Heavenly Hash--a thread for the "older" Twilight crowd

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: Heavenly Hash--a thread for the "older" Twilight crowd

Post by Elizabeth »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:"What is it about these books that kids and seniors both relate to and love so much? Are there any other books (other than HP, i guess) that have crossed the generational gap so profoundly?"
The series is unique because it connects with a vast audience. The main lure is that everyone wants to love and be loved. And everyone can relate to many of these characters at some level. The characters are so real, you learn to love them and they take on life forms of their own! The series was like a journey, a journey we were invited to experience. At the end of the journey, we all took something from the series. I feel it's a special 'something' that will always be a part of me, a part of my own journey.
Other than Harry Potter, I can't think of another series that reaches such a diverse audience. I believe it's because the story centers about love- and love is blind and knows no boundaries- love is universal, it needs no translation.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

Please excuse me if this doesn't make complete sense. (I've been up for 19 hours and am running on 3 hours of sleep, so I may no longer be able to form cohesive sentences). The Saga is amazing because it reaches over generations, like it does (HP, too). I cannot think of any other new book or series that does this. The only other book(s) I can think of that all generations read and appreciate are true classic books (e.g. The Great Gatsby, A Tale of Two Cities, The Scarlet Letter, etc. You know.) That's the only thing I can think of. Maybe some best-sellers? Then again, these books are generally for late teen to adult.
To help explain, an example. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's a National Bestseller, and on People's Top Ten. Amazing book, but definitely NOT for the younger generation.
So, yeah, probably just the classics (though, I don't know younger people that have read them either) and HP and this.
Okay, I realize I stopped making sense a while ago, so I'm stopping.
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

What is it about these books that kids and seniors both relate to and love so much? Are there any other books (other than HP, i guess) that have crossed the generational gap so profoundly?

Such a good question! As far as any other books that have crossed the generational gap, the only series or books (other than classics as samajama said) is The Chronicles of Narnia series. It's written more for children, but I know a lot of adults that love those books too.

As far as what is that we can relate to so much, I've been asking myself this ever since I first read Twilight in June 2007. I think a lot of it is the element of being able to overcome what we are to be better. I also think the love aspect appeals to so many people because they want that in their own life. I've come to realize that although my relationship with my husband won't be like Bella and Edward's, I can still have similar aspects in my relationship. I also relate to Bella. I'm not clutzy, per se, but I have a lot of confidence issues, especially when it comes to my spouse. He doesn't intentionally make me feel that way just like Edward doesn't for Bella, but it's still there. I'm waiting for my time to shine as a new vampire to realize that I'm equal to my husband. The story gives me hope that I can, even if I can't become a vampire. ;) I guess those would be the three major things that I relate to.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

What is it about these books that kids and seniors both relate to and love so much? Are there any other books (other than HP, i guess) that have crossed the generational gap so profoundly? Great question, GNE!

I think what enables the cross generation appeal is the timelessness and purity of the story. Just because a story is written for young adults/children doesn't mean an adult cannot enjoy it. If the story has compelling characters and a engrossing plot, even with the simplified language and avoidance of involving more adult situations and such, it's a great story that can be enjoyed by all. That's what books should be, great stories. The only reason they are classified/segregated into categories is so that children are not exposed to more adult themes and such too soon.

Adults and children (and young adults) alike enjoy coming of age stories, those types of stories where a weaker or lesser feeling person overcomes their great obstacle and becomes stronger, special, loved, accepted. All humans seek acceptance on some level (whether it be love, friendship, companionship) and reading about it helps gives us that warm fuzzy feeling we all crave. Like Jenni said, people like to read about love. A lot of novels will have main characters that have some sort of tension from their relationship. Even non-romance categorized stories contain some aspect of a relationship because it is a universal issue with humans. A way to get the reader to relate to the characters more.

Okay, I'm starting to become incoherent and ramble, must drink more coffee. But I hope the above makes sense.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Great responses! Oleander is the one who came up with the great question. I merely brought it over from the Gen X thread.

I cannot think of another book or book series that has crossed the generations like Twilight...besides HP. While I am a big fan of the American classics such as Gatsby, I don't know many people who purposely seek it out. Most people are introduced to it via school. I was introduced to the book in my 4th year of college. I was 33, and loved it.

CherryKnots is a perfect example of Twilight going across the generations. CherryKnots has read it, of course, but so has her 15 yo daughter, her mother, and her sister. I believe that is correct.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Carrie80
Settled in Forks

Post by Carrie80 »

Perhaps we'll never really be able to pin-point the EXACT connection factor. The beauty is that it exists at all. For me, Twilight was an escape. Something that was easy to fall into and get lost in. I remember thinking about it constantly when I had finished it...things like-oooh a cloudy day...it's a good day for Edward to come out to play...So silly, but it was exactly what I needed!
It's nice to know that love does exist out there in the world-on paper and in reality. There are too many mean people in the world today-so SM gives us something to hold on to...a bit of hope.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Carrie, we've missed you!

I agree, I knew that Twilight was something because I couldn't get the characters out of my head. I kept seeing them, thinking about them, and the story. It's why I found the lex, I would find myself looking around the internet about Twilight, found SM's site, read everything there and then found the link to here. I'm so glad I did, it was great to get these questions and thoughts off my chest and meet other people with the same issues. It was great to know I was not alone.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

just checking it out over here... I have heard good things :)
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
mandustries
Learning to Love Green

Post by mandustries »

Carrie80 wrote:Perhaps we'll never really be able to pin-point the EXACT connection factor. The beauty is that it exists at all. For me, Twilight was an escape. Something that was easy to fall into and get lost in. I remember thinking about it constantly when I had finished it...things like-oooh a cloudy day...it's a good day for Edward to come out to play...So silly, but it was exactly what I needed!
It's nice to know that love does exist out there in the world-on paper and in reality. There are too many mean people in the world today-so SM gives us something to hold on to...a bit of hope.
I think you're on to something Carrie80, and that's that (in general terms) everyone likes a little fantasy now and then. It's wonderful to be able to escape into someone else's world, especially a world inhabited by Cullens. ;)
una wrote:I agree, I knew that Twilight was something because I couldn't get the characters out of my head. I kept seeing them, thinking about them, and the story. It's why I found the lex, I would find myself looking around the internet about Twilight, found SM's site, read everything there and then found the link to here. I'm so glad I did, it was great to get these questions and thoughts off my chest and meet other people with the same issues. It was great to know I was not alone.
I've always had an obsessive personality when it comes to certain things (ahem, Roswell, the first season of The OC ... :oops: ) but nothing has ever affected me quite like Twilight. It's practically taken over my life ... and I couldn't be happier. A day doesn't go by that I don't refer to something in Twilight, even if it's just in my head.

I feel like loving Twilight has made me a part of a community. Through the Lex, I've made two really great friends and a bunch of other acquaintances that I might not have ever gotten the chance to know if it weren't for our shared interest in all things Twilight. I was in a slump, both personally and creatively, and Twilight has inspired me to break free from some of my self-imposed bonds.

That sounds almost silly, that a book series could alter my life in such dramatic ways, but I knew that I could admit it here without the fear of being gawked at. :D
Banner made by me! Avatar by LJ user lookingtoescape.
I'll never hear thunder the same way again.
Read *Jasper Lurks*--The writings of two Twilighters.
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Right on, Carrie80!

My passion for Twilight was so strong that I infected by entire staff at work. Everyone has read the TW, but few have gone to read all 4 of them. I even bit my girlfriend who rarely reads and now is a proud owner of all 4 books, which she read in a week. What I love about this series is that it has many layers. There's the romance part, but there are really deep, underlining issues such as choice, immortality, and ultimately consequences that keep me entertained and my brain working.

[quote=mandustries]I've always had an obsessive personality when it comes to certain things (ahem, Roswell, the first season of The OC ... :oops: ) but nothing has ever affected me quite like Twilight. It's practically taken over my life ... and I couldn't be happier. A day doesn't go by that I don't refer to something in Twilight, even if it's just in my head.[/quote]

Never before the TW Saga was I excited about a book, waiting for a book and going to an author signing. Heck, I've never made a fan t-shirt and had the kutzpah to wear it around in public before. I just wish that the Cullens were real. :cry:
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!