What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: What are you reading?

Post by una »

Oh Twahy-lahyt, the Dark Hunter series is REALLY, REALLY good! There is a thread in this forum for it, check it out because the reading list can be tricky! Beware it will be spoilerish for you, but the reading order is one of the first posts on the thread. I'm eagerly awaiting the latest release, Bad Moon Rising.

I finished The Silent Strength of Stones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. It was good. I liked it but I thought it was a little slow in places. Now I am starting the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, I have Wizard for Hire which is the first three books in one volume, Storm Front, Fool Moon and Grave Peril. I have read a few short stories by him that are from this world/storyline and they were really good.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

UnfreakinBelievable wrote:That's right! He is The Commander -- took over the place and kicked out the King (or killed him, not sure which).

At first I wasn't sure about Valek but I'm starting to have more and more respect for him. I'm not even half-way through yet so I'll have to see what happens.

Are the other books in the series as good as the first? Is it still about Yelena? I really like her character, she's so emotionally strong and very smart!
Valek killed the old King. Snaps for Valek. And I really like the Commander, too. Too bad his government won't last when he's dead...
The next two books, Magic Study and Fire Study (I think that's the right order...) are really really good. We get to see even more of Yelena and her skills (which I can't say anything about or I'll ruin thme for you), but I didn't like the 4th one, Storm Glass, vert much at all. Its also not about Yelena, and the story simply isn't as strong. MS and FS are still really good, though! Definetely read those next!
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

sea change by aimee something.

it's actually really good.
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

I'm reading Pride and prejudice by Jane Austen !
I've just seen the film, and I really really wanted to read the book. I had it on my bookshelf so I started reading immediatly. I'm loving it so far but it doesn't go very fast 'cause I'm finding the english rather difficult since I'm not english .

I'm also, in between, reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 'cause I saw the movie last week and it made me want to read the book again, for like the 20th time or something :D

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

Red Moon at Sharpsburg by Rosemary Wells. This is an insanely good book, my favorite of the year 2009 so far. Everyone should read it. I actually got passionate about it, which is something that doesn't happen very often. I woke my sister up at 1:30 last night to rant at her about the book it's that involving. Seriously even if you don't like historical fiction you'll love this book. Everyone should read it. It's the story of India Moody a Virginian girl during the Civil War it starts when she's twelve and ends when she's almost 17. Told completely from herpoint of view the novel shows her personal conflicts as well as the problems that face every teenage girl and the socital mores of the time plus he rpersonal ambitions ALL while she struggles to understand the war raging around her. It's amazing writing, really. I cried with and for her, I was happy for her; at one point I threw the book against a wall and ranted in the middle of the night about happy endings. I was FURIOUS at parts, but NEVER neutral. Seriously, go to your local library or book store and check out or buy this book immediatly.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:
UnfreakinBelievable wrote:That's right! He is The Commander -- took over the place and kicked out the King (or killed him, not sure which).

At first I wasn't sure about Valek but I'm starting to have more and more respect for him. I'm not even half-way through yet so I'll have to see what happens.

Are the other books in the series as good as the first? Is it still about Yelena? I really like her character, she's so emotionally strong and very smart!
Valek killed the old King. Snaps for Valek. And I really like the Commander, too. Too bad his government won't last when he's dead...
The next two books, Magic Study and Fire Study (I think that's the right order...) are really really good. We get to see even more of Yelena and her skills (which I can't say anything about or I'll ruin thme for you), but I didn't like the 4th one, Storm Glass, vert much at all. Its also not about Yelena, and the story simply isn't as strong. MS and FS are still really good, though! Definetely read those next!
Oooh, thanks! I'm looking forward to reading the other two! *goes to library website to put them on hold*
Is Storm Glass part of the series? It's strange that it doesn't have a "Study" in it's title. Too bad that it's not as good . . . I'll probably end up reading it anyway because I like this author.

Thanks for the info!!!

**edit** I just looked up Storm Glass and apparently it's a new series . . . I'll give it a chance.
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

Una I already know about the thread, but I'm trying to avoid it while I read. Shannon (aka skylarblue) sent me the reading list on Facebook. She's been waiting for me to start the series for a while (she missed my crazy-hilarious BDB reactions, and wanted to get my equally crazy-hilarious reactions to DH, hehe).

Anyway, I'm almost done with Fantasy Lover. It's so good!
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

I'm reading a book called If I Stay, which is about a teenager whose parents are killed in a car crash, she's in intensive care hovering between life and death, and she doesn't know what happened to her little brother. It's already made me cry :cry:

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Well I have a few new books in the water:

First from the Marked series, Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
by P. C. Cast & Kristin Cast (Author) Pretty good series for vampyre lovers...

Another kind of Vampire theme book, The Psychic Vampire Codex: A Manual of Magick and Energy Work (Paperback)
by Michelle A Belanger...given to be by a freind, it's ok but a bit out there...

The last book I got into is te Sword and the Mind by Hiroaki Sato. This is the art of swrod fighting from one of the more prominate Sword fighting families in Japan...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I was definitely a funny (if not gross) take on one of my all time favorites.

I picked up a Katie MacAlister book and I was pretty surprised at how totally funny I think she is!! I'm going thru and reading her Dark Ones books.

Thank you Naureen!!