Stephenie Meyer's Writing Style

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Stephenie Meyer's Writing Style

Post by Nena »

Discuss SM's writing style here.
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Stephenie Meyer's Writing Style

Post by museicalking »

yay! new thread.

ok. well... i dont know where to begin!
example: i cant think of any other author that would be able to transform this plot and story line to something as captivating as SM did. at first, it sounds weird and though you keep thinking that, you keep reading and fall in love with the characters!

its just different from other authors.
vivd description.
everything is in depth, but its not tooo much, get it?
its just enough to keep a lingering thought but not mad about not getting enough information....

did i get things started?
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

Hmm...I guess I'll base my opinion on her use of vocabulary. :) throughout the saga, I noticed a consistancy in the words:

-chagrin
-grimaced
-cringed
-smoldering (sp?)
-scrutinised
-crushed (when used to describe them kissing, so I assume she wants it to come off as either passionate or aggressive?)

She always uses a lot of repitition here and there whenever she wants to emphasize something.

Ex: All it took was a second for her scent to blow in my direction, a second for my thoughts to scatter...etc.
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

i realy like her writing style, even though i'm used to reading in more complicated styles i love the simplicity of it.
don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's not as good as some of the complex writers just that it is wrote in a simpilar way.
there is alot of focus on the look and stuff of the characters wheras most authors (that i've come accross) focus more on the surroundings.
i feel that the host was written better but that twilight was something completely new and brilliant!!

i'm so glad she didn't forget that dream!!!
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

SM's style is simple and easy. She is not flowery and over-much in her prose. Things are stated in their plainest forms which allows the reader to enjoy the story instead of running to the dictionary over every word written.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

navarre wrote:SM's style is simple and easy. She is not flowery and over-much in her prose. Things are stated in their plainest forms which allows the reader to enjoy the story instead of running to the dictionary over every word written.
I agree. That's what makes her an amazing writer.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

i love it because she describes things alot in detail
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

I agree with Navarre: SM has fairly basic diction. She isn't too flowery in her prose. And that's definitely a good thing. Imagine this storyline coupled with nothing but the overuse of adverbs and compound sentences.

I feel like this is the way she talks (although I could be wrong; I don't think I've ever actually heard her speak before). Some writers write like they talk. And even if this isn't how she talks then it's how someone talks. It's very indicative of a dialog-like style. It's nice it goes well with the narrative.

She also does a great job with her descriptions. I know they're long - and others have knocked her for it - but I can really see the things as they happen in the Saga. There are other books that I love where that simply isn't the case. Some are good story tellers, but that's where it ends. SM can write a book that draws on all the sensory receptors. I can smell Edward (like ice and Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Eucalyptus Spearmint - for real - try it sometime :geek: ). I can feel that tingling and pulsating of Bella's nerves as she's hunted down over and over again. I can here her truck, their voices (and Edward is still talking in a British accent, I don't know why. This was even before Rob was cast so... Yo no se :? ).

I can see Charlie's house (I could draw a layout), I can see the Cullen property, La Push, Forks High, the Markses yard wear she first sees her and Jake's bike, Volterra :twisted: -- I can see all of it. And maybe it's not what SM sees (more than likely it isn't) but being able to convey these concepts to a reader is, in my opinion, the mark of a good writer.
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I too like her style. When I tell some people that I love Twilight they'll tell me they tried to read & didn't like her writing style or something like that. And I presonally don't get it. To me its just any easy read that anyone can read, it's written from a 17 year old girls perspective for pete's sake. A lot of what Bella is thinking & feeling is very relateable and you can see a teenage girl thinking or feeling that way. Sure it's different than most things I've read but I LOVE IT. I don't care what anyone says. I think I have found a new favorite author (I'll read anything she puts out there) and I LOVE the story and these characters that she's created.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

I honestly couldn't tell you what it is I like about Stephenie's writing. If I read a book about Edward and Bella that was written differently I would probably hate it. But then if a book written in a similar style had a different emphasis I probably wouldn't like it much either. I think it's the way it meshes. When reading it you really feel like Bella is a friend over at your house telling you about something that happened to her. It's very reminiscent of sitting on the couch with a bowl of popcorn dishing over cute guys. Which in a different book would annoy me. In general I like my stories convoluted and the writing to challenge me intellectually, but this is great dramatic fluffy bed-time reading and the world needs more of it.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.