Remember Me movie discussion

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Remember Me movie discussion

Post by Amanda Beth »

I don't think you missed anything, it may have just been the background during the dramatic pauses.

I still agree w/ Roger Ebert's review. They ended it like a greek tragedy, nothing came out of it that wasn't already happening. One of my favorite books is My Sister's Keeper, and it does end in tragedy, but something very good comes out of it.
"Remember Me" tells a sweet enough love story, and tries to invest it with profound meaning by linking it to a coincidence. It doesn't work that way. People meet, maybe they fall in love, maybe they don't, maybe they're happy, maybe they're sad. That's life. If, let us say, a refrigerator falls out of a window and squishes one of them, that's life, too, but it's not a story many people want to see. We stand there looking at the blood seeping out from under the Kelvinator and ask with Peggy Lee, is that all there is?
If we invest in a film's characters, what happens to them should be intrinsically important to us. We don't require emotional reinforcement to be brought in from outside. The movie tries to borrow profound meaning, but succeeds only in upstaging itself so overwhelmingly that its characters become irrelevant.
st8girl
Settled in Forks

Post by st8girl »

I went and saw RM on Sat. I was really interested in seeing if Rob's acting could broaden out of the Edward character. As I think he embodies Edward perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised. There were a few moments in the movie that reminded me of 'Edward's' facial expressions. Thankfully I saw a few smiles and laughs in RM. It was a great story and I left a little teary eyed, but by the next morning, I decided I thought it ended well. Meaning, I felt like Tyler's life was getting back on track and he didn't die with all the anger inside. He was happy with his girlfriend, happy for his family, and starting to communicate with his father. You could see that as he made his joke on his way to the office that fateful day.

I enjoyed it. And why not...LOTS of Rob...Yummy!!! :D
vampirelover109
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by vampirelover109 »

omg just seen remember me amazing film i cant really say alot need time to gather my thoughts will post back shortly
team edward all the way
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

vampirelover - Thanks for coming over to this thread to discuss. I was wondering if you felt depressed at the ending. Were you shocked? Did you know anything about the ending before you saw the movie? I didn't. I was extremely shocked and unfortunately forgot all of the good things about the movie for a while. Rob is great as Tyler throughout, but then there is this great sadness when he dies.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I just saw Remember Me tonight.

First of all, I liked it. Quite a bit actually. I was very careful not to read any spoilers on the Lex, or the internet in general. But then I saw a synposis in the paper...it was only 2 lines of something, but it said that it was "a 9/11 tragety"...so I just knew that someone was going to be in the World Trade Centers :( So I was expecting the ending, which was a bit annoying as I would have prefered not to know. However even though I knew it was coming, and I just knew that when Tyler walked over to the window it was going to be September 11th, it still hit me like a ton of bricks. I was still like "what?? no they can't do that!". I was still very sad and bummed out afterwards :(

The stuff I really loved:
-Ally eating her deserts first! As well as finding this highly amusing at first, her reasoning for it completely makes sense because of what happened to her when she was younger.
-The relationship between Tyler & Caroline. Both Rob and Ruby played their parts so well that I honestly believed that they were siblings. I loved that they seemed so close and at ease with one another...they didn't have to hide any of their feelings, they could be honest. And she is only 11! She seemed very mature for her age. I really really liked her.
-Ally's character. I loved her. I can see why Tyler would fall in love with her! The scene with the water in the kitchen & then the shower was really great...funny and touching and hot all at once.

The part where Tyler throws the desk away from ther girl who is laughing at Ruby in the classroom made me gasp out loud. I proper brought my hand up over my mouth as I was so not expecting that. I actually thought he was going to hit the girl, and as much as it would be wrong...I was kinda hoping he did. The girls at the slumber party were disgusting...this part of the movie made me almost as upset as the ending.

A wee note on Rob's acting. The way he portrayed all the emotions in this movie...sadness, hurt, anger, joy...all of them were done wonderfully in my opinion. For example, when he storms into his dads office to demand why he wasn't coming to the art show made me shiver. As much as people will slate this movie just cos it is a Robert Pattinson movie, I thought it was well written & made, and that all the cast (including Rob!) done an excellent job in telling this story. I would have liked it whether or not I was a Twilight fan!

Caryn - Thanks for posting that article on what the cast thought of the ending. I agree; I'm glad that the kept the ending the same. It has a great effect, but I think that it makes the movie...even though I still wish that they hadn't killed him; but I can see why they had to. What Emile de Ravin says ("But it's such an important part of history and I think everyone's going to have a completely different opinion because everyone has a different experience, whether they were involved or know somebody involved. Everyone remembers exactly where they were when they heard about it") is so true. And it kinda makes my heart ache.

I will try and post more of what I think after I've had a bit more time to think about the movie.
Catch you later.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
newtonscricket
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by newtonscricket »

Thanks for telling us your thoughts Jaclyn. The quietude of this thread has been killing me! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to have a strong reaction to the classroom scene. It's so shocking, I'm surprised I never see it mentioned anywhere. I think the end shocks it right out of people's heads.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

NewJen - Yeah I expected there to be TONS of pages on this thread...but nope, there is very little! Bit strange I thought? I agree that maybe the ending is so "woah!" that people are only thinking about the ending when they think of their thoughts of the film?

Another scene I wanted to say was really powerful is the beginning where Ally's mother gets shot. I knew something was going to happen, but once the men had robbed her I thought maybe that was it...when they shot her I was very shocked and upset. I don't understand why they had to kill her? And what Ally must have been going through....it really doesn't bear thinking about!

So after thinking about this movie for a day or two, I have realised it really did have some excellent parts! Right from the shocking "I-can't-believe-that-happened" scenes to the very sweet love story. So once again, I really think that this movie is pretty great!! :D
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Jaclyn & NewJen~ I'm totally with you on the classroom scene. I have to admit, I read the script before going to see the film, so I sort of knew what to expect. But, that's the great thing about fantastic actors like Rob and Pierce and Chris and Emily. Even when you knwo what to expect, the way they bring it to life is just amazing. The classroom scene is no different. I was just completel... :o But, at the same time, you because you get to know Tyler so well, you know he's not actually going to take things too far. So, it's shocking, but, to me at least, not frighteningly so. Someone had to knock that girl down a peg or two, had to put a mirror up to her and let her know that she wasn't the biggest and baddest in the room. I love Tyler so much for doing that. And, so did Caroline. That little hint of smile on her face after that just makes me smile.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

YES!!! its finally out here in the uk ive seen it twice now cried both times so did my mate who came with me both times, it was quite simply amazing!!!!!!!!!i've heard some people scoff at it (i had to turn around and yell at a guy during our Remember me saturday April 3rd :lol: ) and say that it was rubbish but to be honest they clearly just did not have the depth of personality to understand the film! :lol: it was amazing seriously!! Robs acting was astounding he totally pulled it off, Ruby Jerrins was awesome to she was totally the star, i really like that film made you think! this actually happened to people they lost loved ones, and even though i knew Tyler died i wasn't sure exactly how this came about although i did know it was linked to 9/11 so when he said he was meeting his dad at his office i knew the impending doom was coming, so from that point on i was bawling my eyes out :lol: 3days on from my last viewing of it and im still kind of speechless, i'll say it again though..... amazing!
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

Jazz Girl wrote: The classroom scene is no different. I was just completel... :o But, at the same time, you because you get to know Tyler so well, you know he's not actually going to take things too far. So, it's shocking, but, to me at least, not frighteningly so. Someone had to knock that girl down a peg or two, had to put a mirror up to her and let her know that she wasn't the biggest and baddest in the room. I love Tyler so much for doing that. And, so did Caroline. That little hint of smile on her face after that just makes me smile.
yes me too loved this bit of the film someone had to show this girl that attacking other people is not the way to go and you knew that tyler would not do anything malicious, as in he wouldn't go overboard he would just make his point
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**