The Musical Wicked

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: The Muscial Wicked

Post by debussygirl »

Oh, the musical isn't like that at all. It just alludes that Elphaba's mom cheated on her dad, and that's the extent of it. But I've heard from 3 sources that it was so bad they skipped over parts of the book. One girl I know stopped reading it all together because of that.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Yeah, the book was pretty bad. I don;t remember anything... in depth... but I may have skipped over some parts to save my brain from needing Clorox.
However, like ^^ said, the musikal is supposed to very different, in that particular aspect.

EDIT: I have now seen it. It. Was. Astounding. I loved it. Now I need to learn to sing along.
Oh, and I met Fiyero, who was exceedingly handsome :D
clariissaa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by clariissaa »

I saw Wicked this weekend in NYC! =D
It was the best show that I ever watched.
I love it. I want to go watch it again. Desperately.

I never read the book so I can't compare. I do plan read it though.
But, seriously, you need to go see the musical if you haven't.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Ahhhhh!!!! Wicked is coming to my town this summer!!! Tickets go on sale next Sunday. I want to go again! My mom talked about it, so I'm hoping...but it's just talk. And they'll sell out so fast. :(
I'm listening to dancing through life right now. :)
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

You are going to have a great time. Wicked is amazing. To me, though...watching Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth is like having a completely different experience - with any other stars it's still a great musical, though. But watching them do it was like it was REAL. It was so much more alive with them. I especially love Idina Menzel - her vocals were perfect for this musical. I mean she was great in Rent as Maureen, but this role was totally HERS. I was so happy when she decided to do Elphaba again in London, even though I'd probably never get there. The way her voice went from beautiful and innocent and ambitious to sounding almost...wicked at times...like a witch, was just perfect. It made Elphaba's transitions from do-gooder to defeated witch...really make sense. She does things with her voice that I haven't heard any other performer do as Elphaba. Defying Gravity is amazing - especially the end. And No Good Deed just kills me ded - it's heartbreaking the way you can HEAR her transition from heartbroken girl to wicked witch in her voice. It's uncanny.

I have to say, I loved the book as well. You definitely have to have an open mind to enjoy it - because it's quite weird at times. The author is extremely gutsy and imaginative...and goes places that can possibly make the reader uncomfortable. But I thought it was brilliant, and it makes the story easier to understand. Genius - and so was the musical.

Image Image
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i never got to see it!! :cry: :cry: i wanted ot soooooo bad. my mom kept saying she would take me for my bday......BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED!! and then they left LA........ :cry: :cry: me so sad...
Betting on Alice.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

^^It's in San Diego right now. I don't know where you live, but SD is only 2 or 3 hours from LA (depending on traffic and driver). They're still selling tickets.
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

I just saw the National Tour in Nashville last weekend and it was BY FAR so much better than what I saw in NYC. I never thought I would ever say that a tour was better than the Broadway version, but I have to say it. The Glinda and Fiyero I saw in NYC were rather poor knock offs of the originals. And then As Long as You're Mine was performed in a LOWER KEY because the man playing Fiyero couldn't hit the notes. What I saw last Friday was brilliant. The actress cast as Glinda played her as kind of making fun of herself in a way and everything was so over the top that it worked. I have a bootleg version of Cristian Chenowith singing Popular and I laughed so much more in the version I saw on Friday than I ever did before. And Fiyero was spot on perfect in his songs, which were all done in the ORIGINAL KEYS they were written in.

Anyway, the point is that if you can see the current National Tour, it is well worth your money.
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

The book Wicked is awful, all I'm going to say. It's just so...wordy.

I definitely need to see Wicked, I know all the music and the plot, I just haven't seen it yet.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Saw the musical in LA what- a year or so ago? I thoroughly enjoyed it. My friends and I tried to remember all the mixed-up words (sleepifying?) but failed to do so. :lol:

The highlight of the night was spotting (amongst all the merchandise) a women's tee that proudly displayed the words "Defying Gravity" right over the breast area. My friends were a little concerned, I was laughing so hard.