Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Post by Openhome »

I am so glad that this thread is open! I am a total geek for LOTR and have read all the books about 17 times, even Silmarillion. The books are so rich and textured on so many levels, that I don't even know where to start. How many of you have multiple LOTR items that fill your home? I know I do, and I am in my 40's. Way too old to get more stuff to dust. But I love the things. Most of the older women that I know who love Twilight also are total Tolkien fans. We should get together and gush on elves, rangers, and vampires. What a universe that would make! :)
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

By the way, how many out there can write or speak in Elvish?
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I can, a little. I've kinda been working on it, I'm better at writing in Dwarvish since its so close to Norsk.
And if I had the money, I would have tons of gear. My friend and I covet most highly the gauntlets of the Witch King of Angmorar. They are so flipping cool.

I also highly disagree mixing elves and vampires. Theyre bnoth immortal and sexy, just one doesn't have to suck blood.
And I really like the Silmarillion, because it wasn't all that hard for me. The Children of Hurin is stil my favorite though.
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Openhome wrote:By the way, how many out there can write or speak in Elvish?
I can read some of the most famous sentences and write simple things such as greetings and wishes. Some years ago I tried to study Quenya but it's really really hard. Now that I'm done with school I might try again...I'm also thinking of having the inscription of my wedding ring in Quenya or Syndarin!
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

~*~Emily~*~
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ~*~Emily~*~ »

Openhome wrote:I am so glad that this thread is open! I am a total geek for LOTR and have read all the books about 17 times, even Silmarillion. The books are so rich and textured on so many levels, that I don't even know where to start. How many of you have multiple LOTR items that fill your home? I know I do, and I am in my 40's. Way too old to get more stuff to dust. But I love the things. Most of the older women that I know who love Twilight also are total Tolkien fans. We should get together and gush on elves, rangers, and vampires. What a universe that would make! :)
I totally agree about them being so rich and textured.They are really a masterpiece.

I have MANY LOTR items(see my earlier post)

Haha,that's awesome! It's really cool how many of us started off as Ringers,and then became Twihards ^__^ what wonderfull worlds to get swept away in..<3
<><
~TEAM EDWARD~
Team Cullen-Giving the word Vampire a whole new meaning
ImageImage
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

I tried to learn Quenya, it didn't work. I only know one word in Elvish and I think it's in Syndarin--"mellon" means friend, I think. I wanted to learn more, but, not having anyone to practice with made it really hard. I had the same problem with Gaelic. BTW, I forgot to mention that I've also read the Unfinished Tales. Really cool. Bye!
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

I know some of the Elvish dialogue spoken in the movies, Elvish verses from the soundtrack and I know The One Ring engraving written in Black Speech.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Wow! I am so impressed that so many of us can do an imaginary but totally beautiful language like elven. I used to be very good at Syndarin, but I could also write in Quenyan all the time at school. My family is so very geeky that my brother would say something to me in Klingon or Vulcan and I would respond with some sentence I made up from Syndarin. Ah the excesses of youth!
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

So what do you all think about he Hobbit coming out in just over a year?

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

I am VERY excited to see what they can do with it. I was just blown away by the visual imagery and storyline of the LOTR movies, and this one sounds like it is on track to be just deliciously satisfying.