True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Post by una »

I've read the books and about to read the lastest one, book 8 "From Dead to Worse". I've noticed that HBO has really kicked up the skin. I realize with the medium of TV you can show more of what is going on around you since we are not stuck with Sookie as our narrative anchor, but goodness! :shock: It seems they are working diligently to keep the skin showing in this. I am enjoying it though, it is great to see the book played out on the screen. Although Anna isn't my choice, she is doing an okay job as Sookie, but she does seem a little stiff. Sookie always struck me as overly laid back in her presentation to others, keeping her inner turmoil to herself. I don't see that in the Sookie Anna is portraying. Bill, however, is doing a fabulous job and I really like Sam. Both are excellent and I thought it funny when the dog showed up to Sam! I had to do a double take...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
mvarrin
Settled in Forks

Post by mvarrin »

I have read this series (the one that's the subject of this thread) and love it. I have also read all of the Twilight series. Did you know that Dead Until Dark was written 2 years before Twilight? So any similarities would be Meyer's "borrowing" from Harris (hmmm, she's not quite as original as we all thought, eh?). Here are the similarities:

-mind reading
-mind reading with the exception of the love interest (their mind is blocked for some reason)
-a best male friend who is in love with the lead character and is a dog at times. woof.
-a house in the woods in need of someone to guard the girl inside.
-hypnotic AMBER eyes (ok, are all vampires equipped with amber/yellow eyes??)

I think the setting and mood are fabulous in Twilight and the plot and suspense, but the characters are vapid (means devoid of anything meaningful), unlike Harris' books. No Sookie is no Bella because she actually has a personality, can defend herself and has a life beyond her boyfriend. She also doesn't seem to be sickly and grossly co-dependant like Bella. It's a far far superior series, The So. Vampire Mysteries Series that is.
kristiekristie1
Settled in Forks

Post by kristiekristie1 »

Ive seen the first three episodes on ch131 it takes forever to download &+ the quality is really dodgey :(
Does anyone know if true blood will be aired in Australia anytime soon ?
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

I'm loving this show more and more. I literally sat down with a friend today and had her tell me EVERYTHING that has happened in the books. It's strange to hear all the things they've added to the show, but much more shocking to see just how accurately the show is depicting the books. It certainly doesn't hurt that the guys on True Blood are beautiful. ;)
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

*Bloodlust* wrote:I'm loving this show more and more. I literally sat down with a friend today and had her tell me EVERYTHING that has happened in the books. It's strange to hear all the things they've added to the show, but much more shocking to see just how accurately the show is depicting the books. It certainly doesn't hurt that the guys on True Blood are beautiful. ;)

i haven't watched the latest episode.. i can't wait to watch it.. i love all the hot guys on the show.. bill.. MMM he is my favorite *points to avatar*
i want to read the books.. they've been out for sooo long
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
AshleeTwilight8
Wandering Through Town

Post by AshleeTwilight8 »

I ordered the first 4 books today. I am excited to read them. I tried to watch the episodes on HBO.com but they only had short clips. I am considering ordering HBO...or just waiting until the first season comes out on DVD...
"Why am I covered in feathers?"- Bella Swan
"I bit a pillow or two"-Edward Cullen
he_dazzles_me
Settled in Forks

Post by he_dazzles_me »

Amazing show!! :)
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by pubesy »

My neighbour downloaded the first 2 eps and gave them to me.

The first two episodes i watched and was like "wtf? this is Awful!"

The southern accents are TRAGIC! And there is some SEROUS BAD ACTING going on for Bill Compton. The storyline of "true blood" seemed hilarious.

but - regardless, i continued watching, out of curiosity's sake. AND I AM HOOKED! LOL This show is awesome.

It is just such a funny show! its great!

Bill's Actor tries to play this southern gentleman from the 1800s, yet he just comes across as someone with a pole stuck up their anus.

and the BROTHER and BEST FRIEND....LOLOLOLOL....especially when he OD's on V-juice and has to go to the docs!

and the cops are funny...they really have no clue
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
genuinesmile
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by genuinesmile »

he_dazzles_me wrote:Amazing show!! :)
Indeed :]
I'm hooked...the characters are likeable, the story is interesting. I only wish i had read the books before the series started...i mean i'm still planning on doing so but it's likely that i'll be picturing what i've seen on the show so far rather than something of my own...*shrug* lol
Tateyyy92
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tateyyy92 »

Omg I love True Blood. It is my favorite show.
The new episode is amazzzing I just find my self criticizing it all the time though. Like with vampire stuff haha comparing it to Twilight. Like when Bill sleeps i'm like "hey wait, vampires dont sleep." and when he bites sookie or is standing next to gran bloody body, how could he resist the urge..

oo and I have a question cause I haven;t read the books, but how do they turn people into vampires. Cause people drink v and vamps can bite people without changing them..

Twilight= LIFE