Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Postby Openhome » Sun May 10, 2009 8:55 pm

I am so glad that this thread is open! I am a total geek for LOTR and have read all the books about 17 times, even Silmarillion. The books are so rich and textured on so many levels, that I don't even know where to start. How many of you have multiple LOTR items that fill your home? I know I do, and I am in my 40's. Way too old to get more stuff to dust. But I love the things. Most of the older women that I know who love Twilight also are total Tolkien fans. We should get together and gush on elves, rangers, and vampires. What a universe that would make! :)
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Postby Openhome » Sun May 10, 2009 8:59 pm

By the way, how many out there can write or speak in Elvish?
Openhome

Postby dandyvampgirl_13 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:54 pm

I can, a little. I've kinda been working on it, I'm better at writing in Dwarvish since its so close to Norsk.
And if I had the money, I would have tons of gear. My friend and I covet most highly the gauntlets of the Witch King of Angmorar. They are so flipping cool.

I also highly disagree mixing elves and vampires. Theyre bnoth immortal and sexy, just one doesn't have to suck blood.
And I really like the Silmarillion, because it wasn't all that hard for me. The Children of Hurin is stil my favorite though.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Postby dimber » Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 am

Openhome wrote:By the way, how many out there can write or speak in Elvish?

I can read some of the most famous sentences and write simple things such as greetings and wishes. Some years ago I tried to study Quenya but it's really really hard. Now that I'm done with school I might try again...I'm also thinking of having the inscription of my wedding ring in Quenya or Syndarin!
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Postby ~*~Emily~*~ » Mon May 11, 2009 1:19 am

Openhome wrote:I am so glad that this thread is open! I am a total geek for LOTR and have read all the books about 17 times, even Silmarillion. The books are so rich and textured on so many levels, that I don't even know where to start. How many of you have multiple LOTR items that fill your home? I know I do, and I am in my 40's. Way too old to get more stuff to dust. But I love the things. Most of the older women that I know who love Twilight also are total Tolkien fans. We should get together and gush on elves, rangers, and vampires. What a universe that would make! :)
I totally agree about them being so rich and textured.They are really a masterpiece.

I have MANY LOTR items(see my earlier post)

Haha,that's awesome! It's really cool how many of us started off as Ringers,and then became Twihards ^__^ what wonderfull worlds to get swept away in..<3
<><
~TEAM EDWARD~
Team Cullen-Giving the word Vampire a whole new meaning
ImageImage
~*~Emily~*~
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Postby therealmrswhitlock » Mon May 11, 2009 1:20 pm

I tried to learn Quenya, it didn't work. I only know one word in Elvish and I think it's in Syndarin--"mellon" means friend, I think. I wanted to learn more, but, not having anyone to practice with made it really hard. I had the same problem with Gaelic. BTW, I forgot to mention that I've also read the Unfinished Tales. Really cool. Bye!
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Postby tinuviel2006 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:32 pm

I know some of the Elvish dialogue spoken in the movies, Elvish verses from the soundtrack and I know The One Ring engraving written in Black Speech.
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Postby Openhome » Mon May 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Wow! I am so impressed that so many of us can do an imaginary but totally beautiful language like elven. I used to be very good at Syndarin, but I could also write in Quenyan all the time at school. My family is so very geeky that my brother would say something to me in Klingon or Vulcan and I would respond with some sentence I made up from Syndarin. Ah the excesses of youth!
Openhome

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue May 12, 2009 3:46 am

So what do you all think about he Hobbit coming out in just over a year?

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Postby Openhome » Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 am

I am VERY excited to see what they can do with it. I was just blown away by the visual imagery and storyline of the LOTR movies, and this one sounds like it is on track to be just deliciously satisfying.
Openhome

PreviousNext

Return to Flight to Phoenix