Most Effective Horror Movies

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
maggiepants
Wandering Through Town

Re: Most Effective Horror Movies

Post by maggiepants »

I've never really found most horror movies to be as scary as everyone else does. That being said, both Rosemary's Baby and Misery scared me beyond belief. RB wasn't the jump out at you scary, but it messed with my mind. I mean, her husband sells her baby's soul to a cult to become successful...I can't think of many more things that are creepier. Plus, though that scene with all the old people at the end is kind of funny, it scared me for reasons I can't really explain. haha Misery was scary because...well, I mean, did you see Kathy Bates? She was soooo insane. And that hammer scene is just so painful to watch. I still cringe and look away when I watch that movie. :D
Chyeah
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chyeah »

Misery was cool, I only saw some of it, though. After a while, I was like, "What happened to Ms. Hannigan? What?" Especially after she shoots the deputy.
I'm an anti here for civil discussion on why Twihards like Twilight. However, if you personally insult me, I see no reason to respect you. You have been warned.
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I was definately freaked out by The Sixth Sense. But the most recent horror movie that I saw was The Ruins. It was scary at some parts but we watched the unrated version and it was so gnarly. I did not want to go near vines after that lol.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I think the most effective horror movie/movies were Children of the Corn & The Omen. It just shocked me how children could be so cruel/evil but they weren't actually kids, were they.

I agree on Rosemary's Baby that was a good one. I think those films that came out in the late 60's early 70's were the best and Alfred Hitchcock was great.

One that I can't get out of my mind is The Shining. I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was younger & still haven't seen it. I think my mom scared me but I do remember "Here's Johnny."

I think the movies from back in the day were better than the one's that are put out now because they play on your fears & it's not all about the blood and guts (don't get me wrong, I like those types of movies too) but the suspense & not knowing what's around the corner, is the best.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
Tengo Nubs.
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: Fighting off all the chubies who want to steal her fictional men. ::cough::SAM&SHEL::cough::

Post by Tengo Nubs. »

alack! the perfect thread for me!

i've been looking for horror movie suggestions owing to the halloween season and now i have a whole list! yay!

now, that being said, i love horror movies but i don't actually get scared by a lot of them. i usually just end up laughing at the older ones (i'm sorry, but children of the corn was the most hilarious movie i have ever seen in my life). so hmm...it's hard for me to pick out movies that have actually scared me.

umm...the new amityville horror movie kinda freaked me out the first time i watched it. there was just a lot of things suddenly appearing out of nowhere and then there's so many times where they just screw with your mind. plus, ryan reynolds is ridiculously hot.

the shining used to scare me a whole lot. i watched it when i was really little, but i think i've grown immune to it. i would still recommend it to people who want a psychological thriller. or secret window--another stephen king movie that's scary because you can't really figure out what the hell is going on until the end.

edit: i just watched a movie called "darkness" and i have to say--worst movie EVER. seriously. this movie was terrible in that a) it wasn't scary at all b) it didn't have much of a plot and c) the acting was atrocious.
it's good for a laugh though. haha.
Sam and Shel <3 --Twinnies Randomness Regular. Addicted to the Brothers <3
redlips
Learning to Love Green

Post by redlips »

I don't consider them to be scary anymore, but Scream, Scream 2, and Scream 3 are great. I think I was scared the first few times I watched them, but after a while you notice the really funny stuff, especially the funny things David Arquette does. I have marathons with my mum and my sister, and we just laugh!

But I'm not really a fan of scary movies/horror. I saw a trailer for that new movie Mirrors, and when the little boy sitting in front of a mirror turned around and HIS REFLECTION DIDN'T I practically had a heart attack! So, it's unlikely that anyone can convince me to watch horror. My parents watch all the Saw movies. MY PARENTS! I am a teenager, and I don't even watch them!

And there is NO WAY you could ever get me to watch movies with ventriloquist dummies in it, like the Chucky ones. Freaky!

Argh, don't get me started on The Blair Witch Project! I watched it because I'd heard about it, and was curious. And I watched it alone. Am I an idiot or what!? I had soooooo much trouble sleeping that night! I actually started watching it at night, but gave up and watched the rest during the day because I was so freaked out!
Major Redlips, Sergeant Major of Jasper's Confederate Army,
I'm suffering from OCD: Obsessive Cullen Disorder
Team Jasper: Because everything is bigger in Texas
NKistheshiz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by NKistheshiz »

I've never really been scared by any horror movies. I love them but they don't scare me at all. I've only really freaked out and had to leave during one horror movie - The Excorsism of Emily Rose. That movie freaked me out. The fact that freaked me out most was that that really happened to a girl. That just kept going through my head when I was watching it. I had to leave. I was beyond freaking out. I couldn't sleep for like weeks. It freaked me out so bad - just the fact that happened to a person...just omg...it's just indescribable.
Inquisitive and thoughtful,
she was the challenge he'd been waiting for;
a reminder that creativity runs deep like secrets.
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

OH I got one that I watched this weekend that really scared me. Hannibal. Not Hannibal Rising (the newer one) but the one with Anthony Hopkins in it. That scared me soooo bad!!!!! I've been freaked out for the entire week since I watched it. But it is definately worth it.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
LoveIt
Settled in Forks

Post by LoveIt »

In the last few years...The Decent!

I remember watching IT in high school... that was scary.

I use to love watching Silver Bullet (not so scary) and The Lost Boys - but 80's horror flicks... classic! :-)
"You’re quite adorable when you’re jealous. It’s surprisingly enjoyable." ~Edward Cullen
ana;
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ana; »

The Ring got me all bothered a few nights after seeing it.

and the first Excorcist! It was awful.