True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Wolf Boy
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Post by Wolf Boy »

I'm really ecxited for this series, I love that its on HBO, It can now be so much more. I just purchsed the first episode off ebay, so I hope it gets here soon, so I can check it out, I don't have HBO, but I heard you will be able to buy the episodes off of itunes. I love sexy sookie stackhouse. I hope it's huge for HBO so we can have a few seasons.
I will Always be waiting in the wings
nicalyrenard
Settled in Forks

Post by nicalyrenard »

Also, anyone interested in the viral marketing scheme they used to promote this series, there are many fake websites set up like
www.bloodcopy.com, www.trubeverage.com, www.lovebitten.net, www.fellowshipofthesun.org, and www.americanvampireleague.com

I personally was sad to find out that you cannot actually sign up for lovebitten.net
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

NYCBella wrote:Okay this is for Elizabeth:

The show is about how in Japan they created this synthetic (sp?) blood drink which does nothing for humans but it satisfies vampire needs so that they aren't a threat to us mere mortals. When the vampires begin to learn of this drink they stop feeding on humans and they come out in the open telling the world that they are real and that they are no threat. Some people are fine and accept them for what they are and believe them. Some, of course, are skeptical and begin to question if they should be allowed to live. The vampires argue their side by saying that they are just like us and have to work and pay taxes, etc.

Now, the story is about this girl named Sookie who falls in love with a vampire (duh) named Bill. I'll post the character bios....

Sookie Stackhouse: Sookie lost her parents as a child, not long after realizing she had the ability to hear others' thoughts. Though Sookie's gtrandmother took her in, the young woman's telepathy has been an ongoing curse. hearing the intimate feelings of everyone in her small town has left her feeling impossibly alone. And those who haven't been scared off by her "talent" have disgusted her with their shady musings. After decades spent as the local oddball, Sookie has learned to serve up a combination of sexiness and sass that helps her deal with most situations, but she has yet to find out whether her bite can back up the bark.

Bill Compton: In his 173 yrs. on the earth, this vampire has seen more than his share of cruelty and violence - from humans and vampires alike. While he holds no illusions about his own existence, Bill has returned to his family home of Bon Temps hoping to reconnect with whatever humanity he's managed to retain. he never expected this attempt at mainstreaming in include romance, however; especially with a human girl just as strange enough to accept him for what he is.

A lot of things are like with the vampires in our beloved Twilight.

So what do you think?
Thank you so much for filling me in! It does sound very similar to Twilight. The telepathic power seems like too much of a coincidence. It's like Bella switched with Edward. Is the series based in the US? I know the blood drink was created in Japan, but Sookie doesn't sound like a common name.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Wolf Boy
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Wolf Boy »

Hey , The series is based in the city of Bon temps in Louisiana, so very southern, and thats what also makes it very fun to read, the first book was out a couple years before twilight, so charlaine Harris did her thing first, there are some similarites, but all vampires stories I have read have alot of that going on, but Sookie is the complete opposite of Bella to me, and this series is for a more mature crowd, its got mystery, romance, and cool supernatural stuff,and is very funny. I have more fun reading the sookie stackhouse series than twilight, but I love twilight just as much in a different way, its like vanilla versus chocolate chip mint ice cream, there both good but in different ways. :P
I will Always be waiting in the wings
NYCBella
Settled in Forks

Post by NYCBella »

Wolf Boy wrote:its like vanilla versus chocolate chip mint ice cream, there both good but in different ways. :P

Oh my gosh, I loved that line! Great analogy. :lol:

I haven't read the series...but it sounds really good. I like that it's based in a city in Louisiana, it's so different from what we're used to seeing (you know the L.A. or New York thing). So it deffinatly is a refreshing change.
-EB-
Wandering Through Town

Post by -EB- »

So I've been without TV for over 2 months!! The good thing about not having been able to get satellite and having to wait for cable to become available...1 year of HBO for free!!! YAY. So I will actually be able to watch and record this series because otherwise I couldn't have justified the cost :P
Q: How does one insult a mathematician?A: You say: "Your brain is smaller than any Epsilon>0!"

a pet project to show my Meyer love:Image
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I've read this series and I really like it. It's smart, sexy, easy to read and has a fun mystery twitch to it. The characters are great and I get really caught up in the question of, Who is Sookie going to end up with?!? Crazy, I think this series is a great book for an HBO series like this. The director is also a great choice in my opinion. I watched Six Feet Under for a while and enjoyed that series (before the storyline lost me). I really look forward to catching this on Sunday.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

I didn't realize until right now that it was based on a book series. Hmmm...might have to buy it.

I can't wait to see this show, though. It'll be a nice vampire fix until Twilight comes out.
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Is the series categorized under YA? I'm contemplating taking a trip to the bookstore just to find out why you all speak so highly of the series. It sounds great! Is the series complete, or does the author constantly add new books?
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
-EB-
Wandering Through Town

Post by -EB- »

This is a VERY un-YA book. It's Romance. Very yummy romance. I believe that the author is still adding books to the series but I'm only on Book 2.
Q: How does one insult a mathematician?A: You say: "Your brain is smaller than any Epsilon>0!"

a pet project to show my Meyer love:Image