Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

I love Boy Meets World! I used to have such a crush on Rider Strong! One of my favorite episodes was the one where they were all actors with fake names that sounded like their real names (Ben Savage was Ben Sandwich). It was really funny. And how weird is it that the older brother (Eric?) became the voice of Ron Stoppable?

Oh, and the racism episode was really good, too. That show had the perfect mix of really funny things and really serious stuff. I miss it.
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

Misty don't leave us!!!!!!!!! :heartbroke: It doesn't matter that you are in your 30's you are still in your 20's according to the rest of us!! HEHE

I haven't been around much lately either. I was offered a REAL position at the school I have been working in. So I am very, very, very happy! I officially start tomorrow so I have been busy making lesson plans and getting everything together. My job title is Intervention teacher. So I will be going into the 1st and 2nd grade classrooms and working with those students who need intensive intervention in reading and writing.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

That is SOOO awesome Lily and it seems like a very rewarding position! I'm so happy for you!! :D
therealmrswhitlock

Congrats Lily!

I wish the schools around here had something like that. When I was a kid, we had Phonics classes and Reading classes and they've been removed because when the budget gets cut, schools think the only important academics are math and history so they cut everything else to be able to buy the football team new uniforms. My old school doesn't even have "home ec." classes now (cooking, sewing, family planning, etc.). So now that they have kids in Junior High who can't read, they have to do something about it. But they haven't instituted ANYTHING at the first or second grade levels where it could prevent the problem.....they started "Second Chance" for 6th-8th graders to get extra help and basically re-learn reading comprehension. And they're only doing that because they got flack for a humongous drop in standardized test scores. I have issues with those as well, but that's a different rant.

All for now!

Jen
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

YAY for Lily!!!!
That sounds like really fun and challenging job! I think you'll be perfect for it!

Our schoolsystem don't catch all those who have issues learning to read, but fairly many. Here it's usually the individual teachers who are not really educated (aka old) in the issues that go around today. I still remember writing a story in 1st grade, one that the teacher then read to the class (though, everyones stories got read, had all been able to read out loud without it taking forever and a day we would have done it our selves) thing was, my story ended with the heroine getting a card saying happy valentines day and since I had misspelled a little, the teacher read "happy buttocks day". I ran and hid in a closet and didn't come out until the day was over. BTW, hjärta (hearts, what we say instead of valentines on our cards) and stjärt (buttocks) and I wrote kärta.
To this day I cannot understand how he could be that stupid. He with all his knowledge of the language, and having read the content of the text, should have been able to associate the correct word, though it was misspelled. Then corrected me privately, though spelling wasn't part of the assignmment, it was always important. And I think it is! I am furrious with my nephews and niece's school. They've decided to only make spelling important in spelling tests, to not hinder the "story telling". GAH! Also, they prefer computer printed stories. Who here thinks the kids run a spell-checker? Yeah, doesn't that just make it MORE important to practice spelling and handwriting in school? In my opinion yes...
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

Jen- I am sickened by what you wrote. I can't believe they would drop Language Arts because of budget cuts. Where are you from?? Language Arts is the LAST thing they would drop because of budget cuts. For example in my school we do not have art, music, or foreign language. But we do have the major curriculum math, language arts, social studies, science, and math. Oh my god... I am just shocked! :shock:

Ninna- aww.. that is such a cute story though. I usually have my students read their own work because one they can read it and two they need to read as much as possible. Even if it takes them 5 minutes I still make them read.

I really do love my job and it is very rewarding!

So in other boring news I am watching today's Oprah right now and former President Bush is on talking about his book and everything that happened in his Presidency. While I can't stand the man, I am very interested in reading his book. Has anyone read it and have any opinions about it?

I hope everyone had a great day! I know I did and my feet are killing me!!! HEHE
Avi by Shel
Gen Y Thread is <3
therealmrswhitlock

I'm from Iowa. And there are "English" classes in high school (for the first two years)....the problem is with the elementary kids. They read stories in class and stuff, but all the things that teach them HOW to sound out words and things that focus on reading comprehension are gone. This also affects the math classes, because the kids can't figure out word problems either if they don't understand what they're reading. They already cut the fine arts down to half (a HUMONGOUS mistake in my book) and there is only one foreign language (Spanish). Like I said, they cut Home Ec already, and there's nothing left to cut (except the sports budget, which somehow manages to keep increasing). But they added Civics. What?!? How is Civics more important than Introduction to Literature (another class that's gone)? Add to that the fact that all these kids write in text language....gah! I feel sorry for my old Grammar teacher.

There is not really any more spelling classes or reading classes after kindergarten and some kids learn slower.....but our school just says if the child is that far behind maybe they should be in Special Ed. And, of course, the Special Ed program is lacking as well. They just go over the same things over and over instead of letting the kid learn new things at their own pace. (I realize some kids with developmental challenges can sometimes only progress so far, but they should still get the opportunity to learn as much as possible)

I am seriously considering home schooling my future children......really.
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

Wow just wow. And it sickens me even more because you live in the U.S. I just wow... home school your children. I am against home schooling but honestly if that's what your state has to offer as far is education they are better off at home. As for civics I know in the NJ Core Curriculum Standards we must a Civics strand.

Just finished reading Water for Elephants and I loved it! Great book. I hope the movie is just as good!
Avi by Shel
Gen Y Thread is <3
therealmrswhitlock

I have some sad news to share.....my dog, Brownie, passed away today. She was 14, so she had a good long life. I'm doing all right, but my brother was close with her and is having a really hard time. Please keep us in your thoughts.
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Jen- I'm so sorry for you and your brother. I cried my heart out when our last dog died, though it was her time.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK