Harry Potter movies

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Harry Potter movies

Post by *Bloodlust* »

skylarblue wrote:Now the Goblet of Fire, I totally disagree with you on that. I loved it & thought it was one of the best, next to Prisoner.
Mmmmmh. I'm intrigued now. You really enjoyed the Goblet of Fire? The fact that you think it's the best next to PoA makes me want to rewatch it and see if I can see it any way other than negatively. A new opportunity to look at something in a different way, if you will. Maybe my problem with the movie is that there's sooooo much in the Goblet of Fire that it seems impossible not to have it all in there. But same goes with Order of the Phoenix and Goldenberg managed(mostly)--with no offense to Steve Kloves of course--. But I guess it's all a matter of opinion and what we both see as essential and what we see as not. Not that I didn't think the Goblet of Fire movie didn't have its moment, I was more upset with its overall output. Dumbledore...running? *shiver* That's silly, I know. lol

What's your favorite book, skylarblue?
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

Bloodlust maybe I need to rewatch OotP, I just didn't connect with it like the other movies. I just really enjoyed GoF more.

I have to admit that Dumbledore's running towards Harry was a little disturbing. It made it seem like he was a charging bull & ready to strangle Harry.

I think that of all the books, I like HBP the most. That's why I was so excited about the movie & was very disappointed that they pushed back the release date. I become so use to going to see a Harry potter every year in November, so now it's like what will there be to do.

Maybe after I watch OotP again, I may change my mind. I will have to make sure that I don't have any distractions & can really sit & watch it.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

skylarblue wrote:I think that of all the books, I like HBP the most.
This actually explains quite a bit...or at least quite a bit about why we disagree on some things. HBP is my least favorite book in the entire series. I like it(It's Harry Potter, how could I not?), but nowhere near as much as the others. My fav. would have to be PoA, followed pretty losely by OotP

Also, I promise to sit still, keep my mind void of negativety, and watch the Goblet of Fire movie at the next given opportunity.

One more, I absolutely ADORE your banner. Love, love, LOVE it!
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

^^Well I enjoyed PoA also, like I said I liked the movie too. That was my favorite before GoF came out but now thinking about it I like both movies equally.

PoA was the introduction of Sirius and he's one of my favorite characters and I was greatly saddened and highly disappointed that he was killed of in OotP (maybe that's why I didn't like the movie too much).

I enjoyed OotP book but the movie just left so much out and I know that you can't put everything from the book into the movie but some of what was left out, I think was very relevent to the whole story. Like what the prophecy actually said about Harry and Nevile. I think that they should have put the whole part in the movie.

But once we both look at the other movies again then we can continue this discussion. Agreed?

Thanks for the props on the banner :D
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

First things first... I, too, was so mad when I read the article about the date being changed. There were many rumors about it, from money to Daniel Radcliffe's nudity in the play Equus, which opened this month on Broadway. They said that the film was "on schedule," but that they decided to move it to July because there was no big blockbuster scheduled for release on that date. We all know that the summer time is when they put the HUGE movies out. Whatever the reason for the move, I don't really care, I'll go see it. It doesn't matter to me what the release date is.

My favorite is POA. I love the tension between Hermione and Ron, that awkward puberty stage. The Dementors were great, too! This is my favorite because it's where Harry learns more about his parents from one of their friends who knew who they really were, not just his aunt and uncle who had a slanted view of them because they hated them.

My second-favorite is GOF; this is where they form other friendships; this is the point in the story where everything changes- Voldemort comes back, and there is REAL fear, danger, and evil lurking for Harry; this is the whole reason for the story- the 3 previous films are just preparation for Voldy's return. This was the first HP movie I had seen, and I didn't quite understand what was going on; I hadn't read the books, so I didn't know they were a continuing story. This started my obsession with HP, so I had to watch the movies in order, then read the books to get the full story!

Man, OoTP was painful to watch- I HATE Umbridge! I thought the fight at the end was the best part of the movie- the special effects were awesome! It took me 4 months to read the book, though- again, because of Umbridge, I just couldn't read much at a time. I read the book after seeing the movie, and I must say, I was a little disappointed that they didn't cover more of the Prophecy in the movie! Geez, that is the most pivotal point in the story!!! We FINALLY learn what the connection is between H and V, and I felt like they just breezed right over it. The whole scene with Dumbledore and Harry after the fight was just tooooooo calm for me; Harry was in so much pain after losing Sirius!

I am looking forward to HBP! I loved the book, so I'm hoping that the movie is just as good.
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

As someone who has seen the initial cut of HBP, I can say that I like it better than OOTP... but that might be about it. There's a lot to live up to with HBP, and a lot of it was way different than I thought they would do it. Hopefully, in the time they have now until next summer, they will take some of the viewer feedback into consideration and change some things around. They have to know that this movie has to be perfect, especially after pissing off the fans so much.

Someone above just said that they didn't "connect" with OOTP. I agree with that statement completely - I don't know what it was, but it seemed like the heart was missing. I LOVED GOF (but that might have something to do with the fact that it's probably my favorite book.. maybe... so hard to choose!) the movie... I think it's because it "connects" with me. These are things that are hard to explain, but yall know how it feels. :)
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

^^I was me who said I didn't connect with OotP. It was on cable over the weekend & I tried to watch it but couldn't get into it until the end.

There is also another thread where we are discussing the books, I hope you & bluestarlight post there too because we all know that the movies vary so much from the books.

I was so looking forward to the HBP movie because it's my favorite book out of the series and the trailers were awesome so now I think that I'm really pissed and I think I may wait for the DVD. I haven't really decided yet on what to do.

I'm glad there are others here who like HP just as much as I do. :D
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I think that the first two HP movies were good. I didn't like the 3rd movie because it was too dark. I didn't like the 4th one because it focused too much on action and not enough on plot. And there was no Dobby! Then the fifth one was good, but again there was no Dobby and it left out Sirius' mirror which saves Harry and all of their lives in the 7th one, and there is no way you can cut out the Malfoy Manor scene. Uh-uh!!! And if nobody's seen Dobby, who's supposed to save them? Kreacher? Ugh, if they do not put Dobby in the 7th one I will be so ticked off--he died a hero's death and should be recognized.(as you can probably tell I really like Dobby)
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Debussygirl, I totally agree with you! It seems wise of them to be splitting DH into two movies- there is so much that happens, that I think the viewers would be severely cheated if they tried to fit it in a 2-1/2 hour movie! They left out key parts, too, with the other movies, and I feel that they will have alot of "filling in" to do with HBP and DH.

I also agree with the others who said they couldn't connect with OoTP and that it lacked heart. I felt the same way... it looked like it was missing something. I, too, had problems getting into it... I had to make myself watch it. I saw it twice in the theatre, and the second time made more sense to me.

I do have to say this, though...I don't think it's very fair of us to expect the writers to put things in the movie just because they are in the book. They have to take 1 year's worth of story and action and condense it into 2 1/2 hours and make it coherent, not just a string of events. We can't expect the movie to be a mirror image of the book- that is just impossible; if that were the case, we'd be on part 1 of GOF- lol! Besides, for those out there who have seen the movies but not read the books, maybe they'll be inspired to do so... like me!
RajaniArchana
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by RajaniArchana »

I loved all of the movies, TBH, and OoTP was my favorite. But I'll give my angles on each one.

GOF is my brother's favorite, and I've seen it three time. It's really epic even if it was shortened and I LOVE the connection of the wands, it look pretty neat. The only problems I had with GOF was that they cut all but one of Sirius's scenes, they made it totally obviouse that Fake!Moody was really Barty Courch v.2, and they nixed Winky, who I was kind of intrested in seeing.

POA...is a funny story. See, the movie was just coming out when I first got in Harry Potter, but I wasn't allowed to see the movies, so I'd come home from school every single day and watched TV for like, three hours just to see the trailers over and over again. So POA has a very, very special place in my heart. <3

Chamber of Secrets I loved, not just because of the Harry/Ginny stuff, but because it made a really nice transition from the lighter stuff in the beginning, to the darker stuff in the middle, and then back again.

Sorcerer's Stone i've only seen once, so my memory's dodgy, but I just lvoe how ****** cute and little they all are, especially Ron with his squeaky little voice. :D

Order of the Phoenix is another funny story...I found the final battle scene on the web and watched it and was just so freaking excited because I thought it looked unbelievably cool. I actually lvoed OotP 'cause a lot of the changes they made kind of gave Sirius more spotlight. I love the reunion scene between Harry and Sirius in the beginning, the scene with the Black tapestry after Christmas, and the scene in the trian station when Sirius goes to see Harry off. I think they really showed a lot more of the relationship between Harry and Sirius than the fifth book did, but whatever. I also thought Dan's acting deserved some sort of award, especially during the possession scene/Sirius's death, which is by far my favorite scene in the whole movie. The acting just...gah. Makes me want to cry when Harry's just screaming right after Sirius dies, and then the way he's making thsoe pained noises when he's possessed is just like...dude, I feel this kid's pain.

I love the movie cast, I really do; I think they picked the perfect people for every role (although I maintain that Viggo Mortenson would've played an excellent Sirius ;) ) HBP will be the first Harry Potter movie I'll see in theaters, and i can't wait. Bring on July!

Team Sirius: Because the greatest love is sacrifice
Team Garrett: Because true love is *electrifying*

Anzo/\Shisana--Jesse/Leslie--Harry&Ginny/\Ron&Hermione