The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Post by Amanda Beth »

Aww thanks! I love my Twilight fanfics but I think that one is my favorite even though it's only a one shot. And the reviews meant so much to me because I knew a lot of people were disappointed. I wish I could write an actual THG fanfic but I don't think I could bring myself to have anything negative happen to Katniss or Peeta -- they've had enough happen to them in two years to last a lifetime. Unlike the end of Breaking Dawn, I feel like Katniss's story has been told and finished.
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

StellaBlueBella wrote:

But AmandaBeth honestly hearing bits and pieces about your HG fics is the main reason I want to read those books too. It would be just plain silly to read the fanfic's first.... right? What site do you post those on?
I was thinking the same thing. AB has talked about THG before and I was like "What is that?" So, a big thanks to you AB for getting me excited about another series.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

VolturiGirl,

I would hightly recommend this series, it was a terrific read that I started only a few weeks ago, and I have now read the series twice. It’s just an excellent story, very well written, highly imaginative with great characters and great scenes. The movie should be fantastic, and I am very glad they hired an accomplished actress, which was far more important that trying to find someone that completely looked the part. The only drawback to Jennifer is that she is about 4 to 6 inches taller than most people envisioned Katniss to be, but that is no biggee, you can’t always get everything perfect. When you are talking about potentially hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, having a great actress is much more important than finding someone who looks exactly like the part but comes up short in the portrayal and potentially destroys the two sequels.

As far as some of the comments here about the ending, I won’t give much away except to say that anyone thinking about reading the books should not be discouraged when some people say that they were disappointed. In some ways the ending is exactly perfect, it is just…stark, which was an artistic decision on SC’s part. Amanda Beth’s alternate ending does not change anything, it just fleshes some more of the details out and provides a little more satisfaction, a bit of a softer landing than SC ultimately chose.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I have to disagree. There was something odd about how SC ended it when she's normally so descriptive. I wonder if she was limited to pages or there was some reason in the editing process. The last chapter did not feel the same as the rest of the series.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Hello AB, I can see where a lot of the criticism comes from. I think we are talking about the last few pages? I’m sure this has been discussed to death over at Mockingjay.net, so I likely don’t have anything to add that is new. Things do get truncated at the end when we finally get to the romantic resolution. From my view, Katniss never seems comfortable talking about those things, though, so I didn’t expect to see a whole lot. I certainly expected more, though, which you provided in your own ending.

Maybe SC made a mistake there, but I would be willing to bet that she had considered extending and rounding out the end a bit more like you had. The bare details that SC provides was sufficient, but everything at the end is so abrupt that it obviously affected the entire tone of the ending. I really did want more (I still do!), but it seems to me that SC ultimately decided that she did not want to downplay the emotional damage that Katniss incurred during the war, and that drawing the end out and showing us more (the healing period) would soften the impact of that message.

Maybe that is where the different feel of the ending (as opposed to the rest of the story) comes from. Maybe Katniss wanted to tell us a bit more, but then SC decided to step in and give us her own message. And the way SC did was perfect for the message she wanted to give us, even though I have a disagreement with her emphasis. I see Katniss as heroine, survivor, and a victim of war. Ultimately, she is a survivor and I see her struggles and endurance as heroic, and I want her ending to be that way. SC gives that, in part, but the sheer starkness and abrupt nature of the story’s end creates a tone that emphasizes her victimhood, and that was the one thing I didn’t like, even though I know where SC was coming from. OK, I get it, but I still didn’t like it.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Elizabeth Banks confirmed to play Effie. I think she'll do a great job.

Current talks in for John C. Reilly to play Haymitch, the last critical role needed to fill out. Great actor, although I had in mind someone else.

President Snow = Bill Nighy??? That is who I picture in my mind.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Please no throwing tomatoes, :) . I heard so much talk about this series that I picked up the first book at my library and really enjoyed it so much that I thought well it has to be good so I might as well buy the trilogy. I am now in the middle of book 3 and I kinda of lost interest. I think it was a very dark book with a lot of violence. That part didn't bother me because of the story line but the love triangle that I guess was suppose to be wasn't. I felt really the book didn't need it. I like the 3 main characters. Was very intrigued about Gale and wish he was more in the book but from seeing a spoiler by accident I know she ends up with Peeta. I felt throughout what I have read so far that she talked herself into loving Peeta in the end because she felt like she owed it to him.

At this point I think I should have borrowed them from the library vs. buying them. While I think they were a great read it's only a 1x read for me.
Banner by TammyAZ
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

corona wrote: President Snow = Bill Nighy??? That is who I picture in my mind.
That's an interesting actor. I didn't picture him at all. I like his work though so he could work out.
Is that part filled already?

Edwards Ragazza wrote:Please no throwing tomatoes, :) . I heard so much talk about this series that I picked up the first book at my library and really enjoyed it so much that I thought well it has to be good so I might as well buy the trilogy. I am now in the middle of book 3 and I kinda of lost interest. I think it was a very dark book with a lot of violence. That part didn't bother me because of the story line but the love triangle that I guess was suppose to be wasn't. I felt really the book didn't need it. I like the 3 main characters. Was very intrigued about Gale and wish he was more in the book but from seeing a spoiler by accident I know she ends up with Peeta. I felt throughout what I have read so far that she talked herself into loving Peeta in the end because she felt like she owed it to him.

At this point I think I should have borrowed them from the library vs. buying them. While I think they were a great read it's only a 1x read for me.
No tomatoes thrown from this direction. Lol. I felt like she only made it with Peeta because she felt like she was forever in his debt too. I don't think it would have ever worked with Gale though because she would have always harbored ill feelings toward him because of Prim. Plus he had "Friend Zone" written all over his face. I don't think the book needed the love triangle either. Gale shouldn't have been put in that position.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

My reaction to the love triangle was that it seemed both Gale and Peeta were often unwanted distractions since Katniss is constantly in the middle of life and death situations. Her and her family's survival was all that she ever wanted to accomplish, and she never allowed herself to think of romance since she had determined never to marry and bear children that might be subjected to the games.

I think too that Gale had "friend zone" written all over him, and that her feelings towards him were mainly based on loyalty earned over the years, something that is highly prized by Katniss. Regardless, Gale may have ended up actually being "the one" if the games had not intruded, but we'll never know.

Peeta is someone that she trys to resist, who eventually does earn her loyalty, and is the only one of the two that genuinely stirs a desire within her.

I think, though, that the stark ending is not going to play over very well in theaters. Fans of the books do not expect something like the Isle Esme scenes in BD, but I think they will expect some more passion coming from Katniss at the end. Otherwise, then it is going to feel very much like Peeta simply won the Survivor:Katniss Edition game and that Katniss ends up choosing Peeta by default (oh, what the heck, might as well). The movie ending needs a little more emphasis on romance and heroic survivor elements, and less emphasis on victimhood (my opinion only).
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

Hey, guys. I hear that Woody Harrelson is going to play Haymitch. I, think it's a good choice. I love woody.

Anymore comments from anyone on the confirmed cast so far?
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse