Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Post by Openhome »

No rainbow? I liked the rainbow writing!
OK Remmet (sorry, but that is all I know to call you), your thesis carries with it the supposition that the core of humanity, that which is seen as essential, is culture variant. In other words, what is of primary importance changes from one sub-set culture to the next. My original reason for the post is that, when I go on the boards that discuss great books or great television (oxymoron for most shows) the only barrier is language. LOTR is loved by people who can't speak a lick of English, but love the themes and world created by Tolkien just as much as we do.

So, there must be some core themes that have Japanese girls going nuts for the Twilight universe just as much as us. Universal themes. To use greek philosophy, the perfect ideal that transcends human existence. Can there be such things? The evidence points unequivocally to yes. Sacrifice is a biggie, but what of others?

Why are there international geeks for such stories?
Long post, and very complex, but GOOD discussion.
dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:Well, yeah! Good stories can be a lot like real life, even if they're not "real life" stories. The Diary of Anne Frank makes most everyone cry because its a real life story of an innocent person who suffered a heck of a lot, which everyone (unless your Voldemort; sorreh, re-reading HP7 again) can relate to in some part, so it awakes our emotions. Yet so does Lord of the Rings, which doesn't even take place on Earth and most people aren't human, yet it still has a lot of humanity and their best and worst in it.
Love that! By the way, love the specrtospecs too!
The reason for the discussion is not just to find the common theme, but to use it. Once we see what is true, can we ourselves strive for it?
Deeper and deeper we go!!
Remmett_Until_Dusk
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Remmett_Until_Dusk »

As ever brain twin, you blow me away. literally, my discussions with you are the highlight of my lex world existance. I thank you.
And Remmett is fine. my friends call me that in real life even when they know my name! (love_is_noise, i'm talking about you ¬_¬ )
And this rainbow post is for you dear friend, although I don't know how coherent it is :lol:
As for the topic in hand, I have completely forgotten what I was going to say! :lol:
lets just assume it was something witty and awsome... :roll: :lol: 8-)
but that is a point. This might be slightly off topic but how different affairs are consumed internationally is an absolute mystery to me.
Places all across the globe got twilight in the cinema and dvd before us brits. and you americans took our language in the first place! we speak english! we should be second in line, don't you think? America, then Britain, then Japan because they get everything, then canada and australia and such then the rest of the world

yeah, very off topic. I'm sorry, carry on without me :lol:
Remmett Until Dusk
Emmett's
Demolition Crew! But not as good as Jasper's Confederate Army! Hell Yeah!
Team PG!-Remmett Nightstorm. ~ Cullenism and patriotism and the host. ~
Cullenism Martyr/Missionary in training.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Well if the last bit of news is true the first Hobibit film script should be done by weeks end just in time to take it to the studio for the green light for a budget...they are palnning on working on the script for part 2 while the first movie starts pre-production...can't wait to see the Hobbit come to the big screen again...Peter Jackson and his crew did a fabulous job on the Lord of the Rings and I expect nothing less of him now... :D

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Twilight series and the Hobbit on the big screen! The news is almost overwhelming! :D
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Remmett, you have to remember every single kid in Japan is an uber L33T hacker. Obviously they threatened to hack the movie unless they got it second. :D
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

And, many of the Asian countries don't have copy write laws, so it is legal to copy and sell things like bootleg dvd's and stuff. The only way the studios have to compete is by getting there first, right after the US.
Remmett_Until_Dusk
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Remmett_Until_Dusk »

:shock:

Un. Fair.
U.N.F.A.I.R.
unfair.
UNFAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIRRRRRR, I TELL YOU!

Seriously, we had to wait 'til 5:30 pm on the 19th December 2008 for our first viewing of Twilight!
Don't ask how I can remember that, its just something I do.
Like, the state fish of Hawaii is Humahumanukanukapua'a.
:lol: all off by heart people!

and another thing ( :o Turning into Jeremy Clarkson there) Y'all know i'm a big fan of being creative with the lex font colours.

Why is it that of all the colours (or colors for the benefit of you americans), there is no Grey? HMM???????

unacceptable. Yeesh, its so obvious i'm british - I sound like a friggin' food critic whether I want to or not! :shock:

Oh and Hobbit, yes, big news, very exited, whoppdydoo, fandabydozy, bananas.
Remmett Until Dusk
Emmett's
Demolition Crew! But not as good as Jasper's Confederate Army! Hell Yeah!
Team PG!-Remmett Nightstorm. ~ Cullenism and patriotism and the host. ~
Cullenism Martyr/Missionary in training.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Hobbit news is awesome, but it is like some kinds of soap opera trying to get that thing filming. Sheesh.
Grey is a color, my computer accepts both words. But on my computer colour isn't a word. Isn't that funny. I write grey both ways because gray can truly be pronounced both ways.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

You know, I've always wondered what it would be like to be a great flaming eye (I'm watching Return of the King right now). Honestly, what would you do? Sit there and stare at people all day? Though that would be useful for spying on people- I bet Sauron enjoys Elrond's taste in dresses. But what happens if you get an itch? Its not like you can order an Orc to scratch it for you, because A. you're on fire so they'd get toasted, and B. Orcs are icky and dirty and they'd probably give you pink eye just looking at them.
There needs to be a fanfic called "A Day in the Life of the Eye of Sauron".
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

^^^ :lol: :lol: ^^^
I nearly fell of my chair with that one!
Thanks so much for the terrific laugh!

Write it! It'll be an immediate hit!