Glee - the Television series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Glee - the Television series

Post by vampyre_princess »

Okay so I got into this after my mate said I should watch it to cheer myslef up after I was dumped and I love it!!
It reminds me of how I was in my secondary school (I was in our drama club... and everyone hated me) I got picked on.... for being in the drama club or for being smart!! So yeah I love this programme... I wasn't too keen on the guys' mash up of It's my life and Confessions.. I love It's my life by Bon Jovi!
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Yeah it can be hard when they do a song I love, but I would say except for Defying Gravity they did it justice. But of course in the show Kurt was singing most of it, so if Rachel sang all of it I think she could have made it amazing and just like she was on Broadway. Kurt definitely does not have a strong enough voice for big songs like Defying Gravity.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

I love Kurt..He is great..and I totally love Mr. Schuster!! At first I thought he was kind of geeky, but then I warmed up to him. The Glee soundtrack is my new best friend..I haven't gotten the second disc yet, but I will eventually. I LOVED when Puck did Sweet Caroline..and of course I love Don't Stop Believing..Some of the songs I had never heard before, but I fell in love with them when they were sang on the show.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

I love the original version of Don't stop believing... the Glee version is still good, but I will always love the original!
debussygirl wrote:Kurt definitely does not have a strong enough voice for big songs like Defying Gravity.
Yeah I totally agree, however much I love Kurt he really doesn't have a strong engough voice to do the big songs does he?
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Oh, I know I adore Kurt, but it's the truth. His voice just isn't mean for big Broadway songs like Rachel's is.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

You may wish to reserve judgment. I mean, how do we know he can't sing such songs? It's not like his character's been showcased with a song fit for his range.

Also, most people think "big Broadway song" = something a female would sing. It's true that Kurt's character sings in the higher range of the male voice, but that's kind of setting him up for failure if you expect him to belt out "Defying Gravity" and the like. Give him something more appropriate, then decide. Maybe something like "Why God Why?" from Miss Saigon or "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables.
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

Personally, I LOVED Kurt/Chris's version of Defying Gravity. I see where you guys are coming from, and his version isn't fit to be inserted into a production of Wicked, but as a single song, I thought it was fantastic. I bought it off of iTunes, in addition to the soundtracks I already had. I think if you listen to it just as a song standing alone, rather than a song in Elpheba's character, he doesn't sound so "out of place" singing it.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Um, actually I would consider a lot of "big Broadway songs" as being from a male, just as much as a female. "Big" doesn't mean "high" (and just think of his range and "Music of the Night" from Phantom, that would be beautiful). I just don't think his voice is powerful enough to carry out most traditional Broadway songs. It's not that it's bad, it's just...not in the right place there, I don't think.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

That's why I said "most," because there are typically more female solo songs than male. :)

I did consider "The Music of the Night" but originally it's quite low, lower than what we've heard from him, so I set it aside.

I'm rather hoping he gets a proper solo (or at least be the main singer in a) song when the show returns- as well as the rest of the cast we haven't heard sing lead yet.
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

^^I definitely want to see Tina take lead in a song. We haven't really heard her.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl