The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Post by pennybug84 »

I totally agee with Amanda Beth . I hated how the ending seemed squished & rushed. They only thing that made sense to me was that she had to make it the same length as others. Which it me is really stupid. It would have taken 50-100 pages to make it so that we had closure on those things. Look at some of the HP & TW books, they are longer & that's fine w/readers!! It is after all considered young adult & I think ya readers are capable of reading 500 page books.

I hated how we didn't get much info on exactly what happened to Gale. Why did he go to District 2 w/out saying goodbye to Katniss? I thought he loved her & wanted to be with her. Why would he leave so easily?

I was so happy Peeta survived!! But then I was heartbroken w/the hijacking. What that poor guy went through!! At least it sounds like he eventually came through it & realized how much he loved Katniss & that she wasn't a bad person.

I was shocked that Katniss killed Coin. I did not see that one coming. I didn't like her but still. At least Snow did die. But I hated how Katniss voted in favor of reinstating the Hunger Games. Why?! She knows what it's like & how it feels to be personally affected by it.

I HATED that Prim died!!! I knew some favorite characters would die. But I figured it would be Peeta or Gale. I also hated that Finnick died.

I'm probably going to reread it soon. Not sure when cause I'm reading some other books. But now knowing the ending I hope if I reread the whole trilogy I might like Mockingjay better. (After reading this I now know how some TW fans felt about BD. I know some fans really hated it & were disappointed in the ending. I love BD.)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

I am so disappointed. I wanted to savor the first time I read, so I reread HG and CF immediately before MJ. And I didn't rush reading it this time. I took the time to think about each chapter and paragraph, and surprisingly, I remember the details better than when I usually get caught up in a book. But that was part of why I was able to do this: I didn't get caught up in it. I never felt fully "in" the book. It didn't draw me in and make me keep reading.

I saw her killing Coin coming about halfway through the book.

I am sad that Prim died, but am okay with it in the story line.

I hate that Katniss voted to hold a final Hunger Games. I didn't see it as a lie, but that's an interesting idea. Maybe she didn't see another way, but I didn't see it foreshadowing anything.

I felt an overall sense of lack of closure, as others have said. I feel the end was rushed. From the time she killed Coin to the end, I felt it was a synopsis. I didn't even like the writing style at that point. I couldn't really imagine most of the book because so many details were missing. I couldn't imagine most of the "game/invasion" in the Capitol. I want to see the relationship with Peeta, I really like Gale, so want to see closure there, I needed something about Kat's trial. And I want to see how society starts to change, see a new government.

And through the whole book, I kept waiting to feel the tension I felt during the other 2. It's true I cried when Prim died, but I'm a sap. In the first 2, I cried off and on through most of the book.

About the only thing I really liked in the book was the parallel between District 13 and the Capitol. But since that was the only aspect I feel was really articulated, it feels like more of an agenda on the author's part to portray the bad government, and the parallels in today's society. I have enjoyed other books that have a futuristic setting that make some social commentary (ie: Fahrenheit 451, 1984, etc.) and that's what I liked most about Hunger Games the first time I read it. But there was a story behind the commentary. Now in Mockingjay, I feel like the story was glossed over to just focus on the commentary. And as a result, I can't swallow the plot, and felt a complete lack of characterization.

Sadly, on my part, I'll no longer be recommending the series. I know this sounds really harsh, and that a lot of people will disagree with me. Don't get me wrong, I still love Hunger Games, and it's still my favorite book I've read in the last 10+ years, but I can't in good conscience recommend it because of the lack of everything good (plot and characterization) in MJ.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Hey read my fanfic I wrote to finish off the book and let me know what you think. A lot of people from the THG forums I post on said that changing the ending of the book made them like it better. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6274173/1/A ... Mockingjay

pennybug84 I don't know how the business works, so I'm not sure why they limited her to 400 pages, especially with a successful first and second book. Someone pointed out the Scholastic is a much bigger company than Little Brown (SM's publisher) so they could have stricter rules.
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

Cry :( I had a super long post and my internet cut off.

Well in quick recap - my disapointments were the same as everyone else's
-The ending
-The lack of Katniss having to make an actual choice between Peeta and Gale
-Not knowing the romantic moment between Peeta and Katniss
-Not knowing Gale's outcome

Others:
-The deaths began lacking emotional pull and story importance as they continued b/c 1) we didn't see or know much 2) all happened in a close time period in almost the same manner.
-Finnick shouldn't have died - or atleast in a manner different from the characters that we didn't know at all. I wanted him (and the other victors) to be happy in spite of Snow and the capital.
-Prim's death I understood, but I wish she could've lived and the ending handled differently. But that is probably due to the compact quicky ending.
-I'm not a huge Katniss fan. I admire her bravery and strength in battle and the games as well as her caring for others - but she wavers to much it gets frustrating

I loved:
Finnick - Team Finnick!! I loved him, even when we thought he was a jerk in Catching Fire. And his story was so tragic, being abused like that by the capital. But he got Annie back, which I loved too :D
Bogg was another great character. So sad to see him go :cry:
Buttercup - random, but that cat entertains me haha.
I liked seeing the affects of war - Katniss suffers, Peeta is hijacked (sad, but what i imagine an enemy would do to a capitve), people die (although I don't agree with all the deaths), people change, etc.

However, I think Collins writes the Games and battles better than long talks, conversations, meetings, etc. I got bored a lot in Mockingjay because it was very little Games battle. Plus, I agree with whoever said they couldn't imagine the Capital as the games - I loved the concept but had trouble envisioning what Collins wrote. I don't absolutely hate Mockingjay, but it my least favorite of the 3. Still, I love this unique series with a great insight into culture and civiliation/society and I plan on re-reading it in full in the future :D
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

Finally!!!

I think we have the common disappointments for how it ends. I'm also expecting for a more detailed and thorough explanation of the ending. It's like the ending was enumerated with the way it goes. I wouldn't mind to read how Peeta and Katniss blossoms their relationship. From being friends, to realizing they love each other, their courtship, how they confess their love to their wedding. I thought the "Real or Not Real" line was also sweet but come on I want more...We don't even know the names of their kids!!!

- Apart from the ending I thought the whole book was sooooo good. I have always wondered how District 13 looks like ever since the ending of Catching Fire when they were first mentioned.

- Katniss' continuous defiance of District 13 rules dragged on. It could have been cut short.

- Cinna's last gift to Katniss, the Mockingjay suit. It makes me miss Cinna, I hope he didn't have to die in Catching Fire.

- From the first time I read about President Coin I was already suspicious, I know she's up to no good and only using Katniss for her own interest.

- Betee's weapons are awesome!!! Katniss' arrow that has different use and pwer. Finnick's trident that would come back to him with a simple click from the controls attached to his wrist. How cool is that.

- Finnick's lines where so funny. :lol: I would love to read him and Annie's love story though. He didn't have to die. And knowing what he went through after he won the Hunger Games. President Snow selling him to wealthy Capitol citizens that's just so sad. At least he had a son.

- I have always wondered why it is always mentioned that President Snow smells like blood. I used to have an out of this world guess as to why it is. Good thing it was explained in the book

- Peeta wanting to kill Katniss because of the tracker jacker venom was a shock. I just hate it when they didn't have the chance to develop their character and love story...

- Prim dying! I didn't see this coming. Katniss has gone through a lot of trouble to make sure she lives but she still dies in the end.

- Katniss killing President Coin rather than President snow. Another unexpected events. I have always hope that it was President Snow that Katniss will kill since he is the major antagonist in the story.

- Gale, well I'm not really into Gale. But I would like to know what happened to him in District 2. Did he get married or did he and Katniss at least become friends again after all those years...

Overall, the book was worth the wait. It's entertaining to read and now that its over I'm feeling a bit sad...
Last edited by dazzel21 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

dazzel21 wrote: I wouldn't mind to read how Peeta and Katniss blossoms their relationship. From being friends, to realizing they love each other, their courtship, how they confess their love to their wedding.
There was one exact moment I knew in MJ that Peeta and Katniss would end up together. After she kills Coin and tries to take the nightlock pill to kill herself, Peeta (post-hijacking) stops her. She yells "Let me go!" and he tells her "I can't." Because for as much as Katniss couldn't survive without him, Peeta wouldn't be able to survive without her either. That was my favorite quote of the book...and maybe even the series.
Katniss killing President Coin rather than President snow. Another unexpected events. I have always hope that it was President Snow that Katniss will kill since he is the major antagonist in the story.
I guessed she would eventually kill Coin after Boggs told her not go to back just before he died. Oddly enough, if you ask me the greater evil, I think it would be Coin. Snow knew who he was, and didn't try to hide it. As he told Katniss in the rose garden, everything he does makes sense--even the people he kills. Coin on the other hand was (from what we assume) just as bad, but she used the rebellion to mask her true intentions and then killed children and their own medics (including Prim). Snow would have died no matter what, but there was only one person who would ever kill Coin. Katniss knew that.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

dazzel21 wrote: - Cinna's last gift to Katniss, the Mockingjay suit. It makes me miss Cinna, I hope she didn't have to die in Catching Fire.
Um, Cinna's a boy. Actually, no, he's a MAN. :D
I missed him a lot in MJ. I'll get around to posting my thoughts about it eventually, but I liked it and didn't cry at all, but some of the deaths were a bit senseless and if she was going to have a blood bath, there should be more dead people dying.
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xhopeonaropex »

Alright here it goes - and I think my opinions are like the same everyone else said:

1. Despised the ending and how short it was. As much as I am Team Peeta, I hate that their relationship and her choice was summed up into half a page and an epilogue. I love how they ended up together but did not get any detail for the choice.

2. I CANNOT BELIEVE THE WAY GALE WAS LEFT IN THE END!!! This guy plays such a big role in this book but we get nothing, not even a satisfying ending or closure from him to be ok with him gone.

3. I gave alot of chances to Gale and said that when reading it I will forget Peeta and give Gale chances, but he was always pissing me off with his stubborness and anger. I hate that in people.

4. I CRIED ALOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT over Prim and Finnick. I honestly did not expect Prim's death but I had a feeling something would happen to Finnick. I still love him and I was happy that at least he got time with Annie and married her before he died.

5. I understand that Suzanne Collins had a limited amount of pages to write, but honestly ever since I went on Borders.com and saw that it will be 400 pages, I thought that there will be something missing and more could be done. I feel bad that the publishing company limited her to this. Darn you Scholastic!!!

6. I was always afraid of what mentality district 13 would be in since they got there. Since they took the players out of the game in CF, I knew they had alot of power and it scared me, cuz power can never be a good sign. Glad that Coin got killed though, she pissed me off.

7. Haymitch: it's a love hate relationship with him. I wish he can go to some futuristic AA meeting and get over his drunkenness and think with his brains a little. I hate how he treats Katniss and Peeta sometimes, but also loves how he also protects them eventually. I loved how he held Katniss in his arms while she was crying and I grew to love him more.

8. As much as I hated hearing about Peeta's hijacking, I think it was necessary to show that the Capitol was still ruining the players. And it made me feel so bad for him, and I kept hoping he would get better. I love Peeta and I'm glad he ended up with Katniss, but I would have loved to see more of his recovery, and his realization of how much he loves Katniss and loving her for who she really is.

9. Buttercup: stupid annoying cat!! I would have left him in 12!!

10. I really felt with Katniss in this book, the suffering she was going through. I understand why she was doing and thinking the way she did. Anyone who would have gone through what she did could have been far worse and ended up worse than Johanna, I know I wouldn't have been as strong as Katniss. It's very painful to be able to know that you need to live through the worst memories anyone could carry when you thought you won't be alive to relive them, nonetheless dream about them.

11. President Snow: I expected his death to be more dramatic. I expected to have Katniss break through his mansion and work her unfinished business skills with him. It would have been more satisfying. (Also I think I would be scared if I ever do smell blood and roses :? )

12. My heart was broken when Katniss visited 12. I felt like I knew the place too, and I cried throughout her visit (yes, I'm a sap)

13. I would still recommend the books because the first 2 make up for MJ. I have to admit I loved this more than Twilight and even though MJ reminded me of BD, I still think it was a bit better.

I still have alot to say but this is what I can think of now.

oh wait!!
DOWN WITH THE CAPITOL!!!!

Heehehehehehehe :lol:
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:Um, Cinna's a boy. Actually, no, he's a MAN
Edited my post. Sorry forgot to recheck after I posted...
xhopeonaropex wrote:Darn you Scholastic!!!
Haha my thoughts exactly!!!
Buttercup: stupid annoying cat!! I would have left him in 12!!
I think Katniss learns to accept her during the end when they keep hissing at each other after Prim's death. But you're right the cat's annoying I would have left him in District 12 too :lol: . But I think the cat is all that's left to Katniss in memory of Prim since she love that cat so much.
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

To me, the only failure in MJ was lack of space. If Collins would be able to use more then 400 pages, the book would have been totally amazing. I still liked the book, though a few things did fall short of my expectations. I know that this book had a total gloomy overtone to it, but that was to be expected. It was war. I can understand why Collins wrote the book how it is, though I wish she could of had more pages.

Many last books for series have their failures, due to the fact that the Author is given no choice but to try and finish using only one book. MJ did well, in my mind, and it was a heck of a lot better then BD. With BD I was so disappointed that I don't think I have read it all the way through a second time. I hated how there was this huge build up for a fight, but then none ever happened. It was a complete let down.
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey