Book Addicts Anonymous

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Book Addicts Anonymous

Post by fanMNM »

I could also recommend just a few, off the top of my head:

Wings by Annalynne Pike

The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead

Wake (and I can't believe it but the author's name is evading me right this second)

Although they are more for adult readers, I really enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series...I also really recommend Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series and Sherilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters series

Thank you Naureen!!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

dragon620026 wrote:Hi everyone! I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out. I am currently trying to find a book as a present for my boyfriend but I have no idea what I could get him. The type of books he reads for fun are:

War and Peace
Prodigal Mage
Angels and Demons
The Lost Symbol
The Alchemist
A few titles that come randomy to my mind and are "related" to the ones your bf likes to read are:

The rule of Four by Caldwell and Thomason
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
The name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (this is a difficult one, with some pages in latin..at least in the Italian version)
Foucault's Pendulum (another difficult one but lighter than the other)
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud by Julia Navarro

These are all labelled as historical fiction...that is are more fiction than real history. If he likes long and arty ones I would suggest also Peter Ackroyd's books, such as The Lambs of London or Thames - a "biography" of the river Thames. I must say, though, that reading Ackroyd without a solid background on Renaissance England and European Culture can be boring as hell!
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

fanMNM wrote: Wake (and I can't believe it but the author's name is evading me right this second)
If it's the same book that you're thinking of, the author's name is Lisa McMann. The series is: Wake, Fade, and Gone. Gone comes out Feb 2010. Great series!
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
dragon620026
Settled in Forks

Post by dragon620026 »

dimber wrote:
dragon620026 wrote:Hi everyone! I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out. I am currently trying to find a book as a present for my boyfriend but I have no idea what I could get him. The type of books he reads for fun are:

War and Peace
Prodigal Mage
Angels and Demons
The Lost Symbol
The Alchemist
A few titles that come randomy to my mind and are "related" to the ones your bf likes to read are:

The rule of Four by Caldwell and Thomason
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
The name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (this is a difficult one, with some pages in latin..at least in the Italian version)
Foucault's Pendulum (another difficult one but lighter than the other)
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud by Julia Navarro

These are all labelled as historical fiction...that is are more fiction than real history. If he likes long and arty ones I would suggest also Peter Ackroyd's books, such as The Lambs of London or Thames - a "biography" of the river Thames. I must say, though, that reading Ackroyd without a solid background on Renaissance England and European Culture can be boring as hell!

Thank you so very much ^^ This really helps me more that you will ever know.

Many Thanks ^^
.:Saga the Twilight Pony:.
Currently On Ebay 11/07/09 - 11/14/09
Search at eBay for "Saga the Twilight Pony" or "150387073926"
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

dragon620026 wrote: Thank you so very much ^^ This really helps me more that you will ever know.

Many Thanks ^^
You're welcome...I like the same kind of books. Let me know if he likes any of these and I can give you more titles 8-)

paula_bnsnt
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Sparkling on sunshine, oooh oooh, and don't it feel good!

Post by paula_bnsnt »

I'm probably a contained book addict. Whenever I have spare time I love going to a bookstore. I don't buy them though... I make a mental list of the one's I'd love to read for whenever I have the time (it's a very very very long list).
I love reading, I can't say I like a specific genre. Romantic novels usually do the trick though.
In my country the official language is Spanish, so every book is translated and I hate translations. So when it is possible I try to get the books in their original language like the Harry Potter and Twilight sagas, The Host, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Federico Moccia, etc. It is definately hard to find them, there are just two bookstores in my city that sell them (God bless them!).
My favorite author is Isabel Allende. My favorite book by her is "The house of the spirits" (they made it into a movie. Great cast, terrible adaptation to the screen). I love her stories, she makes magic normal.
I also recommend Federico Moccia. He's an italian author, but I think his books have been translated. He's the best author when it comes to Romantic stories. I mean it when I say Edward & Bella are nothing compared to Step & Baby or Alex & Nikki... and I'm a Twilight fan! I haven't read every one of his books because I can't find them in italian anywhere! I read "Tre metri sopra il cielo" (Three meters above the sky) and "Scusa ma ti chiamo amore" (Sorry, but I call you love) thanks to a friend who travelled to Italy and was kind enough to get them for me! They have sequels but I haven't read them yet.

I haven't read any of the books you mentioned lately so I can't comment much =P
Have you read anything from Jorge Luis Borges or Gabriel García Márquez?
Hit me like a ray of sun
Burning through my darkest night
You're the only one that I want
Think I'm addicted to your light

Team Volturi - Beatrix
DarkMuse
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion
Location: In 'The Corner' of Rob's Halfway House mumbling about cookies and unicorns.

Post by DarkMuse »

♥midnight_sun♥ wrote:Yesterday I asked for some money to get the Special Collector's Edition of New Moon that just came out - its really cool with all the extra stuff (plus its pre-autographed). And then I asked for money again today so I could go get The Host since I for some reason never bought it...I am addicted to Twifics so I have less time to read actual books.
Hi Ash! *waves* Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had no idea there was a Special Collector's Edition! Now I know what I'm gonna buy as soon as I get some money. And I bought The Host from the book club I'm in, but haven't read it yet. Totally lagging. And of course, I am also addicted to Twifics. I totes need to catch up with CW&IA. Got like 12 chapters to go still. :oops: Someday I'm gonna print my faves and have them bound so that I can have them in real book form. Reading on the computer makes my eyes/head hurt. :| That's another reason I love books so much! Ha.
Rob's Halfway House Resident » Cullenist » HHBS Member » Monkey Junkie
╰☆╮ Nikki is the TomStu to my Rob ╰☆╮
♥midnight_sun♥
Riding in the Rabbit

Post by ♥midnight_sun♥ »

Kris~Yeah, I didn't know there was a Special Collector's Edition either until I saw it. I love it. :D I have yet to read The Host too, but I heard that the first part of it is a bit boring so hopefully I can get through it all. I am waiting until after I see New Moon to read it though so the freshest books in my mind are Twilight and New Moon since I an re-reading them again. :) As for the Twifics, I have about half of WA printed at home, but I will most likely just do what Caryn is doing and have it professionally done as it will cost less. 30 chapters of that straight from LJ took almost an entire cartridge of ink. :shock: Not good. As for CW & IA I have from chapter 27 onward to read. I swear there are about 50 fics and 8 book on my "To Read" list plus I am already getting updates for about 20 fics. :? I really have no time for anything other than reading it seems. :lol: But that is the joy of being home schooled - I have basically all the time in the world to read since I don't go to school for 8 hours 5 days a week and my job is only during the summer/early fall/late spring months on the weekends.

And can anyone recommend which Jane Austen or Charolotte (sp?)/Emily Bronte book is the best? I've been reading too much Shakespeare lately for this other project its making my head hurt. :? Which means...I just need something simple that I won't get too attached to to read and classics usually fit that bill for me.
Fan Fiction Addict•The Halfway House and Brute Squad Member•Banner/Signature OCD
Team Edward•JazzGirl's Official MiniMe•Cullenist•Keeper of the Names•Hatter Obsessed
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

paula_bnsnt wrote: My favorite author is Isabel Allende. My favorite book by her is "The house of the spirits" (they made it into a movie. Great cast, terrible adaptation to the screen). I love her stories, she makes magic normal.
I also recommend Federico Moccia. He's an italian author, but I think his books have been translated. He's the best author when it comes to Romantic stories. I mean it when I say Edward & Bella are nothing compared to Step & Baby or Alex & Nikki... and I'm a Twilight fan! I haven't read every one of his books because I can't find them in italian anywhere! I read "Tre metri sopra il cielo" (Three meters above the sky) and "Scusa ma ti chiamo amore" (Sorry, but I call you love) thanks to a friend who travelled to Italy and was kind enough to get them for me! They have sequels but I haven't read them yet.

Have you read anything from Jorge Luis Borges or Gabriel García Márquez?
Allende and Garcia Marquez are two of my favourite authors but I've never dared read them in the original language, though I can read Spanish pretty well. I might give it a try next year ecause I have Marquez's opera omnia in pdf ;)
Regarding Moccia, I have to disagree...his writing really sucks: too simple, no metaphors, too may dialogues. And the stories are so "negative". They're targeted for a YA audience but all the delicate topics like pre-marriage sex, violent teenagers and school life are treated superficially and with no understanding of the teen world. Moccia's only purpose is to sell and gain money. In his last book he wrote about a 12-year-old girl who shares with her schoolmate the first experience with sex. For any educator or teacher as I am, that's unacceptable: you can't simply talk about it in a book you know a lot of teens and children will read it...that's why I hate Moccia and his books: his writing, compared to the average Italian standards, simply sucks and the messages ibehind his books are ethically questionable.

dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

♥midnight_sun♥ wrote: And can anyone recommend which Jane Austen or Charolotte (sp?)/Emily Bronte book is the best? I've been reading too much Shakespeare lately for this other project its making my head hurt. :? Which means...I just need something simple that I won't get too attached to to read and classics usually fit that bill for me.
I would suggest "Pride and Prejudice" and "Wuthering Heights" first of all...two wonderful novels though I cannot assure you won't get attached ;)