Edward Cullen bringing sexy back since 1901 -- Team Edward#3

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Edward Cullen bringing sexy back since 1901 -- Team Edward#3

Post by Angelvamp »

Dovrebanen wrote:Hi, Angelvamp! Welcome to Team Edward! Of course it's ok for you to post here. PM Sam if you ever want to jump off the fence and join us :D
Thanks for the welcome! And for letting me know how to join Team Edward. Apologies, but I am REALLY new to posting and such, let me know if I do something dumb please. I won't be offended. :)
Dovrebanen wrote:I think if Edward made it past his first years without Bella and he watched Renesmee grow up to be as beautiful and loving as her mother, he would have chosen to stay with her even after she was a grown up. She would always need him in some way, and therefore he would be there for her.
I think you are spot on about this. Just because you're a grown up, doesn't mean you don't need your Daddy sometimes. ;)
Angelvamp wrote:And he's always asking her what she's thinking (and really wants to know)! Seriously, girls, when was the last time your husband/boyfriend asked that? That's some good melt-y stuff right there.
Dovrebanen wrote:Haha..mine never has, as far as I can remember :lol:
Mine neither! :lol: I'm trying to get him to read Twilight so he can get some tips from Edward...so far, losing battle.
Dovrebanen wrote:But I also think that Edward would want to join the war because of the kind of person he is. I think he felt useless sitting at home while his fellow countrymen and others were doing in the war. I think he wanted to help those he could, and try to bring some justice and moral into the war.
That's a good point. I don't think his morality changed much after he became a vampire. And he was young and idealistic, with the I'm-indestructible complex most teenage boys seem to have. It is interesting to contemplate his father, though, and how much of an impact he had on Edward's personality and beliefs.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
JenTheWriter
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by JenTheWriter »

Welcome to the Team Edward MB, Angelvamp! I think it's wholly awesome you jumped right in and began answering questions. And, no, we don't hang people by their toes if they are on the fence. There is nothing wrong with enjoying both sides of the Edward/Jacob debate.

As far as Edward proving whether or not he'd save Bella/Renesmee in BD ... I think he saved Renesmee out of sheer drive toward completing what Bella wanted him to do, and he had grown to care about Renesmee as well. But I don't mean in the birth setting. I mean in any setting in the future where Bella and Renesmee are both put in great peril -- one lives, one dies. Who does he choose? It's not as simple as the birth scene because there was really no chance of it getting to that point of no return. Carlisle had said Esme was all but dead when he changed her. It was just a matter of her heart continuing to beat until the venom was placed inside of her body (Bella's). There was always that -- she'll make it -- in the back of his mind.

But the situation I was posing was one of someone -will- die. Who does Edward choose? It could be today, tomorrow or 100s years from now. He loves them both dearly -- but who does he choose?
"And if you ever kiss her again, I will break your jaw for her," he promised.
Team Edward, Alice and Cullen! Swoonist. Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3's brain twin!
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Welcome Angelvamp :D

So I have a question to ponder. If Edward had been born in a different time period, say like the 60's or 70's do you think he'd still be the wonderful, sweet, romantic, unselfish gentleman that he is? The reason I say those decades is because it was kind of a time of rebellion, and new values started emerging here in the USA.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

If Edward had been born in a different time period, say like the 60's or 70's do you think he'd still be the wonderful, sweet, romantic, unselfish gentleman that he is? That's really hard for me because I think that a lot of who a person becomes is based off of how they were raised. For that part he should be the same person if Elizabeth was the same. Of course, during this time they did raise them properly too, and everything went crazy. So I think he would be the same essentially, just with a bit of a wilder side too, he'd be a lot less reserved but still courteous.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Time does not make the person. Edward could be born at any time and he would still possess the same qualities that he was born with. Everrybody conforms to their enviroment but if Edward was a good person when he was born in 1901 I do not see that same person losing that inner soul just because of the era. He might have gone longer than 10 yrs after he turned, but he still would be himself. I see Edward's interest and hobbies maybe different, based on the time period but he went through all of decades and fads and he picked up on driving fast cars and when he was born they didn't have fast cars.
So I think Edward as a person would be the same, being an over protective cautious worrier, he would still strive for perfection in everything that he does, and never gives himself the credit for what he accomplishes. If Edward could go through the change of becoming a vampire and retaining his good decent qualities and take on the special trait of being able to hear what people are thinking. Edward would still be the man he is no matter when or where he was born.

I would like to know why Edward is able to hear other people's thoughts.
My idea is that when he was human he was very intuitive young man,
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

Hey hey :]

So, I'm not entirely new to this thread, I just haven't posted in a really really really REALLY long time :oops: sorry! but now that school is over, and the buzz of just getting into summer break and spending most of my time with friends is wearing off, I have more time to lurk on threads other than my randomness. So, if you all will have me I'd like to join. again! haha.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I would like to know why Edward is able to hear other people's thoughts. I think he was able to read people very well before. He could see their expression and tone and translate that into what they were thinking at the time.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

If Edward had been born in a different time period, say like the 60's or 70's do you think he'd still be the wonderful, sweet, romantic, unselfish gentleman that he is? This seems like a nature vs nurture question (psych 101 anyone?). People would like to think that he would have the exactly the same values and personality traits, but I don't think so. There are some qualities that would remain the same, like his unselfishness and desire to do good, but I don't think he would be the gentleman that he is. This kind of behavior is learned, not innate. Granted, there are a lot of people out there who deviate from the way that they were raised. And I'm not saying that people didn't raise their kids "properly" (also, what does that mean?) in the 60's or 70's, merely that societal values were altering. For the most part, I really don't even see them altering all that much. However, with the technology explosion in the 60's, 70's and 80's, I can see a disturbing apathetic trend happening. People seem to be getting de-sensitized to all kinds of atrocities that could not even have been contemplated 20 years ago. Or is that just me, being an old biddy? :?
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Angelvamp wrote:If Edward had been born in a different time period, say like the 60's or 70's do you think he'd still be the wonderful, sweet, romantic, unselfish gentleman that he is? This seems like a nature vs nurture question (psych 101 anyone?). People would like to think that he would have the exactly the same values and personality traits, but I don't think so. There are some qualities that would remain the same, like his unselfishness and desire to do good, but I don't think he would be the gentleman that he is. This kind of behavior is learned, not innate. Granted, there are a lot of people out there who deviate from the way that they were raised. And I'm not saying that people didn't raise their kids "properly" (also, what does that mean?) in the 60's or 70's, merely that societal values were altering. For the most part, I really don't even see them altering all that much. However, with the technology explosion in the 60's, 70's and 80's, I can see a disturbing apathetic trend happening. People seem to be getting de-sensitized to all kinds of atrocities that could not even have been contemplated 20 years ago. Or is that just me, being an old biddy? :?
As first hand experrience of the changes in society in the years of 60''s and 70's I did rebelled but I do think you have a point about your surrroundings and the effects that it has on you, but the question is so broad that nobody could be right or wrong.
What if Bella was born in 1901? The essence of oneself I do not think would change, but the enviroment is a factor that would effect anyone. Would Edward have the same parents The question is way to open to get a response to it. Edward saw the changes and it changed his music, his love of fast cars but he didn't change who he was . Was Edward before he changed more the introvert or out going? I believe that the inner Edward would be the same, but the envoriment might change, but as you see I have mixed feelings because it one question that you just can't answer with so little of anything else. The same mom the same upbring ect ect.
Again I pose the question Why do you think that Edward has the ability fo read people's thoughts ?
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

Why do you think that Edward has the ability fo read people's thoughts ?
Do you mean:
1. How did he aquire the ability to read people's thoughts?
or
2. Why is it important for the character Edward to read people's thoughts?

In the case of #1, I think it was a latent talent that was augmented by his transformation into a vampire. He probably had a "sixth sense" about what people were thinking already, without putting much stock in his ability or even recognizing he had an ability at all. Like how Bella could block his mind reading as a human and became an incredibly strong shield after becoming a vampire. In fact, Charlie probably would have a strong shielding ability if he were to be transformed - as evidenced by Edward's difficulty in reading his thoughts.

As for #2, it's anyone's guess. It would make things more interesting and give an added supernatural (as if we needed more!) dimension to the character.