What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.TeddyBear
Playing Thunderball

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Mrs.TeddyBear »

Finding Grace by Alysissa something or other. I love it!
APPCShopper|Mafia~GabbyTagliano
AntoinetteFrost~JCA|TeamEdward&Esme|EDCCS|2ICofRJR
EDCBackhoeOperator|GarageCheerCpt&2IC|SBSLevel1Bodygaurd
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

I just finished If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it -- somewhere in the middle. It's about a girl who gets into a car accident and has an out-of-body experience. She basically follows her body around while watching her family grieve for her -- and she reminisces about her life. The end, not much to it. (I was hoping it would be better -- am I getting harder to impress??) Oh well.

But now I just started Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder -- so far I REALLY like it. Yelena is basically on death row for committing murder for self-defense but a slot came open for the King's food taster when the previous one dies, and she jumps at the chance of not hanging by the noose. As a food taster, she's trained to recognize the smell and taste of any poison and screen all of the King's food -- apparently he has a lot of enemies. But to keep her from escaping, she is fed Butterfly's dust, which is a poison that will kill her unless she stays in the castle to receive her once-daily antidote.

I really like the author's writing style and I can see potential for some romance. :D
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

^^ WOOHOO! I love Poison Study... love love love!
But its not the King. Its The Commander. Big difference. Oh, and I really really like Valek. Now he is a good character. Romance is good, in this case. :D

Finished Lost Years of Merlin. Is it just me, or have plots that amazed me when I was 13 are now ridiculously simple? I think I'm ruining reading for myself, but I can see right through plot devices and stuff and the entire story falls into place within a few chapters! Agh. Moving on to Charlie Bone, next.
Mrs.TeddyBear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Mrs.TeddyBear »

^^I loved Charlie Bone when I was younger, but I went back and re-read one of the books and it wasn't that good anymore :? I think Im doing the same thing you are, figuring the books out in the first few chapters than not enjoying them anymore...

I just read Epoch by a Timothy something. It was okay, kind of below my usual reading standards so that explains why i guess.
APPCShopper|Mafia~GabbyTagliano
AntoinetteFrost~JCA|TeamEdward&Esme|EDCCS|2ICofRJR
EDCBackhoeOperator|GarageCheerCpt&2IC|SBSLevel1Bodygaurd
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

I just started reading the first Maximum Ride book. I've heard it was good, so I picked it up. But for some reason I can't really get into it.... i don't know why. But I'm still only a couple chapters in, so hopefully later I'll get more interested.

And I also just watched the movie Howl's Moving Castle again, and remembered how much I absolutely loved it! After hearing that it was based on a book, I ordered it from my library and can't wait to get it!!!! I definitely think I've found a new obsession, haha.
i am bella
Often Mistaken for a Bear
Location: wherever it's raining .::. #9 .::. woiloping with sarah

Post by i am bella »

^^love that movie! have you seen any of hayao miyazakis other stuff? hes flipping amazing! :lol:

and to keep on topic, im still reading breaking dawn =/
i think i have like 3 chapters left, im deff in the 700s!
ImageImage
~sam~piercing/tattoo expert~sarah=twinny~im on the listv2!~
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:^^ WOOHOO! I love Poison Study... love love love!
But its not the King. Its The Commander. Big difference. Oh, and I really really like Valek. Now he is a good character. Romance is good, in this case. :D

Finished Lost Years of Merlin. Is it just me, or have plots that amazed me when I was 13 are now ridiculously simple? I think I'm ruining reading for myself, but I can see right through plot devices and stuff and the entire story falls into place within a few chapters! Agh. Moving on to Charlie Bone, next.
That's right! He is The Commander -- took over the place and kicked out the King (or killed him, not sure which).

At first I wasn't sure about Valek but I'm starting to have more and more respect for him. I'm not even half-way through yet so I'll have to see what happens.

Are the other books in the series as good as the first? Is it still about Yelena? I really like her character, she's so emotionally strong and very smart!
i am bella
Often Mistaken for a Bear
Location: wherever it's raining .::. #9 .::. woiloping with sarah

Post by i am bella »

i finished breaking dawn last night (this morning) :cry: , so now i have to read grapes of wrath :evil:
ImageImage
~sam~piercing/tattoo expert~sarah=twinny~im on the listv2!~
A.H
Official Dog Lover!

Post by A.H »

City of ashes- Cassandra Clare
Twinny, Layla| Graphics by Narnia| I'm on The List, Hurricane| Randie
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

I'm reading Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It's the first in the Dark Hunter books. Shannon wanted me to read them, so I decided to go back and forth between this series and the Stephanie Plum series.