The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Post by SethisMine »

Here's the link to Hot Topic's merchandise:
http://search.hottopic.com/search?bmFor ... 56ed757891

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xhopeonaropex »

SethIsMine Thanks :D

Wow that broach is pretty expensice for NECA quality. Then again that brand is always overpriced. I'm still happy with my Keychain and I'm flaunting it in everyone's face who buys Mockingjay at the store. BTW it's 50% off at Borders with Coupon if you're a member. All members received the coupon so you save a ton load than having to order it and wait so u can save 3%. My boss kinda laughed at me cuz I ordered it but I told him I didn't know we were gonna get a coupon, and I already read it when I checked it out from work (we get to check out up to 2 books for 2 weeks like a library from the store :D ) Then her asked why did I buy it when I already read it??? He's not a reader so he doesn't understand >_> lol!!! Even if I've read a book, if I like it I buy it. And even if I don't reread it I still wanna have a copy of it, to build up my library for when I have my house in the future :D I've been recommending Hunger Games for so many people and they're falling in love with it.

OH!!! And tomorrow I'm hosting the Mockingjay event at my store!!! So excited!!!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xD
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

So I finished Mockingjay today. I was going to post until I read that you guys wanna wait until Sept 1 for a disussion. I'll just say I'm still thinking about it & haven't quite decided how I feel about it.
I definitely will have to check out some of the merchandise. When I was in my local Hot Topic about 2 or 3 weeks ago now they only had a couple of shirts. And I want one!!! But darn $$$. I used what $$$ I could to buy my own copy of the book.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

I finally finished Mockingjay after buying it Saturday! Too many school interruptions for me to pick it up earlier unfortunately. Can't wait for Sept. 1st where we can all start to share! :D
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

1 more day and we're free to discuss Mockinjay on this thread. I'm so excited to read what everyone thought of the final book...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Feel free to discuss Mockingjay (as well as any of the 3 books of course)...
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Post by Amanda Beth »

AHHHH okay SO I've been talking about the book for a week on two other forums but here we go:

Disappointment would be first off. After talking to other people, we've reasoned that Collins was limited to 400 pages (CF and MJ were both exactly 400 pages) and that's why they end was so squished, but it literally broke my heart that we got no REAL closure on ANYTHING. I think there could have been other areas of the book which could have been edited down to leave time for something. I NEEDED a REAL Peeta/Katniss reunion. I wanted to SEE how they got back together. I want to know what happened to Gale besides working in District 2. I want to know how Paylor did as president and if Panem really changed. I wrote a one-shot ending it my way and put it up on ff.net because I refused to think of it the way the book really ended (or lack thereof).

There was a lot I didn't like at first but liked it later. I hated the hijacking but then realized that was really when Katniss knew she loved Peeta, and Katniss got knocked off the pedestal Peeta had her on for 12 years and he had to learn to love who she REALLY is. I didn't like Prim dying, but afterwards I was okay with it. I LOVED the Snow/Coin ending.

I'm sure there will be more after other people start posting.
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

I got very upset about Prim dying, but I realized it was coming from the very beginning, why go through all the bother of pointing out how important she is to Katniss if something bad's not going to happen to her?

I was also very impressed with the obvious parallel between District 13 and the Capitol, it's pretty clear that Katniss was being used, and that Coin was just Snow without the reach and power.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

YAY!!! Well, I don't have much time to chat now about the book... and I want to look through my new copy that I just got yesterday. Though, I will say, that overall, I liked the book, though I wanted MORE like everyone else. The whole book put me on an emotional roller-coaster, and I could feel Katniss's frustrations about everything.

Team Peeta! YAY!!! I love Peeta, but the whole hijacking thing almost broke my heart! I was glad that he overcame it though. And I thought the whole, Real or Not Real thing somewhat sweet, especially at the end. I even made a banner for it. :D

I was kind of disappointed about how the end was with Gale though... there wasn't much closure, and the whole relationship was rather abrupt... Though, throughout the book, I felt myself straying further and further away from Gale... His need for revenge never appealed to me, though, I can understand that he was justified in his wishes.

I cried when Finnick and Prim died!!! I loved both of them, and I didn't even know how much I loved Finnick till he was gone... :cry:
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Amanda Beth wrote:AHHHH okay SO I've been talking about the book for a week on two other forums but here we go:

Disappointment would be first off. After talking to other people, we've reasoned that Collins was limited to 400 pages (CF and MJ were both exactly 400 pages) and that's why they end was so squished, but it literally broke my heart that we got no REAL closure on ANYTHING. I think there could have been other areas of the book which could have been edited down to leave time for something. I NEEDED a REAL Peeta/Katniss reunion. I wanted to SEE how they got back together. I want to know what happened to Gale besides working in District 2. I want to know how Paylor did as president and if Panem really changed. I wrote a one-shot ending it my way and put it up on ff.net because I refused to think of it the way the book really ended (or lack thereof).
Thanks for starting us off on the discussion Amanda Beth.
I wasn't disappointed because the ways things ended felt realistic to me. Someone you consider "the one" does something that makes you see them in a different light, but you never really have a brawl about it - been there, done that. Someone close to you moves away and you only hear snippets about what they're up to - been there, done that. I agree that Peeta's re-entry into Kat's life feels sudden, but I justified that to myself with Kat's state of mind (suicidal and despondent) and that there could be no romantic happy-ever-after for two people that had survived so much horror.
I was surprised that the city was rigged to be just like a game field; it felt a bit too much like it was necessary to have another "Survivor episode" to match it with the previous two books.
There were so many things that had me thinking. If I was in Kat's position, would I have been able to lie and place my vote in favour of reinstating the Hunger Games so that I could be in a position to kill the leader of District 13? Would I continue to allow myself to be used as a media image, even if it was for the other side or for good aims? What sort of "would I" thoughts did you folks have after reading it?
More thoughts later?
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!