Has Twilight affected your reading habits?

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Has Twilight affected your reading habits?

Post by LilyMorgana »

It has affected both my reading habits and my buying habits. :)
I used to read a lot as a child but then at some point I became too old to read typical children's books but I was still too young to get the adult books. Of course there are a lot of books for teenagers but these weren't really present in the local library. (It's saddening how little books they have.) So I sort of gave up on reading and threw myself on the internet. :lol: That's where I discovered Twilight and since the library doesn't have Twilight I had to buy the books which I normally rarely did.
Anyway, now I'm back to reading. I remember why I used to love it so much.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
Amo
Settled in Forks

Post by Amo »

It made me want to read more books by authors that I already like, but have only read a few by.
Well...things by McCaffery and Anthony...have such a different writing style, one that I prefer, because it requires so much more analysis that Twilight does, because Twilight is relatively simple in it's messages and doesn't require much thinking to decide what it's about. Bella and Edward.
YA books today seem to be so different from books of the 80s and 90s and...well, anything before that. It's quite interesting how the way books sound change.
What on earth does fornification under consent of king have to do with this? Twilight.
xxsparklyvampiresxx
Wandering Through Town

Post by xxsparklyvampiresxx »

I used to read more books for teens. Now other books seem to have no point, compared to the Twilight saga.
I RUN WITH VAMPIRES! ^_^
Team Edward, Now and Forever!
Beautiful Peacock
Settled in Forks

Post by Beautiful Peacock »

Hm, I guess. After I bought the series I had to get myself a new bookcase, so I bought one in black to match the covers. Now I can only buy black covered books which is a bit frustrating when I find books I want to read that aren't black... Oh well...
garnetpixie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by garnetpixie »

I didn't have so many teen vampire novels as a teen, so now I'm playing catch up with Amelia Alther-Rhodes In the Forsts of Night and all the other books. I started the "Vampire Acadamy" book and shut it at the end of the first page...it was awful! I use to read Anne Rice like I do Twilight now, but I haven't been able to find my books. They're in a box in the garage. I've started writing, which is wonderful, and now I don't want to read much. I do keep my eye out for intresting vampire fiction. I want to read The Host.
EDC Bulldozer Operator
Privet Violet Rosario of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Pensatori Ghiacciati, Go blue!
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn...

J<3B
JaliceAlsper
Settled in Forks

Post by JaliceAlsper »

I was never as interested in books before I read Twilight. Well, not as interested. It's hard to find a book of my liking these days :roll:. Although now I prefer books about vampires, romance, and fantasy...
garnetpixie wrote:I started the "Vampire Acadamy" book and shut it at the end of the first page...it was awful!
I just finished "Vampire Academy" a couple of days ago, and the second book, "Frostbite," today. It's not as great as Twilight, but I wouldn't say that it was awful; it was actually quite good. Maybe boring in the beginning, but it gets better. I think you should continue reading it :).
Edward who? Team Jasper!
ariake76
Wandering Through Town

Post by ariake76 »

I hope I don't get flamed for saying this, but if you had told me a year ago that I would soon be a wild fan of a young-adult vampire series I would have laughed my butt off. I read and enjoyed "Interview with the Vampire" in high school but beyond that, forget it. Way too many bad experiences with amateur vampire fiction. How many ways can you say "cliche'"?

Last year I noticed I wasn't enjoying reading anywhere near as much as I used to and I decided it was because I had this long list of literary novels I felt like I "had" to read to make myself a smarter, better person. So I decided to make a radical change, and in a gleeful sort of way I thought, heck, I'll go all the way in the other direction and read this teenage vampire book!

The series really has changed the way I look at fiction. I still totally enjoy books that are "smart" (The God of Small Things, for example, was incredible). But I will never again think it's good enough to write a book that impresses people with how clever you are if they have to slog through it and are thankful when it's over. After tons of undergrad English classes I had forgotten that fiction can be gripping and mesmerizing and visceral. It just goes to show that there's never a genre or a category that you're just across-the-board going to *hate*. A good story is a good story, whether it's romance or literary or sci-fi, or, uh, vampire.
Yes, my husband's last two names really are Edward Coleman. But his first name is Mike.
TeamEdward1918
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Wandering outside Forks looking for a certain house...

Post by TeamEdward1918 »

Slightly, lol..
I never read anything before. Only HP actually, and even then, it woud take me weeks to finally finish a book. But now I read every single day (I'm on New Moon again) :mrgreen:
I am a Twilighter with OCD
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side"
E<3B
Edward Cullen: Volvos Never Looked So Good
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

i think that will happen to me because i'm reading eclipse and soon to be on breaking dawn and then idk what series i'ma read next..
x. Jessica-Louise .x
Lusting for Blood

Post by x. Jessica-Louise .x »

Well I'd never read any books about vampires before twilight and now I can't get enough of them. I've recently brought the first book in the black dagger brotherhood series and the first book in the house of night series. I've always read loads though so that hasn't changed, just my obsession with reading about vampires! :D
Edward, Eммεтт, Jasper, Seth, Ian, Jared,
Dιмιтrι, Mason, Peeta, Rhage, Heath, Erik,
Stark, Dαмεη...Boys in books are just вεттεя