The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby debussygirl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:04 pm

LadyDi wrote:I just discovered this thread (hurray!) and have to reveal ...
I can't watch the Olympics because it reminds me too much of the Hunger Games!
Seriously, look at the similarities:
- teams from regions marching into the stadium
- "human interest" stories to make the viewers care about particular athletes (they even mentioned the married pairs skaters winning the short program on Valentines Day!)
- death at the games (okay, that was an accident, but it was still filmed)
- outrageous costumes
- pageantry
- riots (downtown Vancouver had protesters and police facing off)
I think I'll have to blog about this! Suzanne Collins, look how darn powerful your books are!

Oh, goodness, I was watching the pairs figure skating and looking at the costumes thinking, "That is something a really bad designer would come up with for The Hunger Games." :lol:
Sorry if you like them, the girls were okay, but when the guys were wearing sparkly sequined outfits...

Derek-I don't agree with it, but I thought it would be interesting for you guys to read. It made me think deeper about what might happen in the next one, so that's why I'm glad I read it.
Image
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
User avatar
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies
 
Posts: 6978
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: preparing for next winter

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby spookybell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 pm

LadiDI!!!!!

You only discovered this thread now! I Luv you!

I have not been watching the olympics at all. I want to watch Apollo Ono... I am a little irritated that I can't watch the Olympics as it is hapening because of some bidding wars with the Canadian Station. I am 3 hours from Vancouver and I know a lot of people going to see the games because it is Mid-Winter break for a lot of students. I am going to make a point to watch it and see if it reminds me of the Hunger Games.

LadiDi (and anyone else really) what age would you say these books are for. I think the content is very heavy and I love the books. As a 12 year old I could read these without being freaked out. I want to know who it is appropriate to share these stories with. I know adults that I could never recomend these books to. I love them though.
Image
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
User avatar
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: gnawing on Edward's earlobe

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby DudeRocksTheTwilight » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Jenna ~ It's very intense. I've never thought of it that way. It's plausible, just it depends on the style of writing Suzanne Collins does, as I've never read any of her other work.
Image
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
User avatar
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
 
Posts: 3825
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby LadyDi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Excellent question, my beloved spookybell
I know Scholastic carries this book in their flyer (remember those flyers you used to get at school for "book of the month" orders?) and has a big "mature content" sticker on it. I would say it's okay for grades 7 and up (12 year olds and up) but that some people wouldn't be able to handle the shocking scenes of brutality regardless of age. Important themes and issues, but some readers may be upset by the callous disregard for human life that the totalitarian regime has for the contestants.
It's still an awesome series, though!
Image
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby dandyvampgirl_13 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:47 pm

debussygirl wrote:but when the guys were wearing sparkly sequined outfits...


I happened to like that Russian skater, Smirnov's, outfit just mighty fineeeeeee. All tight and lacy and... heehee. :oops:

I wouldn't let anyone who can't read Twilight read HG. However, HG is much deeper and more meaningful (in my opinion) than Twi. Its just... more weighty and realistic. But, if you can read that, or maybe up to... the third or furth Harry Potter, then you can read the HGs.
User avatar
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Land of Snow and Mormons

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby debussygirl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 am

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:
debussygirl wrote:but when the guys were wearing sparkly sequined outfits...


I happened to like that Russian skater, Smirnov's, outfit just mighty fineeeeeee. All tight and lacy and... heehee. :oops: .

:lol: It's definitely not the bodies I'm complaining about. ;)

Ohmygoodness, have you guys heard this Rue's Lullaby?
It's so sad I really did almost cry when I first heard it. I can just imagine Katniss singing it and Rue peacefully slipping away into a happier place. :cry:
Image
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
User avatar
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies
 
Posts: 6978
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: preparing for next winter

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby spookybell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 pm

I'd let any child who could and wanted to read Harry Potter, read them all.
I'd let 10 and up read Twilight.
Hunger Games if different because of the violence.

It was in my scholastic hand out and I recomended it for older mature readers, but I found it hard to describe for parents.

I am a firm believer in reading and a wise teacher once influenced my thoughts. I now think "If a child wants to read something, let them read it." Be available to answer questions if a child has them. If my parents limited what I was aloud to read, I would not be a lover of books. I would have been obstinant and refused to read and enjoy it.
Image
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
User avatar
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: gnawing on Edward's earlobe

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby DudeRocksTheTwilight » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 am

^^My parents aren't comfortable with me reading the Mortal Instruments series. Pathetic, I know.
And the reason being is because it says "sexy" on the cover.
Honestly, my parents baby me way too much.
I wanted to point out that it says sexy in Twilight as well ((and point out that one gruesome chapter in Breaking Dawn) but I knew if I did that would be the end of Twilight.
Image
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
User avatar
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
 
Posts: 3825
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby spookybell » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:50 am

DudeRocksTheTwilight wrote:^^My parents aren't comfortable with me reading the Mortal Instruments series. Pathetic, I know.
And the reason being is because it says "sexy" on the cover.
Honestly, my parents baby me way too much.
I wanted to point out that it says sexy in Twilight as well ((and point out that one gruesome chapter in Breaking Dawn) but I knew if I did that would be the end of Twilight.


I'd like to tell your parents DudeRocksTheTwilight that there will many uncomfortable things in their life as you get older. For whatever reason and you will probably read some sexy books in your life.

That is rough, because your parents should edit or be somewhat knowledgeable of what you are doing and setting limits. That is there job. I just wouldn't be that way with a child, teen, etc... of mine. Bummer :(
Image
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
User avatar
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: gnawing on Edward's earlobe

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Postby blasphemous_contessa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

I just reread Catching Fire for the 40th time last night, and noticed something. I think Kat is more in love with Peeta than Gale. But mostly what I noticed is that her thoughts always start off self-centered. Her first reaction to any news is "how does this affect me" and by extension her family. But by the time she's made it to the point of taking action and doing soemthing, she's somehow ended up looking out for someone else.

discuss?
Image
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
User avatar
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
 
Posts: 4742
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

PreviousNext

Return to Flight to Phoenix

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron