Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
keds723
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Post by keds723 »

Okay, so throughout my teen years, I was totally in love with Legolas. It was unhealthy. He was a very pretty boy. I grew up though, and so did my taste. and now...it's Aragorn ALL THE WAY BABY! He is a beast and I want him now. ;)

I'm really excited that Guillermo de Toro is going to be directing! I love him so much. Did you all see Pan's Labyrinth? (Really good scored soundtrack too) And I mean, Peter Jackson...you can't go wrong! I can't wait.
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Love_is_noise I definitely prefer Legolas, who is one of my favourite characters in the whole book. The films didn't do him justice at all: he was portrayed like a sort of battle freak with super hero powers while in the book he is Aragorn counterpart in the Elvish world. He is a royal character in so many senses: loyal, brave, wise...I wish he was portrayed better in the movies. Plus, Orlando Bloom was so awful in the part :evil:

Apart from Legolas, my favourite character is Eowyn: she is the only human in the story I love. She is so brave and strong, and fragile at the same time. Tolkien describes her with such a poetry it is impossible to admire her. The cage speech "What do you fear milady?" "The cage..." (yes, I know by heart whole passages of the book :mrgreen: ) is pure poetry...

Regarding The Hobbit I'm not very happy about Del Toro. He is too visionary for the movie. I mean, Tolkien describes hobbits and the other creatures in a very precise way, with so many details it will be impossible for the director to impose his style without revolutioning the whole world. We'll see what happens.

By the way, though the movies are good (especially The Return of the King ExEd) I suggest that everybody read the books. Are extremely long and have a style that is completely different from modern urban fantasy but they're worth it. I suggest also The Silmarillion: that's difficult in both style and language but it is absolutely wonderful. I personally don't appreciate the Tales of Middle Earth because you can feel that Tolkien's son elaborated his father's notes after he died...that's why I haven't bought yet The Children of Hurin: that's not Tolkien, I mean the original one.

Since there seem to be a lot of Tolkien's fans in here I have a request: does anybody of you have an illustration or screen cap from the movie with the party tree of Bilbo? I need some pictures of the tree and the party scene for my wedding invitations...
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I went through a big LOTR obsession phase when I was like 15. I've seen the movies probably 50 times apiece (at least) and my friend and I used to have discussions that carried on for hours. I could never get through the first book though. I couldn't even get past chapter 10.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

i have the films on VIDEO, yes that's right VIDEO!!!!!!
i love them so much...one of my friends..remmett_until_dusk onhere has never seen them *gasp* so i'm having her over for a lotr marathon atsome point, with the return of the king in there it will be like 7 hours long!!

i prefer legolas in the books but aragorn in the movies....i'm reading eldest (2nd in the eraggon series) and the elves are so simmilar to those in LOTR, i keep expecting legolas to jump out at any second
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

love_is_noise wrote: i prefer legolas in the books but aragorn in the movies....i'm reading eldest (2nd in the eraggon series) and the elves are so simmilar to those in LOTR, i keep expecting legolas to jump out at any second
I have to disagree on this: Paolini is nothing compared to Tolkien, so are the elves in Eragon compared to fierce people in The Lord of the Rings.
Sadly enough, nobody has ever reached Tolkien's height so far :cry:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Sadly no one has... I've read several series that come close though. The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan, The Sword Of Shanarra by Terry Brooks, those are the fantasy-epic-goodvsevil books I've read and there are alot more I'm forgetting.....
obieewok
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by obieewok »

Ok. I was totally uninterested in anything LOTR related, but hubby made me watch it. He said that there was enough eye candy to keep me interested, and since he turned me on to Doctor Who and Torchwood (I'm a BBC AMERICA FREAK) I couldn't deny him this.

I sat down and watched the movies.

Legolas is seriously the most coolest thing ever. There's some scene where he is getting on a horse and it's seriously the coolest thing EVER. You know when Legolas looks scared YOU should be scared because the dude has it totally together.

And Aragon----well, no words need to be said. That dude is HOT. I was like "Why haven't I watched these things before??????"

So, yep, not only was the eye candy a plenty, but the story was awesome. Hubs says I should read the book, especially since The Hobbit is being made into a movie. He says the books have a ton more detail so I think I might take a stab at reading them. Man I wish I looked like Liv Tyler.

Color me happy.
"Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.'"

Like my banner? Suck it. MRK made it for me.
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

Legolas is my favourite and Faramir is not bad either.

It was only I watched the movie that I started reading the books. The books are great but the movies are not bad too. They definitely deserved to win all those awards.

Anything by Tolkien is recommended, (Silmarillion, The Hobbit etc) I think I finished most of his collection. But, I have not yet read Children of Hurin.

I heard that they will be making a movie on the The Hobbit. I will surely watch it.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

dimber wrote:
love_is_noise wrote: i prefer legolas in the books but aragorn in the movies....i'm reading eldest (2nd in the eraggon series) and the elves are so simmilar to those in LOTR, i keep expecting legolas to jump out at any second
I have to disagree on this: Paolini is nothing compared to Tolkien, so are the elves in Eragon compared to fierce people in The Lord of the Rings.
Sadly enough, nobody has ever reached Tolkien's height so far :cry:
i was not saying that he is as good as tolkien..far from it...i just found that i found eragon to be a much simmilar story to lotr..(not as good) but he seems to have taken alot of inspiration form tolkiens work.

i ahve persuaded my friend remmett_until_dusk to watch the films..now she is hooked...i'm not sure if im happy about making her watch them now though, she keeps refering to me as gimli (due to my height-or lack of it)
i'll introduce her to this thread...if you don't mind her newly found obsession with legolas
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
Remmett_Until_Dusk
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Remmett_Until_Dusk »

:O

Hey, gimli. you're nickname had nothing to do with your height, i was comparing the comradship of Legolas and Gimli to our friendship.
and i can't imagine you with an axe.

but now you mention it....you are like, ALice Cullen short. so yeah, that works too.
yey, Gimli and Legols :D

that's right fellow twilighters, i said Legols. this is because that is his nickname by me.
(hehehe - i used the word fellow. like fellowship. fellowship of the ring. get it? hehehe)

anyway...erm...do you know, through all my ranting i have actually forgotten what i was going to post.
*rolls eyes*
Remmett Until Dusk
Emmett's
Demolition Crew! But not as good as Jasper's Confederate Army! Hell Yeah!
Team PG!-Remmett Nightstorm. ~ Cullenism and patriotism and the host. ~
Cullenism Martyr/Missionary in training.