombard and Jimmy Stewart.

I don't watch many old movies. My general rule is that if it was in black and white or technicolor I'm out. But sitting among all the older people (We were the young uns'---that's what they kept calling us) as they talked about 1939 (that's the year the movie was made) and them sharing stories of old movie stars, it was very cool.

price of a movie ticket- zero dollars
popcorn and drink -donation dollars
Hubby thinking purring Mattie was an old person behind us----priceless.

Tried reading Wuthering Heights---can't do it. I detest all things Austen. Did read Catcher in the Rye---not a fan of Holden's. Classics that I enjoy are probably like Wind in the Willows and The Whipping Boy. And anything Judy Blume.

TV Classics---Macgyver lol, Out of this World (anyone remember that show?) My Two Dads, Alf and Melrose Place. Those are all classics to me!
"Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.'"

Like my banner? Suck it. MRK made it for me.
Sterling Snow
Location: chillen with Jasper, Draco, and the people in mah head

Post by Sterling Snow »

I just finished Pride & Prejudice today. At first i thought it was boring, but once I got into it, I really started to enjoy it. Now I'm onto Sense & Sensibility, and I'll read Wuthering Heights after that.

It was actually Twilight that made me want to start reading the classics. SM loosely based the Twilight saga off of some classics (Pride & Prejudice, Romeo & Juliet, Wuthering Heights, The Merchant of Venice).

Ugh, I can't find any Shakespeare in my school library, so I'm going to look at the public library over spring break. I read Romeo & Juliet for English, but I HATED IT. I love Shakespeare's style of writing, but the story just irritated the heck out of me.
Yes, I love Harry Potter. Yes, I am in Slytherin. Will that be a problem?
Team Taylor and Team Robert
I'm baaaack! (and fangirlier than ever!!!)
If you know how to make banners/avatars, please pm me, cuz I'm in desperate need of one!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Yeah, I agree with you on that Sterling Snow.
I can't get into Shakespeare because of his story lines. Romeo&Juliet bugged the heck out of me. And I didn't care for Taming of the Shrew, either. Those are really the only 2 Shakespeares that I've read, but I know a lot of the plots of his other books and they seem just as bad.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

wow, I guess that just goes to show you why they have chocolate and vanilla...LOL I loved Taming of the Shrew :)

Thank you Naureen!!
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I read Pride & Prejudice and like it. I tried to read Sense & Sensibility but couldn't get into it. I got the movie for my b-day & I'm going to try to watch it first & then see if I can read it.

I read Little Women & liked it okay, but I didn't think it was great.

(those are the only classics I've read, that I can remember anyway.)

I can't read Shakespeare. I'm really stupid or something but I just don't understand half of what is going on & so therefore have a really hard time reading it.

I want to try to read Wuthering Heights sometime (because of Eclipse) but don't know when I'll get around to it.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Sterling Snow
Location: chillen with Jasper, Draco, and the people in mah head

Post by Sterling Snow »

I finished reading Wuthering Heights and i enjoyed it much more than Pride & Prejudice. It was darker and more passionate. It made me cry, too, which doesn't happen a lot when I read.
Yes, I love Harry Potter. Yes, I am in Slytherin. Will that be a problem?
Team Taylor and Team Robert
I'm baaaack! (and fangirlier than ever!!!)
If you know how to make banners/avatars, please pm me, cuz I'm in desperate need of one!
Miista Cullen
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Miista Cullen »

Sorry if anyone has sid this. If so, just ignore this one:

Book: Gone With The Wind and Romeo and Juliet.
Movie: The Sound of Music.
Hinata Hyuuga:
Image Image Image