President Barack Obama

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

President Barack Obama

Post by bac »

This is a thread to discuss all things about The 44th President of the United States of America, President Barack Obama.

Please remember all of the site posting regulations and that this man is the President. No matter your opinions, please discuss this topic with respect for each other and for The President.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Re: President Barack Obama

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

Woo, first post! First off, thank you bac for creating this thread.
I absolutely love Obama, and the work he has done.
People can criticize him, but most reasons are racist ones.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Hi, everyone. I'd like to first say that my post does have to do with President Obama (even though as I'm explaining it it may not seem that way) and it's REALLY IMPORTANT so please do not just skip over it!! Hundreds of thousands of lives depend on this.

So today at school we had Invisible Children come and give us information on their organization. If you don't know what Invisible Children is, it's a non-profit organization that is attempted to rescue child soldiers from an extreme rebel group called the LRA in Northern Uganda. They are also trying to arrest Joseph Kony, the rebel leader responsible for the 23 years of abductions of children and hundreds of thousands of deaths. This man (if he can even be called that) massacres villages, rips children away from the family, sexually abuses young girls, makes children into soldiers, forces them to kill others, and is the terror of 5 different African countries.

Invisible Children wants President Obama to make a public announcement by Christmas this year about what if going on. A Bill in Congress is trying to be passed so that America will step in and stop this horrible occurrence and finally bring peace to what has been the longest war in African history. But, the White House has said that while this is a terrible thing happening and they don't support it, there is too much apathy in the American public to do anything. So PLEASE sign this petition to ask President Obama to step in and make Joseph Kony responsible for all the blood he has shed. You can sign up here:
http://www.invisiblechildren.com/obama

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help these children!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

I remember the Invisible Children thing. I'll sign the petition.

As for criticisms against Obama. People have hailed him as the redeemer of American racism because he's half black. And people have claimed that his political history shows that he wont do much to make the nation a better place. Personalyl I agree with the latter. Oh I know, because my skin is darker than his I'm supposed to love him and believe he'll make the world a better place. But honestly he's just another politician. Sure he'll do some great stuff, but so did Bush and so did Clintin and so will the next president, and yes he will probably make a lot of horrible mistakes, but so has every president before him. Including the much lauded Lincoln.

People, he's a politician. A politician with his own agenda who lies and makes false promises to push forward his own agenda just like anyone else. If he's such great proof that we're not as racist as we used to be then why does everyone make such a big deal that's he's black?

Anyone who actually wishes to be in a place of power probably shouldn't be allowed to hold said power.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

blasphemous_contessa wrote:I remember the Invisible Children thing. I'll sign the petition.

As for criticisms against Obama. People have hailed him as the redeemer of American racism because he's half black. And people have claimed that his political history shows that he wont do much to make the nation a better place. Personalyl I agree with the latter. Oh I know, because my skin is darker than his I'm supposed to love him and believe he'll make the world a better place. But honestly he's just another politician. Sure he'll do some great stuff, but so did Bush and so did Clintin and so will the next president, and yes he will probably make a lot of horrible mistakes, but so has every president before him. Including the much lauded Lincoln.

People, he's a politician. A politician with his own agenda who lies and makes false promises to push forward his own agenda just like anyone else. If he's such great proof that we're not as racist as we used to be then why does everyone make such a big deal that's he's black?

Anyone who actually wishes to be in a place of power probably shouldn't be allowed to hold said power.
Thank you!
And I completely agree. He's not God, but he also isn't the anti-Christ like some people say. I wish his race was just left completely out of it; but I think that most people that disagree with him do so on his policies and not his race. There are still racists out there, but I don't think it's as bad as people say it is. Because now if anyone disagrees with Obama it's like they get the finger pointed at them for being racist, which is really wrong. I don't want to have to agree with whatever he says just because I'd be afraid of being accused of being a racist.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
roo-roo91
Taking Nature Lessons from Jacob

Post by roo-roo91 »

debussygirl wrote:
blasphemous_contessa wrote:I remember the Invisible Children thing. I'll sign the petition.

Thank you!
And I completely agree. He's not God, but he also isn't the anti-Christ like some people say. I wish his race was just left completely out of it; but I think that most people that disagree with him do so on his policies and not his race. There are still racists out there, but I don't think it's as bad as people say it is. Because now if anyone disagrees with Obama it's like they get the finger pointed at them for being racist, which is really wrong. I don't want to have to agree with whatever he says just because I'd be afraid of being accused of being a racist.
EXACTLY!
My ignorant as crap grandparents are only against him because he's half black. I'm only against him because of his freaking policies. Like abortion amongst other things such the gay rights thing I'm fine with. I am neither a racist and
or a homophobe. so yeah I'm not against any of those things. just the abortion. so yea don't call me a racist. i actually prefer other people that aren't American since most Americans nowadays are ignorant and blind to most things. Of course this is just my opinion.
Last edited by roo-roo91 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamzee is best troll; Dr.Facilier is best Disney villain, Dimitri is best Cooper gang member. They all are associated with purple. That is awesome.
blasphemous_contessa
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

@Chels
I'm not trying to be rude or anything so please don't freak out, but your post sounded really crass and uneducated. Would you mind editing?

@everyone
A discussion topic, Considering the fact that most people see Obama as The First Black President before anything else, do you think he would have won the election if he'd been white or a different minority? Please support your answer.I feel all English teacher-y already
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
roo-roo91

Post by roo-roo91 »

@ sami well what pats sounded uneducated?
and i think if he was mexican he might have one. but if he had been white i dunno. he may have won he may not have.
doubtful though.
Gamzee is best troll; Dr.Facilier is best Disney villain, Dimitri is best Cooper gang member. They all are associated with purple. That is awesome.
blasphemous_contessa

Its more the typos and sentence structure.

But I also figure that since this is a "serious" thread as opposed to the "casual" teen thread, maybe we should be more careful about grammar and such. You know, since this is a more mature subject.

Considering the fact that most people see Obama as The First Black President before anything else, do you think he would have won the election if he'd been white or a different minority? Please support your answer.
If Hillary weren't running he most definately would have won just because the nation as a whole seems to be sick of republicanism. However if it were a choice between a white male democrat and a white female democrat America would have chosen the woman, just because at the time we as a people were in such an extreme mindset of change that we'd take th emost extreme action that could still be considered reasonable. Lucky for us Obama was it, cuz Hilary is even crazier. Not that I would have voted for a republican either. To be honest I DID vote for Obama, as the lesser of three evils.
roo-roo91

Post by roo-roo91 »

Hm. That makes sense, well I wasn't 18 at the time so I couldn't vote. Of course I don't really think I would have even voted. I just can't find myself for voting for either of them I really didn't like either Mccain Or Obama.
They both annoyed me. I really didn't come to terms with all of their policies. Such as the ones I mentioned in my first post.
As well as the war policies. To tell the truth I really don't want to live here anymore.