Actor-based discussion regarding the Twilight Saga cast

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen #12

Post by marielle »

Jazz Girl wrote:Is Robert's performance of Edward better in Twilight or in New Moon? Why?
I do agree that he was good from the beginning, but I think the whole cast including Rob stepped it up in New Moon.
It didn't look so awkward...
Specially the kissing scenes and loving scenes between Rob and Kris looked more real...( I could guess the reason behind that :twisted: )
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Is Robert's performance of Edward better in Twilight or in New Moon? Why?
I feel a bit biased in answering this question, beccause I was awfully disappointed with Twilight. It has grown on me to an extent, though, but it will never be what I expected.
But one thing I did love about Twilight was Rob. He was the highlight.

I still think that he did a better job in New Moon. And it's not his fault that the performance in Twilight wasn't all I wanted it to be. Like Caryn said, I think he was victim to some bad directing and script in Twilight, and he did the best he could with what he was dealt. And in some scenes he was perfect there too.
But in New Moon he totally owned the part. You could tell that he was confident in what he was doing. I also think that he enjoyed playing that version of Edward. He did the emotional scenes so well, and he was given the opportunity to shine in the part. So in New Moon, I think he played Edward to perfection.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
TeAm_EdWaRd
Wandering Through Town

Post by TeAm_EdWaRd »

So many people were/are disappointed by Twilight (the movie). I so wish they would shoot it again (and make it as similar to the book as possible)! LOL :lol:
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by swedishskinjer »

I absolutely LOVED the Twilight movie. Maybe it's because I've been a fan of Catherine's style since Thirteen.
twilightnewbie
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightnewbie »

Dovrebanen wrote:
DarkMuse wrote:I can't decide between the "it wouldn't be like drinking your blood, for instance" line and the meadow. They were both just...wrong.
It must have killed Rob to say that line.... Edward would never in a million years have said something like that. He was ashamed of his nature. He would have said that he craved her blood and that he was more dangerous to her than to anyone... But never something like that. And certainly not at that point in their relationship.
The "personal brand of heroine" line in Twilight also made me cringe. It was just in there to be there...They didn't make it significant, IMO. And why did the man have to be in the trees all the time?? He should be laying down next to Bella, with her touching his arm and face...
About the "personal brand of heroin" line in Twilight: It made me sort of cringe also, but it didn't have to. For some reason Melissa flipped this dialogue from the Book. In the Book, it is Bella who asks Edward something like "you mean like some kind of heroin" in response to Edward describing how he craves her blood, the conversation flows better that way and is not cheesy at all. But to just point out something, your spelling of "heroine" gives a whole new meaning to that quote! :lol:
Her blood entices
Out of dangerous desire
A thirsting for love
DarkMuse
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion
Location: In 'The Corner' of Rob's Halfway House mumbling about cookies and unicorns.

Post by DarkMuse »

twilightnewbie - I just read that part again while I was stuck "babysitting" this tech guy at work (long story). I thought it sounded cheesy in the movie. Melissa totally stuck it in there just because it's a lot of peoples' favorite line. Or one of them I mean. Stephenie made her put certain lines in it (lion and lamb, for example) because she knows which ones fans love most, but dingbat Melissa didn't bother using anything else that was said before or after, so they seem forced or something. Anyway, here is what was really said in the book:

So what you’re saying is, I’m your brand of heroin?
Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 13, p.267

Yes, you are exactly my brand of heroin.
Edward Cullen, Twilight, Chapter 13, p.268

Thank God for the Twilight (Saga) quotes website. Always helps when I need to know something and don't have the books on me. Lol.

I understand why they put 2 scenes from the book together for the Meadow, but it still irks me. They rushed the romance. Rob and Kristen did what they could with what they were given, but it would have been so much better if they were given more time.

Kinda got off topic, so I'm gonna ask some questions now. What do you all think of Robward's physical appearance (clothes, makeup, contacts, etc) in New Moon compared to Twilight? Do you think it helped or hindered his performance in any way?

I personally like it better in New Moon. They seem to have gotten the makeup right this time. His clothes were a little odd like at the beginning with that coat and again in Alice's vision, but I liked his outfit when he first arrived at school and was walking toward Bella. *sigh* Lol. His contacts looked better too. I know he hates wearing them but I wonder if they felt any better than the ones from Twilight. I don't recall hearing anyone ask about them in interviews this time around.
Rob's Halfway House Resident » Cullenist » HHBS Member » Monkey Junkie
╰☆╮ Nikki is the TomStu to my Rob ╰☆╮
twilightnewbie
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightnewbie »

DarkMuse wrote:
I understand why they put 2 scenes from the book together for the Meadow, but it still irks me. They rushed the romance. Rob and Kristen did what they could with what they were given, but it would have been so much better if they were given more time.

Dark Muse you are so right. On your first point though, I really liked the forest scene where Rob's vampire nature is revealed, if you go back and look at the book, a lot of this dialogue took place under more mundane settings (I believe a lot was in the car ride back from the meadow or restaurant scenes, I can't remember exactly just now). And we all blasted ad infinitem the shabby treatment the Meadow Scene got, no redeeming qualities there. Regarding your second point, the ultimate irony is that New Moon got what Twilight should have gotten better, the romance between them. It goes back to a quote from Catherine about the pacing of the Twilight film, the necessity to "keep the action flowing". Just when an intimate scene between Edward and Bella was developing, she would cut away.

Kinda got off topic, so I'm gonna ask some questions now. What do you all think of Robward's physical appearance (clothes, makeup, contacts, etc) in New Moon compared to Twilight? Do you think it helped or hindered his performance in any way?

I personally like it better in New Moon. They seem to have gotten the makeup right this time. His clothes were a little odd like at the beginning with that coat and again in Alice's vision, but I liked his outfit when he first arrived at school and was walking toward Bella. *sigh* Lol. His contacts looked better too. I know he hates wearing them but I wonder if they felt any better than the ones from Twilight. I don't recall hearing anyone ask about them in interviews this time around.

Overall makeup was better, but for me the gold contacts were too pronounced in New Moon, I think they were more "believable" in Twilight, I don't know if Cullen's could have passed for human with those eyes in New Moon. But at least in New Moon I didn't ever see edges of the contacts like you could a couple of times in Twilight.
Twilightnewbie
Her blood entices
Out of dangerous desire
A thirsting for love
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

twilightnewbie wrote:
DarkMuse wrote:Kinda got off topic, so I'm gonna ask some questions now. What do you all think of Robward's physical appearance (clothes, makeup, contacts, etc) in New Moon compared to Twilight? Do you think it helped or hindered his performance in any way?

Overall makeup was better, but for me the gold contacts were too pronounced in New Moon, I think they were more "believable" in Twilight, I don't know if Cullen's could have passed for human with those eyes in New Moon. But at least in New Moon I didn't ever see edges of the contacts like you could a couple of times in Twilight.[/color]
Twilightnewbie[/quote]

Newbie~ I tend to agree. They havent' found the happy medium. To me, the red contacts of the "nonveggies" ie James, Victoriea, Laurent, Volturi, were much better done in New Moon. It makes them completely evil looking. In Twilight, you could barely see the red on James and the gang. But, New Moon, I think captures what is described in the book, shows exactly how definitive the difference is.

But, in Twilight, I think they got the subtle color more correct, particularly with Rob. The edges, however, were because CW was shooting with a camera up his nose. That woman does not get subtle. Like you said, the glowing gold eyes would make it a little more difficult to blend. But, I could also see why they made them as bright as they did.

What they completely fracked up on was the LACK of black in the Volturi scene. His eyes are suppposed to be black because he hasn't fed. They did put the dark circles in. Those are obvious. But, his eyes should NOT have been golden.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Since I watched the movie first not by choice before I read the book. I thought he was a good actor. After reading of course the whole series I look at him now and think wow he is amazing. He nailed it with his smirks and smiles in Twilight when he was making jokes only he would understand. In new moon you can feel the pain in his expression.
Banner by TammyAZ
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Rob in Twilight vs New Moon
Is Robert's performance of Edward better in Twilight or in New Moon? Why?
I feel a bit biased in answering this question, beccause I was awfully disappointed with Twilight. It has grown on me to an extent, though, but it will never be what I expected.
But one thing I did love about Twilight was Rob. He was the highlight.
Trine

As someone who did not see or hear about Rob, I think he nailed it in Twilight and only grew more as in the book he does in New Moon. I thought Rob brought out the pain in his face, the quirky humor that I laugh out loud in the theater, the unsure of what is going on. Rob nailed it perfectly and that sparked my interest in him. It was only later seeing him in interviews how different he was to Edward in real life and you just can't fake that like a lot of younger star could have tried. I totally agree with the script and the charactor development in Twilight, if you had not read the book Edward and his looks and mannerism was horribly panned by the critics. Not Rob's fault, the critics didn't read the book but mostly a movie should be able to stand on its own without reading the book. New Moon succeeded in bring out Edward to the screen and in turn Rob was familar and nailed it again. I can't wait till Eclipse and can only say if I didn't think he acted very well I would not have http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/ today or be such a fan.
The director ruined Twilight and when the series is finished it will be something different. Most sequels are not as good as the first, except HP but they usually don't have that punch that the first has, this series the punches are getting bigger.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001