Actor-based discussion regarding the Twilight Saga cast

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Re: Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen #12

Post by G-Faerie08 »

Yay. I am the newest post since the transfer of threads and now my serious posts won't get lost in a pile of nonsense :lol:

Okay, so I read a comment on a website where they were talking about Rob and his acting ability. They said that in Twilight, his acting sucked @$$ (this is not a direct quote) I wouldn't say that his acting was terrible necessarily, but I definitely think that he was trying too hard to be the "unbelievably attractive" vampire. We all know how Edward's character is supposed to be, but I kind of do think that maybe Rob did try toooo hard to achieve a great performance. No doubt, I love Rob and I think he is a great actor, but for the first film at least, I think overthinking and nerves got the best of him and inhibited his talent. I am sure we have all seen many of his othe films, so we know that he is a good actor, but with Twilight, there was just a lot of pressure on everyone to bring the characters to life..I can definitely see where it would be difficult for the people who take on roles of characters based on novels because with so many people already knowing the character and how they are supposed to be, there is a lot of added pressure for the actor to "get it right" as many have said before in regards to Twilight. Its not the same as a fresh screenplay that is not based on a book or play.

Hopefully with the next films, Rob and Kristen will be more comfortable with their roles and therefore make the portrayal/acting come more naturally. (Booyah!! How is that for a serious, Rob-related post!! Holla!) :)
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I completely agree. Of course we all love Rob and him being absolutely gorgeous makes up for a lot but there were a few scenes where it just felt forced and unreal. The same goes for Kristen. For the most part everyone did a good job but just a few times it seemed like they were uncomfortable. I can imagine though the pressure he was under though to get this character, that millions of fans were already enamored with, perfect. I'm hoping that by the next movie they will be more comfortable in their roles and with each other.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Playing 'the most attractive guy' is some pretty big shoes to fill.
But I do agree that for a lot of the movie, he was trying a wee bit too hard..
I understand that there was a lot of pressure, and I find that he handled it well.

Maybe since he ain't in New Moon a lot.. he'll calm down a bit.. and hopefully use that time to get more comfortable.
and the pressure isn't just on him this time around.. now that Taylors come into the picture, the pressure should ease off Rob a tad. And Kristen has a lot more pressure put on her too.. we all want her to do a good job of Bellas depression and whatnot.
Unfortunately Robs still got all the pressure from all the little screaming teens, which won't go away in a hurry. :lol:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
CastMeNotAway
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by CastMeNotAway »

Wow... I haven't been on here in MONTHS! *waves enthusiastically to everyone, both old and new* I'll have to check out the new thread too :D

But back on topic: I really feel like both Rob and Kristen will do an even better job in NM because, like some of you have pointed out, they've had time to get more comfortable with their roles. It was almost like Rob was trying TOO hard at some points during Twilight (whereas I feel Kristen was the opposite!) but I think that now they've had a chance to get used to their characters and all the hype surrounding them, they'll be able to be more comfortable with what they're doing and find a great balance!
Sig by me, icon by wwonder at LJ ~ 9/11/07 & 11/15/08 <3 ~ Official "Innocent Bystander" of the Robnapping Crew!
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

First post ever on this thread...*waves to everyone too*.
I do agree that Rob was trying a bit too hard. He looked amazing in the movie. Totally gorgeous :lol: And who wouldn't be a bit nervous to bring the one and only Edward Cullen to life? The image of perfection. The most beautiful person in the universe, not only in looks but in personality as well. His flawlessness is stated on every other page of the saga. So with that in mind, I think Rob did a good job. The only moment I really found his acting forced/fake was when Bella walked into biology for the first time, and he looked like he was going to vomit. In my imagination, Edward wouldn't look like that... But for me Rob was a highlight in the movie.
But I also think that all of them will do better in the next movie. They have more experience and they have gotten to know each other better so they'll probably have a great chemistry. And I think Rob will do a great job in NM. I'm especially looking forward to seeing him during the leaving scene.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
rjupiter
Learning to Love Green

Post by rjupiter »

also lets take into account that he was working within the confines of a very weak script and a somewhat inexperienced director. even so called "brilliant" actors have been in movies/roles that made people question their acting "talent".
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

G-Faerie08 wrote:Yay. I am the newest post since the transfer of threads and now my serious posts won't get lost in a pile of nonsense :lol:

Okay, so I read a comment on a website where they were talking about Rob and his acting ability. They said that in Twilight, his acting sucked @$$ (this is not a direct quote) I wouldn't say that his acting was terrible necessarily, but I definitely think that he was trying too hard to be the "unbelievably attractive" vampire. We all know how Edward's character is supposed to be, but I kind of do think that maybe Rob did try toooo hard to achieve a great performance. No doubt, I love Rob and I think he is a great actor, but for the first film at least, I think overthinking and nerves got the best of him and inhibited his talent. I am sure we have all seen many of his othe films, so we know that he is a good actor, but with Twilight, there was just a lot of pressure on everyone to bring the characters to life..I can definitely see where it would be difficult for the people who take on roles of characters based on novels because with so many people already knowing the character and how they are supposed to be, there is a lot of added pressure for the actor to "get it right" as many have said before in regards to Twilight. Its not the same as a fresh screenplay that is not based on a book or play.

Hopefully with the next films, Rob and Kristen will be more comfortable with their roles and therefore make the portrayal/acting come more naturally. (Booyah!! How is that for a serious, Rob-related post!! Holla!) :)
OMG so on topic!!

I absolutely get what you are saying about Robward in Twilight. The first time I saw it I was highly disappointed. Not because Rob didn't look right to me... but there did seem to be a level of Edward's elegance missing. The ultimate trifecta of pressure, a script that (to me) seemed to be missing something, and CH in general kind of conspired to make it nearly impossible for Rob to be The Edward We Wanted Him to Be.

The more I watched it, though, the more I saw the real subtle bits of Edward that Rob really brought thru. The moment in the greenhouse when Bella trips? Totally Edward.

I agree with Dovre, though... that moment when Bella walked into Bio was utter crap. Edward would NEVER have grabbed his nose and even if he did... it would have been so fast we (Bella) never would have seen it.

And I can't wait to see him all tormented in the alley in Volterra. Dark Edward is when Rob shines.

Image Image Image
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

akire wrote: I absolutely get what you are saying about Robward in Twilight. The first time I saw it I was highly disappointed. Not because Rob didn't look right to me... but there did seem to be a level of Edward's elegance missing. The ultimate trifecta of pressure, a script that (to me) seemed to be missing something, and CH in general kind of conspired to make it nearly impossible for Rob to be The Edward We Wanted Him to Be.

The more I watched it, though, the more I saw the real subtle bits of Edward that Rob really brought thru. The moment in the greenhouse when Bella trips? Totally Edward.

I agree with Dovre, though... that moment when Bella walked into Bio was utter crap. Edward would NEVER have grabbed his nose and even if he did... it would have been so fast we (Bella) never would have seen it.

And I can't wait to see him all tormented in the alley in Volterra. Dark Edward is when Rob shines.
Another scene where I think that he actually did well was the bedroom scene. That was where I really saw Edward shine through..But I do agree with what you said that there was a "level of elegance" missing in some parts.

I can't wait to see the Italy scene either..but somehow I feel that Rob is going to overplay the dramatics a little.
twilightsagaaddict
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

Hi all!

I am in total agreement with you guys about Robward in TW. I think most of the fault lies with CH who wanted the "indy" feel throughout the movie..(grrrrr! :evil: ). The Biology scene totally set me off-it would have been much more effective if the reaction was more subtle, which is more in character with Edward and I can completely see Rob pulling that off.

I'm hoping with CW doing NM, and the depth/darkness of the story, that Rob's true acting abilities will be able to shine.
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

G-Faerie08 wrote: Another scene where I think that he actually did well was the bedroom scene. That was where I really saw Edward shine through..But I do agree with what you said that there was a "level of elegance" missing in some parts.
I agree with you about the bedroom scene. The kiss was the slowest kiss I've ever seen :lol: Totally Edward. And after he jumped away from her and is up against the wall. That look in his eyes and his face, is amazing. He looks so much like I imagined Edward right there that my jaw almost dropped when I saw it.
twilightsagaaddict wrote: I'm hoping with CW doing NM, and the depth/darkness of the story, that Rob's true acting abilities will be able to shine.
I truly believe that this is Rob's moment to shine. I think he will pull off the leaving scene very well and Italy as well. He has this look that makes him well suited to play the emotional scenes. And I love his voice in the movie, so he can express a lot of emotion with that. It must be difficult for him though, putting on an american accent and pulling off a velvet voice.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~