The Jonas Brothers

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
JessRuby
Wandering Through Town

Re: The Jonas Brothers

Post by JessRuby »

Amsyn wrote: They will break up in a few years, turn to drugs, and won't be heard from again.
They're actual brothers.. hahaha
So although they may stop performing as a band, they'll never 'break up'
They're also devoted Christians, so I highly highly doubt they'd turn to drugs, too.

Oh, and I truly don't want to get in the middle of the argument, but ALBL is not their only meaningful song.
They have a song they wrote called Eternity. They wrote it after their grandma had passed away. They played it live a few times but never officially released it.
I'm not sure how long it took them to write or anything, but that song really helped me when I was going through a really hard time when my grandma passed.

Although their songs may not be as meaningful as others out there, they do help people through tough times and I think that's one thing they're aiming for.

Take their song 'Hold On' for example. That helped my friend through a hard time in her life - "don't give up on love, have faith, restart. just hold on"
Not trying to get personal here, but yeah, that song helped her come out of a dark time in her life.

Just a bunch of their other songs, too, just cheer people up. That's what they're going for, to make people happy through something they love to do - music.

They never claimed to be amazing. They know they're still amateur and are still learning everyday.

This turned into a longer post than I'd imagined, haha.
"Marry me first."
"Okay. What's the punch line?"
"You're wounding my ego, Bella. I just proposed to you, and you think it's a
joke."
xStarlightembers;;]
Settled in Forks

Post by xStarlightembers;;] »

They're also devoted Christians, so I highly highly doubt they'd turn to drugs, too.
That was rather offensive, and I'm sure it could be to others as well. Being Christian does not mean you will stay away from drugs, it just means you have a religion telling you that you should not to do damage to yourself. (ie; doing drugs) The reason I took offense is because in a dark period in my life I thought about using, and my friend actually did; we're not bad kids (I get As), we just got desperate -- her more than I.

There's a hardcore Christian band, Underoath, and the singer recently began his recovery from a cocaine addiction. Does it make him any less Christian? No, it just says he's human -- he made a mistake. (That's what their new album is about, too.)
Oh, and I truly don't want to get in the middle of the argument, but ALBL is not their only meaningful song.
They have a song they wrote called Eternity. They wrote it after their grandma had passed away. They played it live a few times but never officially released it.
That would be why I have never heard of it. I will be sure to check it out, though (just out of curiosity). Also, even though that may not be their only one, the majority of their songs still lack the sincerity I love in bands. If they can write two or three, they should make it their main goal -- it will go over better. Sorry for your grandmother, I know how hard it can be to feel that type of loss.
Take their song 'Hold On' for example. That helped my friend through a hard time in her life - "don't give up on love, have faith, restart. just hold on"
Not trying to get personal here, but yeah, that song helped her come out of a dark time in her life.
As stated before, if there are a few of their songs that can do that -- if they have that power -- they should use their (unfair, I still think they should have worked from the bottom) hype to their advantage. Stop with the love songs, and more with these types of lyrics. I look at the bands I listen to know, and realize that if they wrote mostly love songs (which would get radio play) and not enough of what they usually do, I would not be here. It was some web site's 'radio blog' that introduced My Chemical Romance to me; aka the band that saved my life.

Basically, my point is: if they can do that with their less popular songs, than they need to make those songs popular -- those should be the radio plays, reaches more people.
xStarlightembers;;]
12 Years Young . Proudly Female . Team Jacob (though happy with the ending) . Music Dependant . Rock fan. My Chemical Romance are my life . Hawthorne Heights (Nov 26th) . Avid reader .
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

The Jonas Brothers were not just thrown into the world, famous. Nick was discovered when he was five years old in a barber shop. He has been on Broadway, 4 shows, Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, and A Christmas Carol. Joe was discovered at one of Nick's auditions, when someone asked if he could sing, too. Kevin knew he wanted to be a guitarist for life at age 13, when he was home sick and taught himself to play. They have a history before Disney, unlike most other Disney stars. It is true that Disney helped them to become as popular as they are today, but I think they are immensely talented. Even if you don't like their music, you have to admit, they do have talent. To those who are saying they have more talent and deserve to be famous, and Jonas doesn't (and I am not directing this to anyone here, I dont think anybody has said this yet, but i bet someone is bound to) There is probably a reason you are not famous, and they are. Maybe you are not as good as you think you are, or maybe you don't take your time to go to auditions, or anything like that. If you were really that good, you probably would of been discovered. (And I am not saying that Jonas are the only talented people, and nobody else is, but if you don't try, you don't deserve the glory)

*I do not mean this to offend anybody, and if it does, please let me know in a PM or something, and I will apologize.*
List, Gnat ♥
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

Jasper<3 wrote:To those who are saying they have more talent and deserve to be famous, and Jonas doesn't (and I am not directing this to anyone here, I dont think anybody has said this yet, but i bet someone is bound to) There is probably a reason you are not famous, and they are. Maybe you are not as good as you think you are, or maybe you don't take your time to go to auditions, or anything like that. If you were really that good, you probably would of been discovered. (And I am not saying that Jonas are the only talented people, and nobody else is, but if you don't try, you don't deserve the glory)
This isn't offensive but I just wanted to say.. when did anyone ever say that they felt they deserved to be famous? All I've read yet is people suggesting bands that worked their way up from the bottom. I never sensed a hint of jealousy from anyone..
Amsyn wrote:Well, being a good song and being meaningful should coincide. The song can be the most meaningful in the world, but if the singer is William Hung and the instruments are baseball bats on metal, then 0/10 for that song. As I said previously, material and presentation both matter, for a good song. One shouldn't exist w/o the other.
I can see where you are coming from and I get it, but to me, I do have favorite songs for the lyrics and not the sound. Take Windowsill by Arcade Fire for example. I'm in love with the lyrics - they are my exact views on America (I won't go into that but if anyone is interested, you can drop me a PM. I'm always up for a good, clean debate :)) However, I really don't like the sound of Windowsill. I listen to it, though, for how true I think the lyrics are. But the thing is, what I think makes a band genius is if they can make good songs and meaningful ones. To me, this would be Muse.. but hey, I'm not trying to get people to listen to them or anything..erm :lol:
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

Twilight<3 wrote:
Jasper<3 wrote:To those who are saying they have more talent and deserve to be famous, and Jonas doesn't (and I am not directing this to anyone here, I dont think anybody has said this yet, but i bet someone is bound to) There is probably a reason you are not famous, and they are. Maybe you are not as good as you think you are, or maybe you don't take your time to go to auditions, or anything like that. If you were really that good, you probably would of been discovered. (And I am not saying that Jonas are the only talented people, and nobody else is, but if you don't try, you don't deserve the glory)
This isn't offensive but I just wanted to say.. when did anyone ever say that they felt they deserved to be famous? All I've read yet is people suggesting bands that worked their way up from the bottom. I never sensed a hint of jealousy from anyone..
Yeah... I got a little carried away when I wrote that... but I kept it anyway. I did say "I dont think anybody has said this yet" right in my message...
List, Gnat ♥
xStarlightembers;;]
Settled in Forks

Post by xStarlightembers;;] »

As noted in one of my earlier posts, I think that they do have some talent -- just not as much as their hype portrays. They're OK as far as I'm concerned; but just that -- OK. Certainly not as talented as some less-known or non-celebrity bands (A lot of indie, for example). Overrated, I suppose is the word I'm looking for. Nick's voice is a bit too whiny for my comfort, the backing vocals are are a bit better, and the guitar is nothing that special. *Sigh* I just feel like there are one too many fans (not calling anybody out, but it does happen) that look at them like the best band out there in today's music; which isn't true, musically at least (there are a lot more talented singers and musicians, if I like them or not, out there today.)
The Jonas Brothers were not just thrown into the world, famous. Nick was discovered when he was five years old in a barber shop. He has been on Broadway, 4 shows, Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, and A Christmas Carol. Joe was discovered at one of Nick's auditions, when someone asked if he could sing, too. Kevin knew he wanted to be a guitarist for life at age 13, when he was home sick and taught himself to play. They have a history before Disney, unlike most other Disney stars.
I never said that they just arrived on the scene with no experience; but, as a BAND, they should have started at the bottom -- playing small venues, gathering a local fan base, touring non-stop, attracting the attention of an independent label, thinking about it, signing, recording, more touring....They started out on a major label, with national attention, without having to do what almost every other band has had to. Disney (with their greedy eyes) found the Jonas Brothers, and as a BAND (not individuals), they were dropped into fame. You can't argue that; no matter if their dreams were pure, they were unfairly put at the top. No matter how good or bad they may be, I can not respect them as a BAND because of that.
To those who are saying they have more talent and deserve to be famous, and Jonas doesn't (and I am not directing this to anyone here, I dont think anybody has said this yet, but i bet someone is bound to) There is probably a reason you are not famous, and they are. Maybe you are not as good as you think you are, or maybe you don't take your time to go to auditions, or anything like that. If you were really that good, you probably would of been discovered. (And I am not saying that Jonas are the only talented people, and nobody else is, but if you don't try, you don't deserve the glory)
I want to play in a touring band, but I don't want it for the fame; that would be more of a burden in my eyes than a good thing. When fame hits, you have people misunderstanding your meaning, stupid fangirls/boys telling you you're hot (what happened to the music?), and not to mention the lack of privacy. If I ever do play in a band, and I am blessed enough to hit the 'big-time', I would only see it as a positive thing because you can reach more people. Now, back to what I was saying....

I do not think I deserve the fame any more than the Jonas Brothers; but I still stand by the fact they should not have it. They may have practiced or played while younger, which is great, but as a BAND they were still too new to have been thrown to the top.
xStarlightembers;;]
12 Years Young . Proudly Female . Team Jacob (though happy with the ending) . Music Dependant . Rock fan. My Chemical Romance are my life . Hawthorne Heights (Nov 26th) . Avid reader .
clariissaa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by clariissaa »

Woah. heated discussion. =D
And I will say this again.. I love the Jonas Brothers to death. <3
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

clariissaa wrote:Woah. heated discussion. =D
Wouldn't have it any other way. ;) As long as it remains clean, of course.
xStarlightembers;;] wrote:As noted in one of my earlier posts, I think that they do have some talent -- just not as much as their hype portrays. They're OK as far as I'm concerned; but just that -- OK. Certainly not as talented as some less-known or non-celebrity bands (A lot of indie, for example). Overrated, I suppose is the word I'm looking for. Nick's voice is a bit too whiny for my comfort, the backing vocals are are a bit better, and the guitar is nothing that special. *Sigh* I just feel like there are one too many fans (not calling anybody out, but it does happen) that look at them like the best band out there in today's music; which isn't true, musically at least (there are a lot more talented singers and musicians, if I like them or not, out there today.)
Welcome to the pop culture of today, love. (I'm mainly talking about the bolded). You hit it, dead-on. Overrated is a perfect word for them, I imagine. I really think most of the world is just too ignorant and blinded to see the rest of the music out there. They listen to what they hear on the radio and think that is what they are supposed to listen to. MTV, what have you done to me? <<Lyrics by Arcade Fire, if anyone listens to them.
xStarlightembers;;] wrote:
To those who are saying they have more talent and deserve to be famous, and Jonas doesn't (and I am not directing this to anyone here, I dont think anybody has said this yet, but i bet someone is bound to) There is probably a reason you are not famous, and they are. Maybe you are not as good as you think you are, or maybe you don't take your time to go to auditions, or anything like that. If you were really that good, you probably would of been discovered. (And I am not saying that Jonas are the only talented people, and nobody else is, but if you don't try, you don't deserve the glory)
I want to play in a touring band, but I don't want it for the fame; that would be more of a burden in my eyes than a good thing. When fame hits, you have people misunderstanding your meaning, stupid fangirls/boys telling you you're hot (what happened to the music?), and not to mention the lack of privacy. If I ever do play in a band, and I am blessed enough to hit the 'big-time', I would only see it as a positive thing because you can reach more people. Now, back to what I was saying....
:lol: Where have you been all my life? ;) I feel the same way as you do. I would like to play for the music and make an impact on people - not for fame. Frankly, I wouldn't really want to be famous.. not for good-looks anyway. If I had made a difference in the world or on at least a few lives, I would be satisfied.
Krystina the Alien
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Krystina the Alien »

Okay, let's see. I am first and foremost a devoted Hanson fan, so it's in my nature to severely dislike the JoBros.

But I will try to remain as Switzerland as possible with my obvious bias against them. The Jonas Brothers. Just their name can bring squeals of inane chatter to anyone's ear at any one place in North America, and even some other countries (not to exclude anyone, that is). Their songs are good. No doubt about that, but there is only so much pop music someone can take.

And as much as I love Hanson, I have to admit that the JoBros are just a younger version of them. If you even look closely, Kevin and Joe tend to dress like Taylor Hanson, the androgynous member of the group. Scarves, and Ray Bans. Yay.

Anyway, back to their music. If I'm being perfectly honest with myself, I have a guilty addiction to it. I downloaded S.O.S., and from then on I liked their music. At that point, I had only seen them on Hannah Montana, but That's Just The Way We Roll is now one of my favorite songs (granted its like, number 10 on my list).

Then again, you have to think, there are many artists that can sing and play instruments much better than them that deserve to have the label they've got. I fully blame Disney for this. It's all their fault.

Edit: I didn't think my post was going to be so long...
Image <--click this
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

I understand why you are all saying there are more musically talented people out there. I'll bet there are, but this just happens to fit my musical taste exactly... destined to be... *goes starry eyed* sorry...

I respect everyone's opinion, this has been a fun debate! (not that im done debating or anything... my post was just too short...)
List, Gnat ♥