Rob's Halfway House #11

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Rob's Halfway House #11

Post by Tornado »

Fireworks are illegal in Queensland, where I live, for the general population, anyway. Only professional firework display companies can use them because the fire risk is too great in a place where it is frequently hot and dry, especially around New Year.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Happy new years from the west coast! I'm sleeping on my friends couch tonight but I totally have A Thousand Years part 2 looping in my head right now and who else can I share it with??

Bummed I had no new years kiss since the new boy is our exploring Asia :(

Regardless... A happy 2013 to all!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

I hope you all got through the fireworks and parties safely. I'm driving back to my new house to get some things done today.

I'll try to drop by when I can

These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Happy 2013!!! I see at least some of you have made your way home!

Lynne, that's exactly what my husband said....candidate for the Darwin Awards...or maybe my brother said that when I called him...in any case, I fear more for their kids. The kids can't predict what's going to happen...that's why we have parents. And these parents are being SO irresponsible and I hope nothing bad happens to those girls, because it will be their parents' fault if it does, but those little girls would be the ones to deal with the consequences for the rest of their lives.
Can you actually sleep through the fireworks? Or can you not hear them from your house? I suppose that since not everyone is allowed to have them, that helps. Over here, they are all over the place and I can't sleep through it, so I stay up so I don't get startled awake. But I am not a big New Years person.

Sean, they were supervised, so that's something...but a 2 year old shouldn't be anywhere near a lit firework whether they are supervised or not. If something is wrong with the firework and it blows up, or she starts shaking it in her excitement, or clapping her hands and drops it, etc....it's just not something you give to a young child. And she's too young to know the difference between a roman candle and a fire cracker or something. What happens if she sees a fountain lit and decides she wants to hold it and she goes running for it? She doesn't understand that there are some fireworks that you CAN NOT hold...she only knows she got to hold the one, so why can't she hold this one? It terrifies me to think of all the things that could go wrong with that scenario.

Amanda Beth, sorry you didn't get a New Year's kiss, but maybe you could listen to A thousand Years and just imagine kissing Rob.

Marielle, how was your New Years? Did you guys go out?
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Morning all!

I'm feeling a little down today. Hubby goes back to work tomorrow, so it will just be Little Man and me, which is a daunting prospect. I should be able to cope until Saturday, I guess.

Also, I've been asked to do a guest spot on someone's writers' blog, but I'm supposed to provide a link to another author who wants to participate, but none of my author friends have said yes to my request, and I've asked at least ten of them. What's annoyed me most is that the lady who asked me to do it has four people altogether that she is linking, a couple of whom are people I've asked, but she wouldn't give even one of them to me when she knows I've got no one. I'm thinking of dropping out of it. It's humiliating to have no one to link to. It's typical of me, though. I'm always the one who fails.

Songbird
- yes, if they were going off all over our neighbourhood I'd probably wake up. We can here the ones in the city from here, but they're not so loud that they wake me.

Amanda Beth - you'll have to save that kiss for a later date!
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Hey!

Spending hubby's last day off watching a season of Survivor he hasn't seen..marathon style :) I will definitely miss all this extra time with him! It's much needed after the intense month we had.

Lynne- that sounds really frustrating :/ I'm not really an author (haven't written anything full length in a long time) but you can link to my blog if necessary..I'm just now getting it back up and running.

Song-it's sad to watch irresponsible parenting, especially dangerous parenting! We do 4th of July fireworks but we're always very careful with who lights them :)

I experienced a bit of frustrating parenting last night by letting their kids run wild, which got the other kids riled up while a younger one was trying to sleep and the adults were trying to have conversations. Then again, I wasn't much in a party mood so everything was more annoying!

Amanda- great song! Sorry to hear about your boy, when is he back?

Marielle- good luck getting things done!!

Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone.

Songbird: That's why I said "little kids". It's bad enough that these parents already don't seem particularly responsible with letting a 7 year old do that stuff. But a 2 year old, who doesn't really understand what's doing on? My parents used to do the fireworks stuff out here for the 4th of July, but they--let alone me or my brothers--wouldn't do any of the stuff you described. Don't they know that they can injure themselves, let alone their children?

Everyone: OK, I just got up, only to have to go back to bed in a few hours because I have to go into work early tomorrow--grandma has a doctor's appointment and it might run over into me getting to work on time, so I'll be spending about an hour in a half at work off the clock, probably reading. At least that's better than nothing.

So that means that there'll probably be no fan fic writing tonight and maybe only a little while playing VGs before I have to go back to sleep.

Hope everyone had a happy new year's day.

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Hello everyone~

Happy New Year to all of you! I hope you enjoyed ringing in the new year, in whatever form or fashion you chose to celebrate. We celebrated as we usually do with another family whose kids are about the same age as ours. They came over for dinner and spent the night, and stayed until late this afternoon watching football, conversing, etc. We have lots of good food, silly conversation, a little adult beverages, and generally just enjoy hanging out and visiting with them, playing cards, watching the ball drop, etc. We've spent New Year's Eve and day with this family for the past five or six years. It's such a nice, relaxing, and safe way to enjoy the brief time spent between the Christmas chaos, and just before returning to our regular school and work routines. I'm off work tomorrow too, and the kids and are I are finally going to see The Hobbit. I may try to squeeze in a solo viewing of Les Mis on Thursday, if we're not too busy at work and I'm able to make the 5:15 showing.

Sarah~ I'm glad you enjoyed spending the extra time with Jason over the holidays. It's such a nice way to relax and rejuvenate before getting back into the post-holiday routine. That's good news that Jason's grandmother is doing so well and may be able to leave the hospital soon.

Songbird~ I hope you and your family enjoyed your New Year's celebrations. I can't believe the stupidity demonstrated by some people either.....letting a toddler and young child handle fireworks alone? :shock:

Suzan~ I hope you've enjoyed your holiday celebrating and time spend relaxing with family and friends. When will you return to classes?

Lynne~ I'm sure you and Little Man will manage quite well and he'll enjoy the extra solo time with you. Did Little Man let you and hubs sleep in at all New Year's morning? I'm sorry you haven't found another writer to link for the guest blog as that sounds like an interesting and fun opportunity. I hate taking down Christmas decorations too. It always feels like such a "let-down" after Christmas, and having to tackle and put everything away just intensifies that feeling. I did take all the ornaments and lights off the tree after our company left this afternoon, and boxed up our Dickens Village set. That's all I managed today, as I enjoyed taking a completely lazy, guilt-free, and luxurious two hour nap instead, while hubs and the kids were napping too. ;)

Marielle~ Happy New Year to you too! We look forward to hearing about the house and your various projects. When will you head back to work?

Amanda Beth~ Happy New Years to you, from the Southeast. ;) When will the new boy return from his travels in Asia?

**EDIT: Here is a complete list of the Top Ten Twilight Saga Moments from Book to Screen compiled by the Lexicon. Reading some of the selected scenes made me smile as I relieved memorable moments from each of the movies, and it was interesting to see which scenes were chosen.
Banner by TammyAZ
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Sarah - thanks for the offer, but I think it has to be a published novel.

Tracy - I'm glad you had a relaxing welcoming in of the new year! No, Little Man didn't let us sleep in. He's not the type that likes sleeping in. He usually dissolves into tears if he sleeps in five minutes after his normal waking up time! :roll: At least these days he can get up and play in his room for a while, but he tends to come in still to update me on what he's doing. "I'm just going to the toilet," etc. Like I want to know that!
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

I spent the morning baking! I made gingerbread last night and cut out my sleigh, but the recipe said to bake it 30 minutes and I only did 20, but it burned. So I redid it this morning...fortunately I saved the dough so I didn't have to make a whole new batch, just roll it out. I have to say it was a lot easier than graham crackers!! I was pretty happy with the results.

Wow, Lynne...what if you don't KNOW any authors? I would have a hard time finding anyone to link to, too. Don't give up yet...maybe someone just hasn't had time to respond with the new year and everything! I have to laugh at your son coming to inform you of going to the bathroom. My son's favorite is "My stomach hurts." EVERY morning. And also every night, hoping he will get to stay up. It's just because he's bored and wants attention. So we have to get up anyway.

Sarah, it IS frustrating. What you described is pretty much every weekend at my in-laws' house. My BIL doesn't discipline his son so he runs amuck and tries to get my kids to follow. He'll say bad words and then tell my son to say them to get him in trouble because he knows I can't punish HIM, but I can punish MM and he knows I will. So he'll persuade MM to say things and then I make him stand in the corner and B just laughs because his dad won't do anything to him. I wish my son would figure out that his cousin is messing with him and stop falling for it! And my nephew also has some form of autism and he's REALLY hyper, so he runs all over the place and is really loud and he jumps all over the furniture, etc, and then my kids don't understand why they are getting in trouble for doing that when B isn't. So why weren't you in a party mood? Did something happen or were you just tired or something?

Sean, Good luck with your schedule. Do you have to stay with your grandma at the Doctors or can one of your brothers go with her?

Tracy, that sounds like a nice relaxed celebration! Good luck getting to see Les Mis! Hubs is going to see the Hobbit today.
Signature artwork by TammyAZ